So chitlins wouldn’t have been a good choice either?

DETROIT (WJBK) – Earlier this month, 41-year-old Robert Pattison went to introduce himself to his fellow firefighters at Engine 55 at Joy and Southfield in Detroit. Second Battalion Chief Shawn McCarty calls it a tradition for firefighters.

“It’s not mandatory, it’s voluntary,” he says. “You come in bearing gifts. The usual gift is doughnuts, but you are allowed to bring whatever you want to bring in.”

And Pattison, a probationary firefighter, decided to bring a watermelon wrapped in a pink ribbon. We’re told some African-American firefighters were instantly offended, since 90 percent of the people who work at Engine 55 are black.

*****

I don’t know what’s so racist about food – hell, I enjoy foods from all cultures. Chitlins, okra, schnitzel, hggis, menudo, kimchee….. I even ate goat eyes in a Greek restaurant once although I will admit that one was a one shot deal.

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to So chitlins wouldn’t have been a good choice either?

1. Fred Z says:

This is completely rational behavior by the black dudes. Good for them. If the politicos and bureaucrats are as gutless as they actually are, they should be plucked, skinned, shaved and roasted out of every cent possible.

I expect a lawsuit from those guys soon and a yuuuuge settlement.

2. John h. says:

I thought in a firefight the only colors were red. That guy mighta been their best fuckin friend with either a sense of humor like that or actually tryin to bring something universally enjoyed by all Americans. At least he didnt serve it in a hubcap??
    John h.

3. Andrew says:

Um. It’s a watermelon for fuck’s sake. Tasty goodness on a summer day.

Had this argument with blacks before about food.
    Turnip Greens? Yum, love that stuff. My CAJUN dad cooked it all the time.
    Mustard Greens? Same.
    Chitlins? Well, again, my dad ate them, never liked them.
    Fried Chicken? Fuck off, assholes. Fried food has been around for, well, fucking forever.
    Hog Jowls? Dad used to get a hog head and make head cheese all the time.
    Goat? That’s just good eating, as long as you knock the muslim off first.
    Squirrel, other small animal, etc? People have been living off of them for forever and a day.

So the fuck what is considered racist. It’s not like I’m laying down a patch of watermelons in order to catch runaway slaves….

4. DW says:

Joke em if they can’t take a fuck.

• crazyeighter says:

I thought firemen loved watermelon at a big fire scene to soothe their throats from the smoke.

5. Bud says:

is KFC buckets wif BBQ possum raciss?

6. Padawan says:

To quote Warhorse: You know what you can do if you can’t take a joke.

7. rightwingterrorist says:

Speaking as “that kid” who grew up around 96 and 23.
    Dirt road MI, Livingston Co.
    Let that place fucking burn.
    The first automatic rifle i eve shot was in Detoilet, New Years ’87, maybe ’88.
    Was heading out for Devils Night way before that, helping to eradicate that blight on Earth. Coleman ran that place into the ground and they have yet to learn.
    Anything awful coming out of there has yet to surprise me.
    Watermelons?
    Fuck off and die, Detroit!

8. Leonard Jones says:

First they came for the watermelon, then they came for the fried chicken.

9. skybill says:

Hi Kenny,
    As far as I am concerned…. “I LOVE WATER MELON!!!” Ever since I was a kid, i couldn’t wait for summer to come along for that “first ” water melon of summer!! “AND” at the 4th of July Picnic to get into the “Water Melon seed spitting contest!!!!!!!!!” What fun!! Well now all the blacks are “Offended” by “Water Melon” I hope they never eat another one……hehehehehe!! That’s just “MORE FOR ME!!!!!!!”
    skybill

10. bradoplata says:

Why risk a good job? It’s not like this crap hasn’t been all over the news. Wait until probation is over.

11. Free Citizen says:

Sounds like some asphalt apes were getting rid of the white guy so that another of their kind would get that job.

12. bogsidebunny says:

I bet $1,000 a set Boll & Branch white linen sheets would have been met with similar distain, just because a moth ate two holes in them.

13. Jim says:

A watermellon!? WTF. If this guy was racist he wouldn’t be working for Detroit fire dept. I looked at the picture of his class and he is literally the only white guy.

14. lineman says:

Well let’s see if he was dumb enough to want to work there then he was probably to dumb to recognize what he was doing… Also who sees starts a career in firefighting at the age of 41

15. John Deaux says:

Never had Greek style goat eyes but have had Chinese style chicken foot a few times.

16. a pink ribbon around a watermelon is actually a breast cancer awareness symbol. Maybe he has a friend who gave him one and so he brought it to the station.
    COMPLETELY innofensive.
    That pink ribbon is the giveaway for what was intended….or should we say, NOT intended.
    Fucking social justice warriors.

17. CC says:

Should have tied a noose around the melon-that really would have had them rolling their eyes…

18. Robert says:

Took a firefighter/EMT stress-reduction class wherein the big recommendation was to recharge nutritionally with … yup, watermelon.

Besides, an offering of decent fried chicken woulda just been pretentious.