I spy…

Yes, voice technology is amazing. You can ask your phone a question. You can talk to your speaker system and even book an Uber. With the right setup, you can verbally lock the doors in your house, dim the lights, and change the thermostat. All across America, people are embracing their oral fixation.

Virtual assistants are handy, but they’re always listening. As more manufacturers and developers jump onto the audio tracking bandwagon, you may wonder how much your devices are recording. And what happens to the audio files they gather?

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to I spy…

1. NewVegasBadger says:

It is a 100% certainty that what ever they do with those audio files you are NOT going to like it. You also have no way of knowing if that microphone is really turned off. Just because you turned it off does not mean that it is off, but rather still on recording every thing you say. And if they are, then what ever you say will be used against you, or has the potential to do so. Then there is the matter of computer hacking. I’m of the opinion that just because some thing is new, means that it is better. And there are times when the old school way, is just fine with me. Remember the more complex the technology, the more that can go wrong with it, along with the related unintended consequences.

2. Joe says:

I am as paranoid as NewVegasBadger and would not have a smart house, i do not use Serious or MS cassi.

• crazyeighter says:

Obligatory “My wife asked me why I carry a gun in the house. I looked at her and said decepticons. She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good time.” joke here.

3. randmacnally! luis says:

Heck, used that Google driving directions thing, have toured Phoenix airport thanks to it. Gone around blocks..a few times with that make a left in a hundred feet, make a right, make a left..
    Or make a left at the next exit, 20 feet away, and it’s rush hour and I’m stuck 4 lanes over in the right lane..
    Hope they recorded my cursing….

4. Exile1981 says:

I know of one company that used spyware on company laptops to see how much time the employes spent in front of the computer. That was 2008, I’m positive that its even more common now.

Remember that roomba now owns the map to your house. If you allow a current generation unit it maps the house and sends it back to the company….. why?

• Arc says:

Lenovo superfish scandal, they got caught like three times and barely got a slap on the wrist, if that.

Verizon uses super cookies / injects header information so even if you use a VPN, your internet traffic can be tracked.

5. friendofman says:

So just how easy will it be for hackers to unlock the doors?

6. Westcoaster says:

Dumbass people are buying these devices because they’re lazy and they’re voluntarily ushering in complete and total 1984. I wouldn’t be surprised if the gov doesn’t require such devices in every household soon “for your safety”. No thanks, I’ll be unplugging mine…..oops!