Another study showing us what we already know

When it comes to your political leanings, you are what you drive, according to a new study that says election results can be predicted by the make and models of cars spotted in a particular community.

Stanford University researchers used a computer algorithm to determined whether a neighborhood leaned to the left or right by looking at vehicles in 50 millions of images from Google Street View in 200 American cities.

When sedans outnumbered pickup trucks, there was an 88 percent chance the city would vote Democratic.

In areas with more pickup trucks, the odds switched to 82 percent in favor of Republicans, the researchers concluded.

This entry was posted in Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Another study showing us what we already know

1. So Stupid! luis says:

Ha, I drive a Chevy pick up and fucked up the driver side bed panel just after the light backing up this morn, hell was planing on getting it repainted anyway.

2. Elmo says:

Makes sense. Pickup drivers get things done. Sedan drivers like to complain about the people that are getting things done.

3. M. Sage says:

Every time I look at a new place to move into, one of the first things I do is look at the cars in the neighborhood. You can judge a neighborhood and how good or shitty it is by what the people drive… or have on blocks in the yard.

Unless you’re in California. They live in shacks and drive Escalades.

• Elmo says:

You beat me to it, darn it.
        Just after Escalades came out I used to see one parked in front of an absolute shack in Clipper Mills, CA. The car was worth more than the ‘house’ and the property it was on combined. My thought seeing that was “WTF???”.

4. Nemo says:

When I read this article earlier, I’m thinking a nice way to manipulate small area population demographics and voting statistics, especially when the algos are designed and manipulated by companies like Google and Amazon.

5. Jeremy says:

Of course, people with pickups work for a living.

6. bogsidebunny says:

Critical thinking combined with common sense would come to the very same results. No Stanford University (government funded) researchers required.

7. Phil B says:

Hmmm … now if I can just get a obscenely large grant for a 10 year study into the correlation between granola bars, Pious drivers – I mean Prius – tofu eating and artisan, free range, organic, hand ground by peasants coffee shops to demonstrate that the people are Democrats, I’d be happy.

I’ll call it the “No shit, Sherlock” study.

8. Westcoaster says:

Okay, I’ll play this game. I drive a Prius Plug-In and live in SoCal. Guess who I voted for. (Here’s a clue, it’s NOT who you think!)

• Bacon says:

Okay, so you’re part of a small minority. Congratulations!

But OTOH, you still drive a prius and live in hell, so really, how important is it who you voted for?

I ain’t picking on you Westcoaster, I’m also stuck in a liberal shithole. But I don’t boast about it.

9. NewVegasBadger says:

Same goes for bumper stickers. A vehicle with multiple bumper stickers on it, generally will be a virtue signaling liberal. Safe bet too, the driver will be a woman. Imagine a Prius with Hillary for president, co-exist and a gay pride bumper stickers on it. Since I don’t want some douche bag trashing my pick-up, I keep it clean of any bumper stickers or other decals. Except for the one about “not playing well with others”, which I consider to be a fair warning and a PSA.

• Nemo says:

“fair warning and a PSA” ROTFLMAO, thanks, I needed a good gut bustin’ chuckle.

• soapweed says:

Badger: Your scientific analysis just can’t get traction in rural areas. You just outed your self. My center tailgate reads……Lets play cowboys and muslims…..soapweed

10. 1980XLS says:

Did they really need a study for that?

11. Dennis says:

I was just in western VA and pulled up behind a vehicle with wall to wall bumper stickers on the back, they were all Mrs 2nd and and trump stickers.

12. Padawan says:

What about people who drive station wagons? I guess they people who did the survey think we don’t vote?

13. A Texan says:

I drive a sedan, and the spousal unit drives a mom-van. Oh, and she’s from Mexico, and we’re Jewish, and we live in a city.

Enthusiastic Trump supporters from Day One.

This “study” is crap.