Harassment of conservative student prompts free speech bill

A state lawmaker in Nebraska has introduced legislation requiring that University of Nebraska Board of Regents adopt a policy guaranteeing the right to free speech on campus.

The “Higher Education Free Speech Accountability Act” was introduced Wednesday by Republican State Senator Steve Halloran, who has been a vocal critic of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln ever since several professors were filmed harassing a conservative student on campus in August.

In response to the incident, several state senators, including Halloran, wrote a letter to UNL asking why the university is “hostile towards conservatives,” directly mentioning the incident as a case study.

This entry was posted in Liberals, Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Harassment of conservative student prompts free speech bill

1. Andy says:

I’m pretty sure that 1A covers that already. Why do we need more lawz? Because most of us are pussies and can’t ignore rules that restrict our basic human rights?

2. Winston Smith says:

“since several professors were filmed harassing a conservative student”
    Damned if that done sound like a slam dunk civil rights lawsuit win for the big settlement.

3. ChuckN says:

I’d feel better if there was a clause that said any professor who stifles free-speech/
    instigates antifa mobs would be stripped of their degree and banned from academia.

4. SgtBob says:

Why form a committee to study what happened and make policy? Sue the bastards.

5. rick says:

I’m thinking I need to go back to college. In my twenties I had the respect for authority which was basically to keep my mouth shut and take it. But these cretins have gotten more bold these days. . Today, no one pushes me around or my loved ones. Think of the entertainment value of giving back what they deserve.

6. Eric says:

Lecturer accused of harassing conservative student will no longer work at UNL; 2 PR officials also out

Looks like some house cleaning took place!