A question from Gamegetter II

Kenny,
My brother has a mid 1980’s Barnett Thunderbolt crossbow.
He is having a hard time finding a new string for it. That’s all that’s wrong with the crossbow – the center of the string – (serving?) where string launches bolt – keeps unwinding which makes it shoot to whichever side it unwinds the day he’s shooting it. A new string would solve the problem.
We don’t have any archery shops left around here, Gander Mountain had a great bow tech and archery dept. but they are gone. Cabelas is no help.
I would appreciate it if you could post and maybe a reader knows where to get replacement string.

This entry was posted in Hunting, Tips and tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to A question from Gamegetter II

1. Chaz says:

You can make your own crossbow string. It’s the same as a regular bowstring only shorter and thicker. You need a jig (DIY) and (e.g.) Fastflylte or Dyneema string and some serving twine. Search ‘how to make a bowstring’.

2. Skipperdaddy says:

I have a Barnett Jackal and last time I took it to Bass Pro in Seiverville.

3. SAM says:

Emailing Barnett worked for me.

4. Jon Moore says:

If you strike out locally, call Fin Feather and Fur in Ashland Ohio (419)-281-2557 and ask for Chris Murphy. He’s a string maker and pretty knowledgable about all things archery.

• gamegetterII says:

There’s a Fin Feather and Fur close to us in Middleburg Hts. they were no help.
      The Ashland one is close to where we hunt. I remember when Fin Feather and Fur was just starting out in mid 1980’s, was in downtown Ashland then and I think it was attached to owners house.
      We’ll check out Ashland Fin and hopefully they can help.

5. JeffB says:

You can ship it to Rocky Mountain Archery, they’ll restring it and give it a tune up:

They did good work on my crossbow.

6. The Old Man says:

Glad to see you help us folks in Cuyahoga County. You da man, WC!