“Here’s your 32 bucks back”

An Ontario family is locked in a lengthy, three-way David vs. Goliaths battle after courier company UPS lost a bank draft worth more than $846,000 and TD Canada Trust — the bank that issued it — appears to be in no rush to issue a new one.

“It was a total surprise” Lorette Taylor told CBC News this week about the ordeal. “Never in my wildest imagination did I think something like this would happen.”

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to “Here’s your 32 bucks back”

1. bill says:

Wire Transfer? Deliver in person? Hard to feel sorry for them. Sorry.

2. Sanders says:

For that kind of money, I would have insisted on a courier.

3. bogsidebunny says:

Easy come…easy go.

4. rt895 says:

Why not just open up a new account for the brother at a bank with a local (to him) branch?

Moving paper 280 miles just to open a bank account is insane.

5. ChuckN says:

If they hired any shipper instead of a courier to send a draft of this size I can’t
    imagine them hanging on to the money for long anyway.

6. 1980XLS says:

Bank checks cannot have “Stop Payments” issued.
    Legally they are almost like bearer bonds.

Hence the banks requirement for collateral, should the missing check turn up, and be presented for payment. The bank would still be on the hook for the money.
    That’s why there is often a requirement to post a surety bond.

No saying it’s “right,” but that’s how it works.

A simple wire transfer for a $25 fee would have been more desirable, in this case.

7. Steady Steve says:

UPS has had a theft problem for a long time. That’s why they started insisting FFL’s ship red label. Red label (next day) packages have a signed chain of custody when in company hands so someone can be held accountable if a package goes missing. My guess is they used regular ground.

8. Djamer says:

I don’t care what Cananuts are doing either, as long as they stay over there on the other side of the river from me. . .

9. Frank says:

Having dealt with a variety of shippers over the years I have learned that UPS is OK with most items, especially if shipping costs are important. Though always, always, always, pack it with the idea that a gorilla will handle it somewhere along the way. Because the equivalent will. Friends who have worked at UPS have shared supporting stories.

I never use UPS for items requiring timely delivery, or that are fragile or expensive.

• Robert says:

Watched UPS drag the “FRAGILE” package out of the truck and bounce it off each step on the way to the ground. Took returning the same item three times before we got one that wasn’t broken. To be fair, it was heavy. Kinda.