What should you think about when using Facebook?

Facebook, for better or worse, has become our living room, our third place online. It’s the place where we talk to friends, sound off on the news, organize events, grieve over people we’ve lost, celebrate babies, engagements, new jobs, new haircuts, and vacations.

Facebook, the platform, has taken up such a large part of our mindshare and has started to serve as our pensieve. Because of this, it’s important to understand what Facebook, the company, is doing with our hopes, dreams, political statements, and baby pictures once it gets them.

And gets them it does. In 2014, Facebook engineers wrote that they have about 600 terabytes of data coming in on a daily basis.

For perspective, the size of War and Peace, the text is 3.1 megabytes. The 1966 Soviet movie version of War and Peace the movie is 7 hours long, or 8 gigabytes in size.

So people are uploading the equivalent of 193 million copies of War and Peace books, or 75,000 copies of War and Peace movies, every single day.
-WiscoDave

This entry was posted in FB, WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to What should you think about when using Facebook?

1. drjim says:

I only use FarceBook for keeping in touch with some friends, and a few groups I’m in.

• WiscoDave says:

More than enough. I found it amazing how they can obtain so much info with even as low a profile as yours.

• drjim says:

WELL…. I’ve on the InterTubes since the early 1990’s, way before anybody worried about, or even thought about, how much info about themselves was out there, or what they could do about it.

I’d probably have to go into the “double secret” witness protection program to disappear from the Web….

• Bacon says:

The fuckers have a system that constantly tracks every computer as you surf around the web, so they know most of your browsing history, whether or not they know who YOU are, and whether or not you ever use farcebook. Then, if you log in (even once), they now know who owns that particular computer. That’s part of how they obtain so much personal info from low profile users.

And no, clearing your memory doesn’t affect their tracking system.

2. czechsix says:

No idea what I should think about when using it – I don’t use it. Entire extended family does though, and instagram, and twitter.

Might be why I don’t get many calls any more, come to think of it.

3. Heathen says:

I have never had a FaceBorg account. and have no plans to change matters.

I will not be assimilated into the hive mind.

4. 1980XLS says:

What’s a Facebook?

5. Steve in KY says:

I got banned so many times I said screw em.

6. Inbred Redneck says:

I guess I just live in a different world than those to whom “mindshare” is a real word with any rational meanin’.

7. John Deaux says:

I’m considered a dinosaur by most who know me.
    No fb, twitter, instagram or anything else like those.
    I do have a cell phone but it’s a very basic plan

8. M. Sage says:

I shut my FB account down almost a year ago. One of the best decisions I ever made.