When cops are treated like ordinary citizens

A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that Seattle police can only use force “proportional” to the threat they face, seriously damaging the Seattle Police Department’s ability to use firearms.

The ruling from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the use of force reforms put in place by federal mandates under the Obama administration that required police to use only “objectively reasonable force, proportional to the threat or urgency of the situation,” the Associated Press reports. The unanimous ruling strikes down a lawsuit filed by a group of more than 120 Seattle officers in 2014 who claimed that the strict reforms infringe on an officer’s right to self defense and the Second Amendment.
-WiscoDave

This entry was posted in To Serve..., WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to When cops are treated like ordinary citizens

1. Winston Smith says:

They still have the 2A Right regardless…….as citizens.
    As cops, they have to use force no more than 1 level higher than the threat level + have to follow the job policies which cannot be more permissive than the threat level +1 scale.

Don’t like it? Then go find another job/career.

• MMinLamesa says:

Bullshit.

You’re gonna send police out into potential death traps and require them to hesitate? Have them think about measuring force levels while the bad guy can instantly act? Good luck with that.

• 1980XLS says:

What does this ruling have to do with the possibility of creating an increase in ambushes? Besides nothing?

• Chris Mallory says:

Yes. If they want to live off the sweat of the citizen’s brow, then they need to face some risk. The life of a citizen is worth more than the life of a government employee. We need them to de-escalate and not be so quick to shoot. If it were up to me, cops would be disarmed on the job. Fuck em.

• Bigg Ale says:

Any of you ever been a cop? I have and you’re blowing smoke out your ass. This will be overturned just like many of the 9th Circuits decisions before. Chris, you sound like an angry little boy. You get busted and never got over it? If you truely feel that way, don’t ever call for the police.

• Chris Mallory says:

I have never been a rapist or a thief, but I can damn well judge them.
            Well, Ale, I have never needed a cop at any time in my 50 years on this planet, I really doubt I will need one in the next 50.
            Citizens through their representatives have the right to set the job conditions of government employees. There is nothing to overturn.

• David Lawson says:

Now is time for a conversation about Police Reform. Here is some issues that I would like to be addressed

The Militarization of them. (Stop giving them all this Army Surplus)

The issue of using more often the tactic of de escalation. (Remember the Term Peace Officer?)

Another issue that should be addressed that of stop making them tax collectors with the asset forfeitures / unreasonable tickets / fees etc.

Also the issues of selection, training, leadership accountability need to be addressed.

Another thing that I would love to hear from somebody senior in rank. “Yes the Cops can be assholes. Care to guess who made them that way? You the public did.”

Also I would love to hear a Politician say to everybody. “Hey we all need to dial it back here folks! Why don’t we all just relax for a minute and chill out?”

As to the use of violence to keep things under control.

Yes I agree! There is a time & place for being a tough guy & to beat the shit out of some body.

But I am very willing to bet that there is a time for that. But is rare and far between for the most part.

• bettysteve says:

they also need to stop being “militarily trained” the whole “brothers in blue fighting the war” what “war”? the “us vs them” mentality drilled into them at rookie school. There is a great way to “de escalate”

2. Miles Long says:

9th circuit gets one right.

3. Wayne says:

Since I grew up in the era of, “Bang, Stop or I’ll shoot”, I cannot disagree more with this ruling. Criminals need to FEAR the police or it just doesn’t work. Bodycams should be the rule for all police for their (and our) protection, since all police are not as “reserved” as necessary. Even though there are some bad police, I still trust a cop more than a thug.

Now if we can only get the police to shoot only at criminals that are committing crimes that are endangering the cops or the general public, we’d be set.
      The thing is, cops are not judge, jury and executioner but a good portion of them think otherwise.

I had a cop tell me one time that he would run down anybody he saw carrying a gun on the streets. When I pointed out to him the fact that open carry was legal in California (at that time) he told me he didn’t give a fuck and those were his exact words.

• MMinLamesa says:

Yes there are bad cops. In fact you can almost say that the fact there are bad cops proves there are no good cops. But I don’t know how I could have gone through life with a fair amount of police encounters and not have had one that resulted in something other then being fairly treated.

And there were several serious hard asses among those encounters.

I know that’s anecdotal and it only takes one time/one over reaction for me to be dead but it ain’t happened. I’d like to say not acting like a GD fool has probably had something to do with that.

• Winston Smith says:

That’s where the cameras come in. Soon, all cop cams will broadcast live back to a central location. Hopefully they wont be used to micromanage, but be there to serve as evidence.

I am a 100% believer in body cams and often carry one in case the need arises. Cops should be 100% mandatory, disciplining/firing offense if they fuck with it.

EVERYBODY acts nicer when they think their actions/words may show up in court.

• Chris Mallory says:

Cops, and all government employees for that matter, need to fear the citizens. That is why we have the 2nd Amendment. They work for us. The master should not be in fear of the servant.

4. Unclezip says:

Looks like the 9th is taking seriously the threats to split it into several parts.

5. Chris Mallory says:

Cops do not have rights while they are on the job. They have delegated powers and privileges. Since they are delegated, the citizens or our representatives can remove those powers and privileges from them. If they don’t like that, then they are more than welcome to find honest work where they don’t live off the sweat of my brow.

All cops are trained liars. I would not trust a cop to tell me what color the sky was.

• soapweed says:

Chris: You’re hitting on all eight, my friend. I am saddened when remembering ‘officer friendly’ and what great guys they were back in the day…..

6. pigpen51 says:

I remember when I was a kid, it was common for police to fire a warning shot. Thank the lord that is no longer the case, at least, not as far as I have heard. The old, fire a warning shot to the back of the head happened more than once, if I recall correctly. And back in the sixties, no one thought to question the police in the places where it happened.

7. CC says:

“Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely”
    A component of human nature that will never be overcome..