My day (so far)

Lisa opened the door first thing this morning and both the dogs shot off the porch to do their morning drill and Lisa came back inside to get her coffee. Lucy came back up to the door whining then took off again so Lisa poked her head out and saw CharlieGodammit laying on his side about 50 yards from the house with Lucy barking and running circles around him. Lisa came in and woke me saying Charlie was hurt.
By the time I got up and a pair of pants on, he was up to the house carrying his right front leg so I picked that heavy bastard up and got him onto the porch and started checking him out.
He’s not showing any signs of distress – no pain, no swelling and no sign of injury, and he can move it but he can’t put his weight on it. Matter of fact, he’s laying on his left side right now next to my chair and waving his right leg around in the air like he does when he wants a belly rubbin. But yeah, I checked his leg, rubbing and squeezing it from top to bottom and worked his shoulder and he was showing no sign of pain whatsoever. He did growl at me a bit when I was rubbing his toes but he’s always done that – he never has liked anybody fucking with his feet.
There’s no loss of appetite either – when I asked if he was hungry his head popped up and he tried to get up, but I told him to stay and brought his food in to him and he ate his food just fine. That’s not unusual for him though – that motherfucker would eat if meteorites were crashing down around the house.
I’m going to keep an eye on him and if there’s no improvement by tomorrow morning or if he starts showing any sign of pain at all today, I’ll take him to a vet. Personally I think he just twisted his leg a bit.
It was kinda trippy though with Legal Lucy doing the Lassie thing – “Come quick! Timmy’s hurt!” – because to be honest with you, that dog’s just not that fucking bright.

This entry was posted in CharlieGodammit, Dogs, Legal Lucy. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to My day (so far)

1. WiscoDave says:

Wish him well. Dogs are tough. Don’t always let on.

2. orlin sellers says:

I thoroughly enjoy reading these personal tidbits of yours.

3. C.R. says:

Well,I hope C.G.D. is alright , he sounds like a good dog,and a member of the family.

4. Drew in Michigan says:

Kenny, I got a yellow Lab, big beautiful great heart dog that someone threw away at 4 months (he’s gun shy big time) anyway his front left elbow can get tweaked if we play to hard. The vet said he grew up faster than his elbow could keep up and it’s a life long thing… With that said I agree with you CGD tweaked it. The vets do have “doggy Motrin” and that shit works great, just remember he’s still hurt when you give it to him. Just my 2 cents worth

• Gregbee says:

Ken I have a 12 year old black lab who also has hip & elbow problems. My vet has me give him a adult aspirin in the morning (wrapped in a piece of lunch meat) and another in the evening. I found depending on how much running & jumping around he does you may need to add another around lunch time. Make sure he has plenty of fresh water and don’t give him too many aspirin ” treats” so you don’t hurt his stomach or liver. I think some of your readers are vets who could advise you much better on CGD. Best wishes!

• Gregbee says:

Try to keep CGD off any slippery flooring so his leg doesn’t splay out until he’s feeling better. I would not push him til he is ready, let Legal Lucy guard the chickens for a few days!

5. Unclezip says:

A stroke is a possibility, Kenny. One minute they are standing, and the next they are on the ground. Happens a lot to the big dogs when they get to the top of the hill. Hope the old boy is well.

Nope, he’s perfectly lucid. I kept a close eye on him for a couple hours to see if he was going into shock but he didn’t. There’s some swelling now right at his ankle so I’ve got it wrapped.

6. Okie says:

My labs are always tweaking their toenails. When playing ball or trampling through the heavy brush in the woods or around the lakeshore chasing bunnies. “Bo” won’t let me cut his nails or I’ll get bit, so he chews them off or I have to drug him to clip them. “Gunnar” doesn’t mind so much. I can fuck up and cut them so short they bleed and not so much as a whimper. CGD is probably ok….
    My dogs act like they have a broken leg when it’s only a sticker….

7. John Deaux says:

Ol Charlie ain’t no pup anymore, arthritis, hip dysplasia or even a pulled muscle could be the culprit if no other obvious symptoms are evident.
    A baby or low dose asprin could be just what the dr ordered

8. Elmo says:

Lucy’s “not that bright”- Funny how instinct can make up for lack of intelligence.
    My best to Charlie. I hope it’s nothing serious. I’ll be sending some good vibes his way.

9. ???? ! Luis says:

Poor dog got no balls, What cha want from him?

10. Prof6pack says:

Scorpion bite ?

11. Sanders says:

He may have tweaked it, or maybe something bit him?

12. LFMayor says:

Hey Kenny, I had one of my dogs carry a leg after hunting rabbits and she ended up having some thorns in her shoulder. Took a while to find them, but it looked like she ran up against a honey locust or some hedge and they had snapped off in her. After I tweezered them out she quit limping right away, those damn honey locust have a resin on them that really kicks ass.

Hope he gets to feeling better man.

13. Exile1981 says:

Hope CGD gets better. Us, the kids and assorted animals are all fine. We got an emergency evac notice last night as a grass fire and 130km winds came through. This morning I still have my property, fire burned a mile wide swath parralel to my fence line and 60 – 70 feet away from it. House is coveted in ash and everything smells like smoke but we are all fine.

Proud of the kids, on short notice they managedto get the vehicle packed and ready to go.

14. 9Booger says:

Think you are correct Kenny, he just pulled something. My big dumb Lab Sammie has done it twice. She is a hog and would not even get up for food. Next day she was almost back to normal. Second day it was like nothing had happened

15. Jay says:

my Texas Lacys twist an ankle from time to time, it resolves quickly….

16. buzz1949 says:

Charlie, get well soon

17. pigpen51 says:

We had a small dog, that had jumped down from the car onto the ground, and put his knee out of joint. We could not afford to pay a couple thousand for surgery, so the doctor knocked him out and put it into place as best he could. It healed up slightly off, and he would occasionally pop it out. He would yelp, and walk with a limp for a few days. We gave him an orange flavored baby aspirin twice a day, when it was bad, and once a day, at all other times. Darned dog ended up getting epilepsy, and got mean and we had to put him down. Dogs can fill your life with joy, but they can break your heart as well. Just like people. I know I would rather put some people to sleep and have some of my dogs back.

18. Sunny says:

Aw, hell! I have never met this great big mutt but I love him anyway. Take care of the old boy. (and it sounds like you’re on top of it) I hope he feels better soon.
    sunny

19. 1980XLS says:

Hope CGD is OK. Sad that they cannot talk to us. Hopefully just a sprain, not more serious like a snakebite or something.

Nope, not a snakebite. There’s no blood or punctures.

• Rayvet says:

Possibly bee, wasp,spider or scorpion sting. If swelling is down overnight most likely what happened. Yellow jackets are a bitch about now. How old is he?

He’s about 10 or 11. He still can’t support his weight and there’s some swelling and tenderness between his ankle and foot now. He’s in good spirits and doesn’t appear to be in any pain.
          I gave him a quarter of a 15 mg tab of meloxicam but no aspirin or ibuprofen because I was told by a vet years ago they don’t tolerate NSAIDS very well.

20. Deb says:

Glad to hear CGD is pretty stable and in good spirits. Hopefully in a day or two he’ll be back to his normal wolfy self. Kudos to LL for letting you know Timmy was in the well!

21. -jon sr. says:

Hope he’s alright and gets better soon.

22. Trib says:

Harley our dog jumped off the sofa and strained a muscle in her back leg. Got better in about 3 weeks after belly rubs and extra food. CGD may have stepped in mole hole. Hope she gets better.

23. Coyote Hubbard says:

Please keep us updated. If he needs a vet call, I can contribute a bit.