Banking the fire

This is the English pub which has kept its own log fire burning continuously for a staggering 172 years – and manages get burn through three transit vans full of logs each month.
The Warren House Inn in Dartmoor, Devon sits 1,425ft above sea and is more than a mile from the nearest farm.
The pub once used to be provide tin miners valuable shelter at any time of the day and has kept the tradition of the fire burning ever since it was first built in 1845.
Even in the summer months, the fire is kept burning and every morning, Peter Parsons’ first job is to shake the ash away and add a few more logs into the fire.
-Jack Russell

This entry was posted in WTF?, You can't make this shit up. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Banking the fire

1. Nwoldude says:

Getting warm! Never used that one when i stopped for ……too many.

2. Jack Russell - North Devon, England says:

I’ve been in there a few times. Always cosy and a good pint as well.

3. Doonhamer says:

I would have a drink or three in there.
    Good on him.
    Lang may his lum reek.

4. Robert Evans says:

People being people, I’m surprised no one has ever snuck downstairs in the middle of the night with a bucket of water.

5. Sail Man says:

Reminds me of a place in the middle of nowhere, Nevada. I know, hard to believe. We were taking what’s called the loneliest road in america from near Fallon to south of Salt Lake City, US50. It’s easy to drive 100 miles between towns, and in the middle of the drive we ran across a place called Major’s Station, https://www.facebook.com/MajorsEly/ Pretty nondescript from the outside but once inside it reminded me of a remote, very rustic bar one would find in far northern Canada. The fireplace was beautiful, I could imagine it would be nice to sit in front of in the winter.

6. Andrew says:

There used to be a diner/truck stop between Santa Maria and Porterville, CA, that had a fire going in the morning and evening, as the desert got quite cold at night. Best burgers, but that was back in the late 60’s.

Probably an illegal alien stashhouse by now.

7. Steve (now in Idaho) says:

Does the chimney ever get cleaned?

8. Jack says:

Y’all, I got five bucks says that all the rifles, some look like ww1 chit and maybe before, are all gone! Ain’t no Bowie knives, skinning knife or even a old English butter knive showin.
    My first rifle being British, .303, I find it disturbing that I, poor Texan, by any Old British standards, still got my 100+ year old, still using it.
    Them poor boys can’t display a decent sling shot with out trouble.
    Damn, scared myself!

Gonzales boys figured this chit out when Santa Anna was knocking,

Come and Take It.

The Battle never ever ever ends!

Comments are welcome, but moderated out of necessity.