Alberta

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Alberta

1. George Costanza says:

I’ve been to Alberta many times…..that’s not it

• See, that’s the difference between the southwestern edge of Alberta… and all the rest. This looks to be Banff, the town in the national park by the same name. Beautiful place. I drove out there a few times, and to the provincial parks just to the east, during business trips to Calgary. Simply amazing scenery, with mountains and waterfalls and alpine lakes.
      Great hiking, though I found going up two thousand feet from a starting elevation of 5000 feet is a lot more tiresome than the same elevation gain from a 1000 feet starting point would be.

2. pdwalker says:

Looks like Banff.

• Exile1981 says:

It is. Taken along the main drag with their back to the river. Its an older pic as they put a fence on the center island to stop jaywalking.

Since its a national park and since its full of japanese tourists its obscenely expensive to visit.

I prefer the badlands near drumheller better and there is some neat hiking terrain in the consort/corronation area.

For a real challenge I suggest winter hikes west of Zama or North of Rainbow Lake.

• As with US national parks, the crowds thin out if you take a long trail, or one away . The towns of Banff and Lake Louise are crowded, and the first portion of trail at Johnston Canyon is always busy, but if you make a loop of the Cory and Edith Pass trails, you’ll get out of the crowds fairly quick. Even with a pricey gondola between base and peak, the trail up Sulphur Mountain doesn’t get too crowded.

• Jack Daniels says:

Damn Exile 1981, I have never known anyone who spoke of Zama and Rainbow Lake…. unless they’ve been there….winters are brutal up in those parts…especially when you are working on a rig.
        I definitely prefer the southern part of Alberta these days…the hoodoo badlands and Medicine Hat…milder winters.

3. formwiz says:

Too bad it’s in Canuckistan.

4. Ed says:

There is an incredible amount of beautiful lakes, rivers, and mountains in Alberta. Blazing Cat Fur posts scenery pics every day and it’s rare you don’t see another lovely pic from there.

5. Fred Z says:

Alberta is a big place and has much more than the mountains. We’ve got parklands, foothills, sand dunes and deserts, prairies, high plains, northern boreal forests and badlands.

I get tired of the endless mountain pics. I imagine the folks in Montana feel the same way as Montana and Alberta are quite similar.

So here’s a badlands shot – https://9227-presscdn-0-11-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_5933.jpg

6. Doonhamer says:

Why have they set targets along the road side?

7. Sanders says:

Reminds me of Telluride.

• bikermailman says:

Funny, I thought of Ouray.

• Sanders says:

Ouray is where I base myself when I’m playing in that part of Colorado. I don’t care much for the town of Telluride – the place just gives me a funky vibe.

I go down Black Bear, through Telluride then up over Imogene to Ouray. Then run around the Alpine Loop from Ouray – camping out along the way, but coming back into town to re-compress from the high altitude and get a hot shower and a warm bed for a night.

8. Stevie says:

Yup, as others note above, that is the main drag in Banff. I have been there a few times and the most recent visit made me feel like I was in Japan. Bus loads of them everywhere, buying crap at the many tourist trap stores along that street. It is beautiful, though. Johnson canyon etc. Still, you need to spend a shitload of money to hang out there. As Fred z said, there are many natural features in Alberta. I live in the parklands for years….a unique stretch of aspen and prairie with moraine hillocks and lots of moose and deer and coyotes.

9. John Kelly says:

That is Cascade Mountain in Banff!! I lived there for 6 years and had the best time of my life!!

• pdwalker says:

When I was last there (a looooong time ago) the place was filled with Beautiful Women ™.

I’m afraid that if I go back now, I’d be supremely disappointed.