LA Speed Check – a classic

This entry was posted in Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to LA Speed Check – a classic

1. rick says:

I’ve heard this a hundred times, never get tired of it. A friend flew these out of Beale. One of the most humble guys you could meet. He had some exciting stories though.

2. .45ACP+P says:

I had the pleasure of hearing that story told live at the Virginia Air Museum (now defunct) in Richmond. It never grows old.

3. Cavguy says:

Thanks Ken this story never gets old.

Hey I got one!

How do you know there’s a pilot in the room?

He’ll tell you.

Cavguy

4. Cavguy says:

Me, oh I like low and slow flying.

Cavguy

5. wes says:

back in ’78/’79 had one parked in our hanger for repairs after an IFE, quite the bird.

When she left the pilots put on a mini air show for us. Yep, quite the bird.

wes

6. pigpen51 says:

First time hearing this one. An absolute treasure.

7. pigpen51 says:

I have a friend who was the crew chief on Marine One, during the Bush Sr. years. I asked him a lot about his experiences. He told me that the President was a very decent sort of person, likable and respectful to the enlisted crew members. But he said that the Secret Service guys were as spooky as they look on television. When the bird hit the ground, and the president was secure, they all disappeared. You never saw them again until it was time to go back to work. The way he described them was that they were the types you see in the movies, as portrayed by bad action flicks. All business, never cracking a smile, the whole bit. I can understand their reasoning for being that way, since they have such responsibility. He also said that you could just tell that they were competent at every level of their lives, simply by the way that they carried themselves. Like they had this demeanor about them. My Friend loved his time in the Marines when he was on Marine One. The rest of the time, I don’t think so much.

8. Sail Man says:

Used to guard these birds when I was stationed on Okinawa. There, she was referred to as Habu, after an Okinawan snake.
    Had a colonel give me a grand tour one day, let me get up and look in her cockpit. Always got a woody when they would fly, crew looked like astronauts coming in and boarding her. Not far removed as they fly on the edge of space.
    One night while we were holding an air base ground defense exercise, I was posted under the approach. I could hear an aircraft approaching, just couldn’t see anything, until a red revolving light flew over me and I felt the warmth of her engines.
    Habu.

• crazyeighter says:

Yes, I made one deployment with a Navy patrol squadron to Okinawa in August 1981. (The one with the red and yellow eagle on the tail). I swear, the local papers must have published Habu’s flight schedule; we’d taxi out to go flying for days, and there would be no one at the fence. But on the days Habu flew, half the island would be standing outside the chain link, with more cameras than you could shake a stick at.

• Inbred Redneck says:

When I was on a couple of Hawk missile bases on Okinawa in ’68-’69, we were told you don’t even want to be seen anywhere near Kadena’s fences with a camera. Sure was an impressive bird to watch. The missile techs said that even if they’d been told when a Habu was gonna take off, there’s no way a Hawk missile would’ve brought it down. Don’t know if that’s true, but it makes a good story.

9. Tom in NC says:

Another good Habu story:

In fact all the “Sea Stories” are pretty good. Here’s the intro to some of them