Fucking Florida, man…..

A day after deaf advocacy groups criticized a sign language interpreter, saying her signing made no sense during a press conference announcing the arrest of an alleged Tampa serial killer, there’s a new twist.

Derlyn Roberts, 53, — who signed alongside Tampa police officials — has a criminal past. Records show Roberts was released from state prison last year after being convicted in 2012 for organized fraud over $50,000 and fraudulent use of personal information.

More irony? The Tampa Police Department was the arresting agency.

*****

After moving here and suddenly picking up on all this Florida weirdness, all I’ve got to say is I’m glad the prevailing wind here isn’t from the south.

This entry was posted in Florida. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Fucking Florida, man…..

1. SAM says:

I read about the same thing happen in South Africa a year or two ago.

2. Mike_C says:

Nihil novum sub sole.
    Anyone remember Thamsanqa Jantjie at Mandela’s memorial service?

I was going to say something about Ms Roberts using “ESL” — as in you racists need to respect Ebonic Sign Language, but it turns out that BASL (Black American Sign Language) is a thing.

3. Glenn B says:

Why the fuck does anyone, who is showing something on TV, use a sign language interpreter??? Virtually every TV made today has the capability to show closed captions. Do the libtards that insist on sign language interpreters really expect us to believe that someone can read sign language but not the written word. Fucking waste of taxpayer dollars all to be PC.

4. sk6actual says:

The only way I ever return to Florida is in chains … jus’ sayin’

5. Wayne says:

Cannot believe they still use ESL for press briefings. A monitor and speech to text software will work fine. If you can’t read English, YOU get an interpreter!

• crazyeighter says:

Why would you assign a deaf reporter to cover a press briefing in the first place?

6. Joel says:

Florida has become the California of the east coast……..Kind of like how Atlanta is turning into San Francisco.

7. Andrew says:

There’s a reason that lots of people living in Tampa are called “Tampons.”

8. Rob says:

Y’all just don’t remember this one….

9. SgtBob says:

People ask me why I moved to Florida, I tell the truth. “My wife and my daughter told me I was moving to Florida.” Surrounded by Jerseyites, Massachusettsians and Yorkers. Three years and I’m not acclimated yet. In a few years I’ll be able to go home and become part of the Texas soil.

• Ed357 says:

I’d choose Florida over those other three…..

Hell with as many retired Northeners in Florida…..

You probably feel at home.

10. The Rat Fink says:

This reminded me of a bit that Jeff Dunham did on deaf people:

11. reverend mike says:

wife says she was signing correctly in the part she watched…

12. Bacon says:

The subject’s incompetence as an interpreter was as immediately obvious as someone holstering a firearm backwards or holding a hammer upside down.

Strongly disagree with Glenn and Wayne. There are plenty of perfectly valid reasons to use a sign language interpreter at a press conference.

1. Some press conferences are actually public meetings, which include not only the press but also an audience of citizens.
    (Y’know, civic engagement an’ shit.)
    2. Whether you choose to use an interpreter or a closed captioning operator, someone still has to be there to translate.
    3. It is false that “a monitor and speech to text software will work fine”. Try it sometime — speech to text software is consistently garbage. The best it can do is to save some typing. A human operator is always needed to review in real time and correct errors.
    (That won’t change through better software, it will only change by replacing the human operator with an A.I. operator. As a matter of basic engineering, the software output will always require review and correction.)
    4. Given equal skill levels, an ASL interpreter will usually give a better, clearer, more accurate translation than a closed captioning operator.
    (The spoken language is always inherently richer than the written language.)
    5. Deaf Americans are Americans first, they do know English. But most tend to operate in ASL on a daily basis. Telling a deaf American to read it in English is NOT comparable to telling a Spanish speaker to speak English.

(Think about it. Would YOU tell a combat veteran who lost his hearing in an explosion to just read it on the screen? Didn’t think so…)

OTOH, the subject of the article’s incompetence is immediately obvious. Having spent time with professional interpreters, I had to read the caption below the picture to find out which one was supposedly the interpreter. Never a good sign.

A sign language interpreter is usually stands out in a room. They tend to habitually stand a certain way and behave a certain way. But most of all, they consistently dress a certain way — in flat contrasting colors, to make their subtle hand movements more visible.

Well she’s got the proper short sleeves on, but her clothes are black. In other words, she doesn’t know what the fuck she’s doing. Every professional sign language interpreter wears colors that contrast with their skin color. Her clothes should be white or some other light color, because they serve a professional purpose, as a backdrop for her hands.

13. Steady Steve says:

All the nuts roll down to Florida.