Quote of the Day

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.”

– Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (1787)
HERE
-JD

This entry was posted in Patriots. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Quote of the Day

1. DanB says:

Great quote! I have it in my list of quotes. But…with each new generation, I find less and less of the ‘whole body of people” inclined to ‘resist the execution of a law’…. And for that, we can thank the educational & entertainment industries.

2. Thomas says:

Goverment and politicians should fear the body politic, and not just at the ballot box. I think we as citizens, have neglected running them out on rails.

3. nonncom says:

I’m borrowing this….ah hell, I’m stealing it….

4. DTG says:

Amen!!

5. Wayne says:

The quote might have been true in 1787, but no more. The armed civilian population is not greater than any military force that can be raised against it. We have been duped into thinking we have a Constitution and Bill of Rights that is sacrosanct. The 2nd states our right to bear arms cannot be infringed. That’s a joke. Infringed means to be limited in any slight way! The same with freedom of speech (hate crimes), search and seizure (DUI checkpoints), etc. BTW, arms do not mean only rifles and pistols – the rest of the items of protection available to law abiding citizens have been “infringed” away. I’ve already lived the majority of my allotted time on earth so I probably won’t survive to see the logical conclusion to what we have gradually allowed to be taken away. I pity the young.

6. Rob says:

The power of the media to shape the public’s view of “normal” is huge…as we can see today.

7. =T. Wrangler= says:

That quote is a concise summation of the ideals and intentions of the Founders.
    The Constitution they devised has proved to be a remarkably durable foundation of this Republic.
    A critical feature is the armed “body of the people” as a counterweight against tyranny.
    This I believe was based upon the formation of a class of citizens capable of promoting the interests of the Nation, as well as their own. It assumed a measure of assimilation and adjustment to a National identity, a social construct quite different from previous models.
    These citizens would be called Americans.

In recent times, special interests, “cultural diversity” and various splinter groups have fractured the country, reducing the unity of the country to a hollow mockery of its potential. I doubt the decay is reversible.
    Within a generation or two this country will be unrecognizable.