CharlieGodammit update

He’s showing a little improvement.
He still doesn’t want to put his weight on his right front foot and there is some swelling but he doesn’t appear to be in pain. Obviously there is some tenderness because he does growl at me when I rub it but it can’t be too bad because he hasn’t bitten the fuck out of me yet.
I don’t know just how much the fucker is faking it seeing as I’m pretty much waiting on him hand and foot – he’s got his water dish right next to his white rug that he lays on, I brought his food to him yesterday and today, he’s got bones and treats and a hard boiled egg this afternoon. Hell, I even offered to hold him up while he takes a shit if he needed me too.
He may have broken a bone in his foot, but nothing is out of place if you know what I mean.
I may be being played here, I don’t know.

This entry was posted in CharlieGodammit, Dogs. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to CharlieGodammit update

1. rayvet says:

Where on the leg is the swelling. Coming up from the toes first major joint is the “carpus” which is like our wrist, then 1/2 way up the leg is the elbow. If the swelling is in the carpus depends on how high in the joint as to what it might be. If it’s below the joint itself, then yes, a broken bone in the “foot” (the bones are called metacarpus and they are equal to our “hand bones” just above our fingers) could be the cause. A few weeks of R&R and everything would probably heal and be back to normal. If swelling is just above joint, I’d have some concern about a hairline fracture of the radius or ulna bones (you know, the ones us old fucks break if we fall while skiing, skating or doing something our asses shouldn’t be doing cause we’re old) and that would not heal as well without some type of stabilization. You may wind up getting forced to take him for an x-ray. If it had been an insect bite/sting etc. the swelling would typically be gone by now with no evidence of lameness so we can eliminate that.

It’s below the first joint. His foot is slightly swollen with some very minor swelling going up about an inch or two above the ankle which is why I’m not tripping too much.

2. Terry says:

Thanks. How many emails did you get asking for an update? I thought about it but figured you probably got dozens.
    He would probably like some ice cream.

3. John Deaux says:

He’s figured out how to bust through all the grizzle and find your soft spot, lol.
    Give him a scratch behind the ear for me.

4. james says:

look for a splinter if the one of the foot pads is swelling. My dog always finds a way to get little sharp pointy things in between pads. soaking it in a solution of warm water/epsom salts helps (15 min).

5. .45-70 says:

WTF? Take him to the damn vet, quit guessing.

We are resonsible for their well being.

If he was showing any sign of pain or distress, I would. He’s not whimpering, whining or complaining one bit. Trust me, he’s a very vocal dog and if he was in pain, I’d know it.

6. Deb says:

I hope you got CGD a bell to ring when he needs something like a chicken leg, a raw hide chew or maybe a belly rub.

Are you kidding? That damned dog doesn’t want for anything and never has. If he wants something or my attention he woofs me until I get up and get it. Lisa says he’s got me trained rather well.

7. DW says:

Hope CGD gets well soon. Maybe you should let him sleep in the bed and you take his rug. I bet that would help him heal quicker. I’m sure he would agree. Just sayin.

8. One of the many Bills says:

Should I send him some beef jerky?

9. Elmo says:

Yeah. He’s got your number.
    He’s like the 18 year old that I had to say goodbye to last spring. His specialty was doing whatever he wasn’t supposed to do, then looking at me innocently with his little tongue barely sticking out. He knew I loved him and would get over my anger quickly after ‘that look’.
    I still miss the little turd like the dickens.

• nonncom says:

Had to put my Jack Russell down….hardest thing I ever did….sobbed like a baby….still haven’t replaced her….I used to tell people she was trained to be a free spirit…I’d call her and she would ignore me, and I’d say “:Good girl”….some thought it was funny….

HA! That sounds like me and Legal Lucy. I can call her and she’ll wag her tail and run to a corner. “Good girl… Come here, Lucy” and she’ll wag her tail, duck her head and run to the couch. We’ll do that shit for 5 minutes at a time, Lisa laughing her ass off the entire time.

10. Bud says:

You’ve been Pavloved. when Pavlov was conducting his famous experiment on behavior modification (ring bell while feeding, eventually bell sound causes dog salivation), the wife’s cat would lie in the lab’s sunny window, and come down & wind around Pavlov’s ankles till he let it out. Pavlov detested the cat, eventually the mere action of the cat moving from the window would cause P to automatically get up & open the door.

11. Klaus says:

K9s are pretty tuff and don’t register pain the same way we do. I had a GSP some years back that had ripped his belly open on some barbed wire. I found out when he was jumping up and down with the rest of them when It it was time for dinner. His intestine was popping through and all he wanted was his kibble. A trip to the vet and a few staples and all ended well but what a scare. Get him looked at.

12. haha! luis says:

Well, I’m glad no nuts will be getting better.

13. SgtBob says:

One of my dogs was all grins for the cute vet assistant, but went back to limping when the ass’t left the room. I said, “You faker!” The vet said, “Dogs don’t fake injuries.” I thought: You spent four years in vet school, but you didn’t learn about lying dogs? How much am I paying you?

14. Aggie says:

I guess you’re pretty sure it’s not a snakebite, right? Had a pitbull get a cottonmouth strike to the neck once, swole up as big as a small cantaloupe. Took about 3 weeks to go down but never seemed to phase her, she looked like Siamese twins there for a while..

15. Buck says:

My old dog did the same thing CGD is. Turned out to be Osteo Sarcoma (bone cancer), Had to have his left leg removed up to the shoulder. He died 4 months later, the cancer was in his spleen. Please,… have his foot and leg xray’d.

16. James says:

I hope the pooch is playing you for a sucker and nothing really wrong with him.I would say set him out on porch,a critter comes by he likes to chase will at least make a attempt,he doesn’t,take him in for X ray,hope the dude just milking a boo boo,get well Charlie!