“Amazon let us down”

Maya Kogul was in California when Hurricane Irma began twirling toward Florida.
She knew stores would run out of key supplies before she got back to her downtown Miami home earlier this week, so she placed an order for three cases of water through a Nestle water delivery company. She waited and waited, but the order didn’t come.
More than 50 Floridians told The Associated Press that they did not receive flashlights, battery-operated radios, boxed milk, water bottles and first-aid kits after placing orders on Amazon.com and Nestle’s ReadyRefresh.
-WiscoDave

*****

Amazing. People are blaming Amazon for their own lack of preparedness.

I don’t consider myself to really be a prepper, at least not what the general public thinks when they hear the term prepper after all the bullshit MSM has put out about them.
I do however have food, water, fuel, a generator, all that good stuff on hand, no matter what the season. Why, I even have a weather radio so I can get an early warning about storms.

Other than a five gallon bucket crammed full of dehydrated/freeze dried Mountain House meals, a million gallon filtration system and my medical pack, we didn’t bring any of our preps from California due to space constraints. Everything we have was acquired here, even on my very limited budget.

The only thing that we really felt a pinch when buying it was the generator because that was our largest single purchase and that was only about 400 bucks and that was bought with money we had in our moving budget. Everything else was bought a little at a time.
We buy our canned goods from the Sav-a-lot – they’re off brand goods but with a few spices you can’t tell. At an average of 70 cents a can, we can pick up an extra case or two when we do our monthly shopping.
Gasoline – A 5 gallon can costs about 15 bucks. I had a couple and bought 4 more over a period of 4 months (limited budget, remember?) and they get filled as needed at a cost of about 11 bucks. I use that gas throughout the month so it never goes bad, but I add a stiff dose of Sta-bil to it anyways, just in case.
Water – 5 gallon cans and $2.50 cases – so cheap that there’s really no excuse to not buy a case or two when you shop.

And yet there are people out there who depend on Amazon for emergencies.

My dad had a saying that’s stuck with me over the years – “A lack of planning on your end does not constitute an emergency on my end”.

This entry was posted in Prepping, WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to “Amazon let us down”

1. Abe Froman says:

Rubbermaid rolling tub w/Camp stove and lantern, small tent, 5 gallon propane tank, pot and pan, etc etc.

5 gallon buckets w/rope, first aid kit, trash bags and a pool noodle (got to crap somewhere),etc. Batteries in a Rubbermaid box on the shelf above the Tub, so I use them in rotation to make sure they’re fresh. Doesn’t cost much and doesn’t take a lot of effort.

2. WiscoDave says:

But I paid for Amazon Prime, dammit!
    I would love to see a commercial where spare mags are delivered just in time during a firefight by a UPS guy…

• AC says:

If I ever win the lottery, I’ll have a fake commercial made with a FedUPS truck pulling up to a house, the Mexican driver getting out with a package and heading toward the door. But stopping in the yard, and putting the package on the ground, backing up from it, then rushing toward it and kicking the package at your door.

GOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

The driver then runs around your front yard, pulling his shirt off, and other Mexicans run up, out of nowhere, to celebrate the goal with the driver.

This is how I presume my packages are sometimes delivered, based on the condition of the boxes.

3. STW says:

My wife coordinated purchases of emergency supplies for a group for a number of years. Some people bought a little something every other month. Over time they built quite a stash. I didn’t pay much attention but she tells me we have supplies for several months. There’s even a #10 can of hard candy somewhere. I expect, however, to be accused of hording. Idiots! Nobody can ever explain how my purchases five years ago prevented them from buying something two weeks ago.

4. STxRynn says:

I was in Victoria 2 days after Harvey. I work for a shipping company in the IT department. I saw a dozen emergency generators ordered from Home Depot, Lowes and Amazon. Ordered too late. Sitting on the floor waiting for all the high priority packages, (medicine, legal docs) to be delivered.

This company also provides generators and water for the employees in the line of fire. Almost all that were shipped out were marked “Does Not Work”.

One of our stations is 2 blocks from the Gembler Road shelter checkin in San Antonio. They posted no concealed carry posters all over the gates. There were at least 6 police cars at the entrance and exit, and more scattered around the parking lot.

If you rely on anyone else, you may not like the outcome.

5. ed357 says:

Free food grade buckets……check the bakery at your local grocery store……

and…..

Survival food by the Numbers……

• Exile1981 says:

He’s planning for a very short disruption vs a long term collapse. His advice missesout on fruits and certain veggies. So it’sok advice for a week but not for 2 or 3 months.

6. Okie says:

I’d expect amazon come hell and high water !!!!
    That’s what I’m paying for isn’t it ?!? I think that having a certain degree of self reliance is a required attribute for country/rural living. I am not an “extreme” prepper, but I could stay solvent for quite a while if necessary.
    I recently discovered a grocery store that wasn’t there a few months ago. Built on tribal land, owned by some Indians, literally out in the middle of a wheat field. It’s only about five miles from here. Otherwise the nearest one is about fifteen miles. Super Blue Hell (WM) is eighteen.

7. Trib says:

The Hillary. It is always someone else’s fault.

8. Winston Smith says:

Yeah, youre a prepper, Ken.

Naw, I just have an unreasonable fear of dying of hunger when I can prevent it.

• John Deaux says:

That motivation alone should be enough to stash a little extra on the side.
        Hurricanes, tornadoes, forest fires, landslides, earthquakes, blizzards, etc some kinda bad shit can get you no matter where you live in this world.

9. bogsidebunny says:

Just about 45 minutes ago my USPS person delivered my Amazon order. Sunday deliveries are great.

10. John Deaux says:

I believe it’s all in where your priorities lay. If having the latest, biggest damn tv you can get thru the door is important to you then the lack of instant gratification will keep you from being somewhat prepared. The keeping up with your neighbors spending is a path to ruin for the sheep who buy into it.
    If you love your family it makes sense to do some preparing as a just in case

11. xtron says:

preps??? my mom use to say….it’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

12. kennymac says:

“dehydrated/freeze dried Mountain House meals,”

Try the beef stroganoff, it’s excellent.

13. Bacon says:

“we didn’t bring any of our preps from California due to space constraints”

I’m sorry to hear of your loss. Thought you’d sold everything and brought whatever you still wanted. Hope you got those extra preps sold instead of wasted.

When I make my long distance move, I expect to make multiple trips with the trailer just for this reason. I’m leaving the furniture behind but bringing the preps!

14. Bacon says:

I never really understood why people shop the way they do. I can’t judge what choices others make, but for me both patriotism and economics dictate that I don’t ever shop at walmart, or amazon, or really any big box bigger than the supermarket.

Because walmart has made a business model out of destroying local communities, and putting small stores out of business, and lowering wages, and offshoring American manufacturing.

Because amazon is just as evil as facebook (for all the same data gathering behavior), and because they treat their employees like shit (they pay them better than walmart but actually treat them worse), and because their business model hurts local economies.

I don’t shop online. At all. I frankly don’t see the allure. I avoid big boxes. No judgement on what others do, simply confusion because I don’t understand. Each dollar spent really is a vote. It determines what kind of economy we and our neighbors get to enjoy. And I LIKE having and living in small local communities with vibrant economies.

We complain, but then we spend our dollars as usual, even though it’s within our power to determine the economic outcomes. Same way we keep voting for incumbents. Sigh.

(BTW, I’m not trashing all large chain stores. As Ken says, Save-A-Lot is a great store. So is Winco. So is H-E-B. So is Bi-Mart. And many others. But over recent years, I’ve watched Kroger destroy all the chains that it purchased, including the once-great Fred Meyer. I’ve watched Sears destroy both K-Mart and Sears. There’s something deeply wrong with corporate America’s business model. This isn’t really what “competition” looks like. Spending money at stores that don’t care about our communities seems as stupid as watering the wild kudzu.)

That’s one thing that’s strange about my town. It’s a small town of about 5000 people and it’s got a super walmart. Yet it still has every grocery store that was there before walmart – one of them less than a half mile away – and I bet there’s a half dozen hardware stores around town. Walmart does get busy on Sunday and the first of the month, but most days you can get a parking spot right up front.
      I shop locally as much as I can but if I can’t find it anywhere around town I’ll go to walmart. If walmart doesn’t have it I’ll get it online.

• Coyote Hubbard says:

Depending on where your at and your walmart, Some bean counters at walmart corporate determine the prices.
        I work at a walmart here when they opened after a remodel/expansion into a super walmart almost 6 years ago in the meat department. The processing is external for the meats, so we dont actually have a meat counter, and its interesting that over 75 percent of the product we sell, we sell at a loss – and yet its still more expensive price-wise than one of the local stores two blocks from my house. Guess where i buy my meat…
        So im not sure the angle they think that wins, but a robust locale will survive.
        Cant speak for every location that walmart has landed, but locally this is the case

• NewVegasBadger says:

I wandered into the Sears store at the Mall of America a couple of weekends ago. Instead of being the jewel in the crown of Sears, it looked like rundown shop; minimal staff, not enough items out on the racks, looking half empty, open boxes of shoes laying on the floor. It is only a question of how soon, Sears goes out of business for good. That goes for K-Mart too. It seems, that if there is some way to screw up a good business, the CEOs running it will find a way to do so.

I have found that there are some items that can only be found online. One example is Varusteleka.com. a company from Finland that sells, military surplus, hunting and camping gear. I’ve purchased items that I can not get any store, big box or local. Another online store that I can recommend is Keep Shooting.com

The recent hurricanes have shown once again the stupidity of the public. If you live in that area and you know one is coming at you, not smart to wait till the last minute to leave. One ought to have a clue of the weather hazards of where you live and plan accordingly. Living in the Midwest (MN &WI), winter can turn extreme. So I have a winter kit that I keep in my truck. I may never need it, but it is a comfort to have an extreme cold sleeping bag in the back seat. It has happened where the power goes down for a while. Having the extra gear and stuff on hand means the outage is annoying and not a “crisis”. There is really no excuse for not having preps on hand. Another plug for going camping is that you can make your mistakes, while the consequences are small.
      One of the tag lines I use is: Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. But that means acting like an adult by planning ahead.

Here is a little tip: The very first rule in surviving a disaster is NOT to be there. Alas, some will STILL have to learn that lesson the hard way.

15. Doonhamer says:

Re your dad’s sayings – I think I like your dad. His son? Hmm…..