Eastern Coywolves

The future of the coyotes that roam forests, cities and suburbs from Newfoundland to Virginia could hinge on the animals becoming the ‘wolves’ of the East Coast.
And humans better get used to them.
Coyotes have lived in the East since the 1930s, and recent genetic tests have shown they are actually a mixture of coyote, wolf and dog.
That’s why Eastern coyotes tend to be bigger than their Western cousins.
And they might be getting increasingly similar to wolves.
-WiscoDave

*****

I can vouch for that. They’ve got some monster coyotes here in Tennessee, half again the size of the western coyotes I’ve hunted. You can hear them all around the property at night, to the point that I won’t let my dogs out at night unless one of us are outside with them. I can only imagine the size of those fuckers up in New England.
No, I haven’t called any of them up – coyotes are cool unless they’re on your property killing your dogs and chickens. They give this area a fairly wide berth anyways. Kendall has a couple donkeys on the property behind us and donkeys hate coyotes. They’ll attack and kill a coyote in a heartbeat.

This entry was posted in Coyotes, WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Eastern Coywolves

1. Rayvet says:

Coyotes are opportunistic hunters. Even the larger ones here in the East. If your dog is healthy and over 25 pounds it’s got nothing to worry about. One dog will run off a whole pack of coyotes. They are the pussies, metrosexual snowflakes of the canine world.

2. DW says:

I just dropped a good size coyote while deer hunting in Ga. I’ll send you a pic via email when I get back home. No telling how many deer this thing has killed. Not to mention there are no more turkeys around like they used to be a couple of years ago. I hate them damn things.

• Nemo says:

Two years ago the territory I hunt abounded with turkeys. They were so abundant it was not uncommon to see two dozen birds in the three resident flocks in that area. I would occasionally call them and ten or a dozen would show up. Last year one of the locals told me he found a coyote den on his property and regularly hears them signing at night. I saw one turkey, a hen, this year in the spring and none this fall. The game cams we set out hod pics of turkeys on them this year.

• DW says:

Glad to hear your turkeys are coming back. Where I hunt they don’t have anymore issues with packs of them. But still have some strays. Still no turkeys this year and the resident here keeps them under control problem is the neighbor’s dont.

3. Stretch says:

Farmers in the Shenandoah Valley find llamas hate and attack coyotes.
    Varmint hunters in The Valley have stepped up to 6.5 and larger rounds ’cause of the range.
    Suppressors are also popular as they hide the dust kicked up by muzzle blast. Yes, past 250 or 300 yards a coyote can move out of the bullet’s path if they see a dust cloud.
    I’ve seen them in my suburban neighborhood of Herndon, VA. Also fox (unusual for the 2 to share turf but coyotes prefer dumpsters to fox) skunk, rabbits. Thriving environment.

• Harry says:

Hey Stretch – I’m right up the road from you in Gainesville. My sister’s got a farm about half way between your place and mine – out near the battlefield. She lost a ton of chickens. After a huge loss one year, she had about 15 chickens left. Get this – they took to roosting up in the trees. They were helpless in the pens – the foxes always managed to get in. So they roosted up in the tall cedar trees – weird seeing em up in there each evening. Anyway, after another year, all were taken. Then…she got a pair of mini donkeys. The two of them are LOUD. Now, the ducks and chickens are completely free range – no foxes, no coyotes, nothing. Those two little donkeys are great for keeping watch. I wonder if they’d go after and kill a fox? Not sure, but I do know they keep them away….

4. ShakeNbake says:

Of the 50+ I have trapped behind the house over the past few years here in north central Ohio, the full grown adults avg 35lbs and up. Over where they keep building those really expensive houses in the suburbs of Cleveland, those dummies keep losing their cats and dogs and can’t figure out why. Them bastards are everywhere and the city folk have not a clue.

• gamegetterII says:

Some of us lived in those suburbs back when they were still almost all farmland.
      There were coyotes moving in back in the 70’s. Told ODNR guy when he was chec king hunting licenses- didn’t believe us because we were just kids -15 and 16 I think. A week later someone runs one over on Canal rd between Sagamore Hills and Valley View. Then the ODNR guy believed us-wanted us to show him where we kept seeing them- told him you shoulda listened to us when we told you asshole.

• ShakeNbake says:

Was funny, one was running around Lakewood, you know easy pickings on cats and all. Anyway, there are a lot of uppity ups along with those a little light in the loafers running those parts. I laughed my butt off. Was on one the news stations for a week back in the late spring I believe. They had pictures of it, video of it chasing after a dog. It was if ISIS had moved into the neighborhood. The panic on their faces, what do we do. I’m living fear, etc. Yet the same yuppies are just apauled that I trap, until they show up literally in their back yard.

• gamegetterII says:

Yeah- most have no clue.
          I’m about halfway between Cleveland and Akron, but we have the Cuyahoga valley national park land on three sides.
          Can still shoot and hunt where I’m at. I just have to cross the road- my side is in the park so no hunting no shooting.
          Every time new neighbors move in within 1/2-3/4 mile they call the township cops because of gunshots.
          Our cops go and explain to the city folk that being able to shoot is a benefit of living here and it ain’t gonna stop.

• ShakeNBake says:

Funny you mention that. The old farm house to the south me was sold to a nice young couple from Lorain last spring. After they got moved in, i stopped over an introduced myself. You know the normal stuff. I wanted to let him know that i trap back here because i saw he had dogs. He informed me that they don’t let them run, and a fence was going up the next week. When he found out i trapped coyotes, the guy was stoked. When i informed him i shoot out back from time to time, he was even more stoked. I was relieved to hear how excited he was to be here, and that he could actually shoot his guns.
            I took the first coyote i caught over there that fall to show not only him, but his young son, I’m guessing maybe 10 years old. Upon seeing the coyote you could not tell which one was 10 years old in all the excitement. Man i am so happy they are normal folk.

• warhorse says:

my sister lives in akron..right near lebron james’s house. they go hiking and freak out if they see ANY wildlife. I had to explain to her kids (8 and 11) that a deer (at some park called “the ledges” I think) wasn’t going to eat them, and they should just let it pass on by.

I didn’t really see the big deal of that park..I’ve got more impressive geology behind my house in NH.

5. Skipperdaddy says:

Was sitting on the porch tonite grilling listening to the yotes howling. Gonna set some snares tomorrow before that front blows thru. Got some on my deer cams with some nice coats. Sunday morn gonna be a cold bitch in Hawkins county. Draw up some water Ken.

• Mark Dunning says:

Hawkins County? We bought acreage in Hawkins county and I can’t wait to build on it and move south.

Ken, Hook a brutha up? Fwd my email to Skipperdaddy with an offer to contact me please?

6. The DA says:

Friend of mine has a game cam near his camp up on the mountain right behind my house. He’s shown me shots of coy-dogs (smaller) and coy-wolves (larger.) We also have black bear, bobcats, porcupines, fisher cats, red and grey fox, and of course, bucks and does.

You can hear the coyotes yipping at night, sometimes. Sounds like something out of an old Bela Lugosi Dracula movie.

I’m in the Northeast, but these rocky mountain coyotes sound similar,

7. My place is besieged by 3 or so Coyote groups almost every night. The dog keeps em from getting too close but I am pretty sure they got one of my lambs last year some how. They start jabbering right as the sun goes down. They cleaned the carcass of my old donkey and scattered the bones over night to the point I didn’t even have to worry about disposing of the body but I sure have to make sure the sheep are safely tucked into the barn lot at night. The horses will do a number on them if they get too close though.

8. JeremyR says:

The evirowhckos yammer about coywolves being too timid to attack humans. They were making the same noise after a wolf kill about three years ago in Canada, and also that teacher killed in Alaska.

• arc says:

25+ years in Texas and I’ve never had a problem with coyotes coming after livestock, pets, or anything else. Only one has come up to the house in that time because some cunt shot it with a plinker and didn’t kill it. Too weak to keep up anymore so it settled for catfood.

The teacher in Alaska was dumb as a rock. She was around 125 pounds and jogging alone, and unarmed. You should be thanking the wolves she didn’t get to pass her genes on. Per usual, all the people who want extinction to wolves and coyotes will rally around an isolated incident, that, one again, came about because of a lack of common sense.

Its like the people who leave their 10 year old kids alone in the middle of the wilderness and wonder why they get eaten. The entire wolf pack and all the pups pay the price of human stupidity.

Now bobcats, those are a pest for ya. There isn’t much that can be done about cats unless you want to invest in a professional chain-link fence. Chicken runs are supposed to have wire roofing specifically for bobcats and chicken hawks. Only had a problem with cats in the last three years.

• JeremyR says:

Neighbor across the road lost two calves to coyotes this summer. Found both the next day, and only repeat, ONLY coyote tracks by the kills.
        Also game cam evidence.

9. George says:

That’s why you see see several donkeys mixed in with cows. Donkeys do not like coyotes and will attack them.

10. Exile1981 says:

The indian reserve near me has an abandoned dog issue. They form packs and have been interbreeding with wolves and coyotes. No fear of people.

Friend of mine shot a coyote, same snout as one, howled like one and similar coloring but it had curly hair like a poodle.

11. Ken M says:

We’ve got a bunch of regular coyotes out in west Texas, but they seem to get more and more brave every year.

12. bob sykes says:

Stanley D. Gehrt at Ohio State studies urban coyotes. Downtown Chicago has about 2,000 of them. There is a YouTube clip of a Chicago coyote serenading a man and his dogs in a city park in broad daylight. I have seen a dead coyote on the I71 in Columbus, and my daughter saw one walking the mainline RR that goes through Columbus in the day.

Cities are really good for coyotes because they are full of garbage, rats and other small animals, shelter is easy to find, and the climate is moderate. Gehrt believes that every city and suburb east of the Mississippi has a resident coyote population.

We’ve been living in rural Ohio since 1984. Originally we had large local deer, raccoon, possum, skunk and turkey populations, but nowadays they are all greatly reduced. We do have at least one pack of coyotes, and they serenade us about once a week or so. Drives the local dogs BS crazy.

Genetic tests show that the Eastern Coyote is about 2/3 Western Coyote, 1/4 Canadian wolf and 1/10 large dog. The admixture of wolf and dog makes the Eastern Coyote larger than its western ancestor, able to form packs (western is solitary) and tolerant of humans (western is skittish). It is a true top predator, now filling the once vacated wolf niche. “Nature finds a way.”

Some biologists have proposed that the Eastern Coyote be classified as a distinct species.

13. soapweed says:

Rayvet: from #1 comment…… Don’t kid your self, sir. In the SD badlands two of us hunting agates, came across a fox carcass with a pile of coyote crap next to it.
    Here in eastern colo, several coyotes will turn around and gang up on a single dog chasing one of their own. Fact.
    Another coyote incident was where my brother in law and a mutual friend were bow hunting near Walden and 5 or 6 coyotes, they couldn’t be sure, circled up their nite time camp. Both stated seeing their visitors gave the seasoned pair a healthy dose of neck hairs at attention.
    Might be coming to a theater near you……. soapweed

14. Hardnox says:

We have the same shit here in Virginia. I live near a large military base. For decades the base deer were kept in check via hunters who paid a fee. Then dickhead Obama got elected and base commanders were replaced. Hunting ended. Then deer populations exploded. It was not uncommon for me to see 50 deer in my pastures at twilight.

The obvious solution to allow hunting again was not taken due to the anti-hunting stance of Obama lackeys so the wizards of smart got some flip-flop wearing asshole from the Fed’s Fish & Game who then brought in a few dozen RED WOLVES. Yes, wolves.

They dispatched the deer as expected and also interbred with the native coyotes. Now we have gigantic coywolves that weigh between 100-125 lbs depending on sex and maturity. I killed 8 so far this year on my place. Thanks dickheads.

Btw, they are larger than German Shepherds and have a ringtail similar to raccoons.

The bastards are smart too. They stay out at 300-500 yards.

15. Hardnox says:

Oh, one more thing… they aren’t afraid of humans either. A friend’s 14 yo son nailed a big buck at dusk and couldn’t find it after great effort. It started hailing so they decided to return at first light. They did only to find 6 wolves on the buck carcass and snarled at the two unarmed hunters.

Btw, dogs of all sizes, cats, goats disappear all the time now.

Lastly, horses don’t even check-up if they see a dog but will prance and snort when they see these bastards.

16. Ruth says:

I’m in the NE corner of the country. I’ve got pictures of a really by god huge ‘yote trotting through my yard in full daylight. He came back through later when I was out with the dogs, and no, he didn’t care one bit that my 100+lb dog was trying to go over the fence to get him. They come right up by the house to raid the garden (for fruit or for marauding bunnies I don’t know and don’t care), less than 50ft from the back door. Local farm owner has had them come right up to her barn door while she was milking, pump running, radio playing, dog sitting at her feet, and staring at the coyote standing in the door.