H&K USP Compact

The Heckler & Koch USP Compact in 9mm is a workhorse that refuses to jam, break, or in any way malfunction.
To be sure, the USP Compact is quite chunky when compared to more recently introduced compact 9mm handguns, as the UPC Compact was introduced in the mid-1990s. But there is simply not a substitute for dependability under almost any condition imaginable.

I have owned a USP Compact in 9mm since 1998. The gun has been buried in mud and snow, thrown in water, dropped from high elevations and fired thousands of times. I cannot remember one malfunction.
-JD

*****

Hey, I’m not a 9mm guy at all, but that’s just me. Other folks swear by them. My whole line of thinking is if you can handle it, are comfortable with it and can hit with it, more power to you.

This entry was posted in Guns. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to H&K USP Compact

1. John Deaux says:

I’m not either, I like 40s but have a 9mm conversation barrel for my model 22 Glock as a just in case

2. .45ACP+P says:

USP .45ACP Compact is my EDC. It cycles anything from “shot” shells to .45 Super. It is easy to shoot well and recoil is quite manageable. The Ergonomics might be improved in the H&K .45 Compact. If the USP feels too blocky, try that one.

3. Brad says:

I bought my USP compact well over a decade ago, with it’s stippled grips, it was my favorite until I fired my buddy’s Glock 17. That replaced the H&K until I purchased a Sig 226. It’s a heavy frame, wide grip because of the built in crimson trace red dot, love to shoot it, very little kick, love my 9mm…

4. majmike says:

My H&K .45c is my choice for EDC. Its just a bit more buky than a Glock 19, but I’ve been shooting .45ACP for 46 years.

5. anonymous says:

My main complaint about 9mm is that my sausage fingers often have problems loading the magazines easily. I’ve cut my fingertips when pushing down to insert cartridges, especially in the dark / low light.

No HKs here, my TZ-75 and Argentinian FM H-Power clone are pretty awesome otherwise. If I had to defend myself or others, I would not feel handicapped with expanding bullets. If limited to ball ammo though – I would prefer .45ACP.

6. Roger says:

I have three 9mm pistols, mainly because arthritis in my hands makes shooting anything with .4 in its description difficult.
    One Sig Sauer P 229 15+1, one Browning Hi Power with improved hammer, sear etc, 13 +1 and a Springfield 1911 compact,8 or 9 +1 (Officers frame, 4″ Commander barrel. All of them are great shooters with the Springfield most easily concealed. All have been totally reliable with about 1500 rds downrange with each.
    I won pistol matches years ago with my 1911, .45 acp, but sadly, no longer.

7. bradoplata says:

Why no Ruger love from anyone? I’m a new shooter and just got a lc9s as a gift and purchased a 9e because I liked the 9s and wanted something bigger. Anything I should know?

• John Deaux says:

No Ruger hate, love their revolvers, just not my 1st or 2nd choice for semi auto

• Kurt says:

Look for a used P series. I have a P89 in 9mm and a P90 in .45ACP. Both are typical of Rugers in that they’ll eat anything without failure. They are bigger than the LC series by far but I like ’em. Depends on where I’m going and doing as to which I carry.

8. Bill says:

Honestly my Glock 17 with +P rounds seem to have more snap and recoils more
    than my .45 does. Perhaps that’s just me?

9. TOR says:

On DA/SA handguns a lot of shooters are challenged with making the first shot.

The USP is a fine gun but expensive and mags are like $50 a pop. Their new VP9 is a much better value. Still I will keep my trusty Glock 19.

10. K2 says:

My EDC is a HK VP40. Love it. VP9 is also a great gun, and they have come out with a VP9sk that is a smaller version. We have no printing laws in our CCW laws, and we are also an open carry state, so I prefer a full sized handgun. If HK would come out with a VP45 I would buy one in a heartbeat.

11. warhorse says:

“The gun has been buried in mud and snow, thrown in water, dropped from high elevations..”

you really need to take better care of your shit,