Fuck this shit

Four or five hours of sleet followed by snow Friday.

I was having a blast watching vehicles sliding sideways down the rise and then hitting the ditch. I was up to four before I went to bed about midnight. Here’s one of the casualties.

Yes, it’s cold. Too fucking cold. Too cold to shoot. I did manage to get into the shed, then fed and watered the chickens, hauled firewood, salted the porch and fired up the truck to keep the battery charged.
And that’s about all you can expect out of me. I’m not into this white cold shit at all.

This entry was posted in Tennessee, Wirecutter. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Fuck this shit

1. Padawan says:

Psht. That’s nothing. Come live here in the northeast for the winter.

2. livintoride says:

just a light dusting

3. BWBandy says:

Not visiting Canada in winter anytime soon?

4. Heathen says:

Ain’t ya glad you’re retired,and don’t need to drive in that shit to go to work?

(BTW, we got alot more than that from the storm.But still less than forecast by the weather-liars.)

5. JPD says:

What?? The legendary Wirecutter doesn’t like the cold? We were certain you were the modern day, re-incarnation of John “Grizzly” Adams…….

Grizzly (Wirecutter) earned his nickname more than anyone else has, by capturing and taming bears for zoos and circuses. One of his bears was even the model for the animal on the modern California state flag. Instead of relying on a rifle, Adams would frequently take on bears up close with nothing but his knife or even his hands alone. Despite his fearsome reputation, he captured most animals alive. While not an environmentalist by modern terms, Adams clearly loved the outdoors and was most at home there.

See? Nuff said.

6. Exile1981 says:

We got up to a high of -4C today….thays 25F for you guys. It was actually nice out. Last Thursday we hit -30C which is about -25F. With the wind that was cold.

Why start the truck? I don’t plug my block heater in till colder than -20 and it starts fine.

7. esge says:

Well, boo-hoo, big boy. We in scandinavia have a real winter. It gets seriously fucking hard to survive out in the country. I envy your weather and land. Looks like a balmy spring day to me.
    My truck is connected to the grid every night. Or it won’t start. Everything is frozen. Pipes have to be warmed, running water is a challenge, firewood consumption is off the chart. Not complaining, though, clean nature, peace and quiet, no war mongering (to speak of). Every other century though, the Russians try to invade, but that’s a minor glitch. We’ve kept them at bay pretty good.
    You kinda look like me in that pic, only I would have snow up to my nuts. Look, however bad you think the liberal shit’s gotten, it’s twice as bad in Europe. Kids don’t know if they’re boys or girls anymore. Or something else maybe? I can’t keep a door open for a woman anymore without the #metoo look!! Anyhoo, I dig your site, keep it up, man. We are few and far between! Me and my prepper lady appreciate you. God bless!

8. mrgarabaldi says:

Hey Kenny;

Looking at your pics, I can tell you know how to handle snow…You flipped your wiper blades on your F150. Only someone that has spent time in the frozen areas knows that trick.

I grew up in Europe and spent quite a bit of winter time up in the Sierras. I’ve also got a few hundred pounds of wood in the back for traction weight.

• Padawan says:

Yup. It’s a good trick until a strong wind comes along and rips the wiper arms off of your vehicle. Cost one of my roommates almost a grand to have new arms put on his car.

9. Phil says:

Damn boy, you all bundled up in that picture or are you finally putting on some weight?

10. Cabron says:

It’s 5 below here right now. Warmed up a bit from last week.

11. Jerry says:

Just enjoy the moment. Before long, it would be back to summer and Damn it’s Hot. We’ve had 2-3 weeks of that here in county. Nothing at my farm, but 3-5 miles away, up to 3 INCHES of ice coated everything. Pulled down more than 100 power poles. Entire road stretches went down like dominoes. 4-5 days for some folks to get power back. As we left for Hawaii! Good Timing.

12. corinthianscales14 says:

Only 65 days ’til Spring.

13. Alex Lund says:

Just imagine you could now be still in California.
    There it is warm, no snow, just some SJW and Anti-2nd AD tyranny.
    You had a choice.
    Consequences, yes every decision has consequences…

(Please dont shoot me)

14. singlestack says:

Damn global warming

15. rick says:

What’s that I hear? Another complaint? Jeez, you’d think living in the free states would be enough. And are growing a paunch?

It’s 0640, it’s 63 F in SoCal. I just came in from outside. Seems like we’re getting the Santana winds again. And already I see smoke in the air. Must be a fire nearby.

16. One of the many Bill's says:

You wouldn’t like it in my neck of the woods at all.

17. Rusty says:

Seriously, go out shooting your rifle the next time the snow is falling. It’s cool to see the snowflakes hiss and melt when they land on a hot rifle barrel!

Rusty

18. FormerFlyer says:

One little trick for the frozen ot snowy windshield is to take an old bath towel that you don’t like anymore and lay it over the driver’s side of the windshield when you get home at night. Next morning, or anytime if you have to drive and there is snow and or frost and or ice on the windshield, just lift off the towel, shake off the frozen stuff, put it behind the seat and drive off. End of the day, take out the towel, lay it on the windscreen, repeat as necessary.

19. Kevin says:

Too cold to shoot? Never. Sighted in a Vortex 1-8×24 atop a recent AR build yesterday. 14 degrees.

20. thos317 says:

Beautiful. Pain in the ass, but beautiful.

21. B says:

minus 5 F here this morning. Brisk.

If you need to start your truck every day when it is cold then you either need a new battery or something is wrong with your truck.

22. Putz says:

barely a frost…pussy. Nice piece of property you have there. Would love to find something like that in NH maybe. Can’t get the wife to move south.

23. pigpen51 says:

I have lived in Michigan all my life. When I was a kid, I loved the snow. Snowmobiling, small game hunting, not into ice fishing, high school I was a wrestler, so there was also that. Now I simply hate the snow. But since I live in Michigan, I also get the pleasure of the other 3 seasons, and they are glorious. And with each one comes a different chance to do something different outdoors. Spring and you can hunt for mushrooms, fish, harvest other spring time plants, plant your gardens, etc. Summer comes various activities, like fishing for other kinds of fish, work on your gardens, and start to harvest early crops, go to some of the many festivals, camp, hit some of the fantastic beaches on the great lakes, etc. Then come fall, my favorite season, there is fall mushroom hunting, huge salmon runs up the rivers, small game hunting, the start of deer hunting with bow hunting on Oct.1, fall color tours, the harvest of all the crops, including some of the best apples in the country, tours of farms, pumpkins, sunflowers that grow higher than you can believe. I live here in spite of winter, because of the other 3 seasons.

24. John Deaux says: