Flip phones aren’t dead yet

Billionaire investor Warren Buffett says he’s not giving up his flip phone just yet, and he’s not the only one.

Buffett told CNBC Wednesday that he’s not interested in a new smartphone, even though Apple CEO Tim Cook has personally tried to convince him to join the iPhone revolution. Buffett — who recently predicted that cryptocurrencies will “come to a bad ending” — flashed a Samsung flip phone during an interview and said “the market is not yet saturated for iPhones.” Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway is one of the top five shareholders in Apple.

Buffett isn’t alone. About 510 million flip phones were shipped worldwide in 2016, down from 543 million the year before. Smartphone shipments were triple that number, at about 1.47 billion in 2016, up from 1.44 billion in 2015.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Flip phones aren’t dead yet

1. Bobo the Hobo says:

I Have had a flip-phone since 2001; I don’t feel the need to be that connected

2. Lylelovett666 says:

Mom Pops has had his flip phone for thirteen years. In the entire time he’s had the phone I’d guess he’s talked on it for less than an hour & he’s never sent one text. He seems to get along just fine w/o a smart phone. With work I was forced to get one. 90% of any communication is now done through text. I dated a girl for nine months & in all that time we never had one actual phone conversation.

3. crazyeighter says:

This is how you get to be a billionaire. H.L. Hunt used to have a pay phone in his guest house.

4. Padawan says:

Warhorse has a fifteen year old, very basic phone. It spends 98% of its life in the car since it’s a “I’m broke down on the side of the road” phone. He has no desire to be that conbected to the world and I don’t blame him. I’m upgrading him to a bottom of the barrel smartphone next month because the phone he has now needs a new battery (that’s no longer available.) The phone company is also “retiring” the pay-by-the-year plan I have him on.

• Exile1981 says:

A couple years ago telus retired the flip phones. After jan 1 2016 they all stopped connecting to the network and you had to get a smart phone.

I miss my flip phone.

• doc says:

Check out Republic Wireless, if it’s available in your area, and purchase a phone – out of date, not newest, Android- separately. 15 bucks a month more or less, and if you’re near wifi data is free. Best deal around, unless you are in a wifi/cell tower desert.

• Andrew says:

You can still get a flip phone from Walmart, of course. Trakphone.

• warhorse says:

I just don’t feel any need to be on an electronic leash. if I want to talk to you, I’ll find a way. if you need to talk to me, it’ll wait. if it’s an actual emergency and I’m at work, call my boss and he’ll decide if it’s important enough to interrupt me working.

5. sk6actual says:

Mine is 10 y/o, forced into purchase after an emergency situation where my associate fell from a roof and I had no way to contact aid. Fortunately he was only moderately injured. I do not text nor do I respond to voice mail. It cost me money just to even look and 99% are wrong numbers or inappropriate to my needs. Generally I only respond to number I recognize or match my accept list.
    I have absolutely no interest in a dumbass device no matter how smart it wants me to believe it is.

6. bogsidebunny says:

I got my TracFone L/G flipper. I haven’t turned it on in a month.

7. nwoldude says:

That is the only cell phone I’ve ever had.

8. Warren is the man who laments for the poor man whilst keeping billions, He’s a hypocrite.

9. Frank says:

Only cell phone I’ve ever had. Saved me from a lot of unnecessary workplace hassle, since I was not linked to their wonderful apps. Figured that if they really wanted me connected, they could buy me one.
    Retired now, but I still don’t want a smart phone.

10. Daniel K Day says:

Another flip phone user here. I’m not that coordinated and know I’ll drop a smartphone sooner or later if I try to hold it by the edges instead of the natural way to hold something flat.

11. Andrew says:

I am contemplating getting a shitty ‘smart phone’ from Tracphone to replace my flip phone, just because the little buttons are hard for me to use. Still debating, because all I use the phone for is to answer calls and receive text messages. But my fingers are so fumble-fucked that I can’t get the damned phone open most of the time.

12. tom@drum says:

That is a lot of burner phones

13. TEXASLEGAL says:

Heh, just bought my 16yr old daughter a new flip phone today at Wally world. Had all that social media drama shit I could handle from her. $25 for the phone. Those “smart” phones turn people into stupid zombies. Worst thing we have ever done to our children..

14. Judy says:

January of 2017 Tracfone forced me to up-grade my little Samsung 4″x1.75″ phone because they no longer supported it. I stepped up to a Alcatel flip-phone. It was the simplest phone I could find. The phone cast me 25 bucks and I still use the 110 dollar a year service with 500 minutes. I have a crap load of minutes I roll over each year. Why do I need a fancier phone? It lives in my purse and is for emergencies.