God bless you, Capt. Rose

Officially, retired Army Capt. Gary “Mike” Rose was never in Laos at the height of the Vietnam War.

Rose, now 69, served as a medic in the Military Assistance Command Studies and Observations Group, an elite division of the Special Forces. It was so secret that, for more than four decades, he never spoke about it to anyone – not even the people he served with.

Those that served with him, however, never forgot the bravery he showed during a four-day mission, called “Operation Tailwind,” in the landlocked country in September 1970.
-WiscoDave

*****

Holy shit, watch the video and listen to the Citation being read. That’s a hell of a war story right there.
Now check out the guy holding the MOH while it’s being read. That dude has arms of steel, it never wavers the entire time.

This entry was posted in USA, WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to God bless you, Capt. Rose

1. SAM says:

Why did they take so long to give him this? I would put money on people who have know him for years not knowing about this.

• Unclezip says:

Some things are best kept to yourself, even from friends and family. Nobody in my family – parents, kids, grandkids, know anything other than I was gone a few years, and came back different.

• Jeffery in Alabama says:

I bet you are right about those who know him “not knowing”. I’ve only met a few men who were in really thick combat who cared to speak of their experiences. Naturally, there wasn’t any embellishing either.

2. Chris says:

I watched this ceremony today. He earned 2, or 1 with an oak leaf cluster or whatever they use for the 2nd award.

• Chris says:

Only Combat Medic for 135 guys, 60-70 of whom are wounded, including himself, after 4 days of non-stop combat. Rose repeatedly refuses evac. On the last chopper out, he treats the Marine door gunner who gets shot in the throat. 800 meters after lift off, Rose’s bird gets shot down. Rose pulls everyone out, establishes a defense, and awaits another dust off. Treats the rest of the wounded and gets everyone out. Yes, I know he was awarded 1 Medal. He should have gotten 2. Oh, yeah, this was his 2nd combat mission. Still had a year to go.

3. Kid says:

He was initially awarded the Distinguished Service Award which is the 2nd highest. Also 12 of those that served with him were there for the presentation.

4. massimo7 says:

they are finally starting to recognize those guys after all these years.

5. Inbred Redneck says:

I ain’t got a hair on my ass, compared to this guy. Salute!

6. Paulie says:

Big balls. Big.

7. pigpen51 says:

The M.O.H. is of course not given to just anybody. I just helped lay to rest my brother in law, a former Army soldier, who was shot in Vietnam. I knew he had a purple heart, but I didn’t know that he had received 2 silver stars while he was there. They don’t give them to just anybody. The only time he spoke to me about his time there, he said that the outpost he was at had a 75% casualty rate. He said that pretty much everybody that went there and spent more than a week or more was going to get shot. He got hit in the arm, bad enough to go home. He became an insurance man, built a huge log cabin up in northern michigan, and died in his sleep while up there bird hunting with his son. Although only 71, he lived a life that we all could envy.