She’ll be comin’ ’round the mountain as she comes…

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to She’ll be comin’ ’round the mountain as she comes…

1. anonymous says:

If you have a chance to ride the narrow gauge line between Silverton – Durango in southwest Coloardo (near the Four Corners), i highly recommend it. Goes through some pristine mountain wilderness areas that make you want to jump off and go completely Sasquatch :^).

Thank you for the picture – it is rather awesome..

2. fjord says:

Look at all that beautiful global warming

3. idaho bob says:

God, I love steamers!

Bob

4. My dad apprenticed as a steamfitter for the German railway. When he ran away to sea he worked on steam ship engines.

Then he wound up in Western Canada, had a family and dragged us on a lot of vacations looking for and riding on those steamy buggers, which he loved to his dying day. And not just here, three road trips to California stopping in all these small places for a look-see or a ride on a steam train.

Good times, great times.

5. Winston Smith says:

Ahhh, some pollution nostalgia.

6. ignore amos says:

My Dad was a fireman on oil fired locomotives. He told me all the smoke was mostly for Hollywood. If you had an efficient fire, there wasn’t huge amounts of smoke. When you had the engine working hard, like on a steep hill, you’d throw a shovelful of sand in the firebox to scour out the flues, keeping things clean and efficient.

7. thos317 says:

I’ll second that endorsement of the Durango to Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. I took three rolls of 36 exposure film with me thinking that would be enough. Shot it all on the way up. Bought three more rolls in Silverton and shot it all on the way back.

8. NC Mike says:

My lovely wife booked a train ride for us this weekend on The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad . It’s my birthday present from her. It’ll be the first time I’ve ridden on a train, I’m looking forward to it.

From their website:
    Operating in 2017 on the Nantahala Gorge excursion, this shine and dine experience begins in a renovated First Class train fleet car, The Carolina Shine. The brand new interior design features copper lined walls filled with the history of moonshining in North Carolina. Learn about the proud tradition that the Appalachians established when bootlegging was an acceptable way of life and local home brews were the best in town. Read about Swain County’s very own Major Redmond, the most famous mountain moonshine outlaw of the 19th century…

More here:

9. Stretch says:

Steam Good! Diesel Bad!

10. Klaus says:

Looks like South America somewhere. I think I see bandits on the hill over there.

11. Phil B says:

It is a British Rail (that’s the company name) Standard Class 4 2-6-4T locomotive. These were used as commuter type locomotives and for short distance type runs.

Usually they painted the passenger haulers a Brunswick green and freight haulers black but if they needed a locomotive would use them as needed rather than rigidly sticking to the “black = freight, green = passenger” rule.

Wikipedia entry here:

Yep – I’m a boring bar steward and need to get out a bit more at night …

12. warhorse says:

my great-grandfather was an engineer for a land speed record on the newburyport-boston line (boston & maine railroad company) in 1848, going a whole 60 MPH. the train, called “the antelope” sat for years outside the boston museum of science. I hear it’s in a private collection now.

13. singlestack says: