If West Point Is This Bad…..

I’m sure most of my readers are familiar with the nastiness surrounding 2nd Lt. Spenser Rapone, who posed in uniform for pro-Communist photographs and disrespected the Secretary of Defense and others on his social media accounts.

An open letter by retired LtCol Robert M. Heffington, a former lecturer at the US Military Academy at West Point, paints a grim picture of the institution.
-Doc

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to If West Point Is This Bad…..

1. James says:

Obummer purged the military of it’s senior leadership. The results are now plain to see.- red shoes and pregnancy vests for male soldiers, sexual assault, naval ships that collide with container scows, female combat commanders (pace, chick fighter pilots association!), “married” lesbian USAFA and Eilson AFB commanders. When there is no principled adult leadership to enforce standards, then crap like this flourishes. IT WAS DONE ON PURPOSE, FOLKS.

Do you understand, yet?

2. SAM says:

Years ago (and not that many) people went to West Point to become a army officer, but now they join as they want to go into business and get out of the army as soon as they can.

• majmike says:

Yup. The majority of the West Pointers in my Infantry Officer Basic Course planned on only serving the minimum requirement and then separating. This was in in 1978, but I doubt things have changed over time.

3. NewVegasBadger says:

The notion of Duty, Honor, Country is dead. Many of the army officers I encountered were careerist ticket punches, whose primary focus was on the size of their retirement check and benefits when they got out and who they can work for once out of uniform. Being a consultant for a defense contractor can be very, very profitable.

4. One of the many Bills says:

I guess a firing squad is out of the question then?

5. LeoD341 says:

Our congresswoman emailed her constituents several years ago begging for military service academy nominees. I suggested it to several young people I knew and none of them were even slightly interested. I don’t think they are recruiting a lot of good people anymore.

6. majmike says:

The Israeli Defense Forces function quite well without service academies. My understanding is that all IDF officers serve in the ranks as NCOs and then complete a vigorous Officer Candidate School program. Worth a thought.

7. leonard cook says:

I always believed that all officers should come from the ranks and be at least a junior NCO as well.

8. bradoplata says:

Quit enrolling new classes, wait for the one’s already there to get out, close it down and decide if you want to start over or not. Everyone a certain level and above needs to find something else to do.

9. Steve says:

Standards went out the window years ago. Hell when I went through Airborne school in ’89 female trainees who screwed up landings got moved on to the next phase of training, never had to do them over and over until they got it cold. I did so many of those PLF’s that I was pulling wood chips out of my uniforms eight months after I graduated. One of the instructors there said something to us on the qt, when one of my buddies noticed this out loud. Said instructor said, “Gentleman if you value your career here and wish to move on, keep those observations to yourself and realize that the ONLY reason they’re here in the first place can be boiled down to one word; politics. They’ll never have perform at the level that you are expected to.”

• crazyeighter says:

Yes, and the precise result of this was MAJ Nidal Hassan at Fort Bliss Texas, Kara Hultgren in the F-14, Valerie Delaney in the EA-6B and others too numerous to mention.

10. warhorse says:

make all potential west point cadets serve at least 4 years as an enlistedman before they can attend. any gaps in leadership to be filled by Warrant Officers.