Marine jailed for shooting armed home invader – Oh wait, Detroit. My bad.

It was an ordinary evening for Joey Nelson. He was at home with his fiance, their 3 week old child, and a couple of friends. Then, all of a sudden, they were startled by violent pounding on the front door, and someone trying to force their way in. Nelson grabbed his gun and told the thug to leave. That’s when things turned violent.

This entry was posted in News, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Marine jailed for shooting armed home invader – Oh wait, Detroit. My bad.

1. MMinLamesa says:

Looks like more of that black privilege to me. I expect no less in urban shitholes run by blacks. Why white people live in them is a mystery to me.

2. FriscoKid says:

Fuck detroit.
    Fuck ‘lil kym worthy.
    Fuck the just-us system.
    All proven to be EFAD.

Hey, Claire, is it time to shoot the bastards yet?

3. FriscoKid says:

Hey, Kenny. Comments not submitting? Looks like wordpress is glitching…

It’s an ongoing problem. Sometimes it looks like your comment doesn’t go through but what happens is it goes to my trash folder. No big deal really, I check my trash every time I moderate. Yours ended up there and was restored.
      I’ve been trying to figure this shit out for months and I still can’t get it.

4. JTwig says:

I saw this the other day, as a Michigan resident I was shocked. We have pretty good self-defense laws, including stand your ground/no duty to retreat. It sound like an anti-gun lawyer looking to make a point. The point being don’t attempt to defend the your life or the life of people you care about on the East side of the state. Just another reason not to travel that direction unless I have to.

5. Chris Mallory says:

Has to be more to it. Detroit is a shit-hole, but the police are fairly tolerant of self defense. The chief even recommending that people carry firearms. The story says that Nelson (the Marine) has a charge of “felony firearms possession”. Since Michigan does not require a license to own a firearm and has state level preemption it sounds like Nelson might have other issues.

From the Detroit News:

” Police said after investigating the scene and interviewing numerous witnesses, they believe the shooting was sparked by a fight among the group’s members over a woman.”

6. Rusty says:

That shooting actually happened in Westland, a suburb of Detroit. If it had actually happened in the city of Detroit, the Detroit Police Chief, James Craig, would probably have praised Nelson for defending his house against an armed intruder. But since it happened in the ‘burbs, yeah, the idiot Kym Worthy of course wants to make it tough for folks to actually be able to defend themselves, so she’s the one who brought charges against Nelson. It seems like a waste of her time, as I would bet she’ll have a difficult time finding a jury who would convict someone for defending their home!

7. greenmachine says:

I’m not taking sides — as a resident of SE Michigan, I, too, have no use for Ms Worthy.
    She is in an elected position in Wayne County — an area that includes Detroit and many other suburbs. Population wise — Detroit is only about 1/3 of Wayne County, so why the rest of the Wayne County residents elect her is beyond me (I live in an adjoining county — not Wayne)
    But there’s has to be more to this than what is being reported.
    This took place in Westland which is a predominately “white” suburb of Detroit — and is quite “redneck” (no offense meant) in its ways. It does not border Detroit — there is at least one other suburb in between Detroit and Westland.

The procedure in Michigan for formally charging an individual with a crime, is that the Prosecutor Office takes the arrested individual in front of a District Court Judge — who determines if the charges are sufficiently substantiated by whatever evidence the prosecutor presents, and if so, binds the individual over for trial. The District Court Judge also sets the bail amount (with, of course, recommendations from the Prosecutors Office)

Since these charges involve a Felony, the trial will be in front of a Circuit Court Judge at a future date (in this case it will be the 3rd Circuit Court).
    Being Westland, the District Court serving this area is the 18th District Court of Michigan which has 2 elected judges — Ciclelli and McConnell. Both are white
    Michigan also has a “Castle Law”, and if the perp that started this had gotten into the house, there wouldn’t be any of this nonsense. However, the legal situation gets “grey” when it results in a gun battle out on the front lawn. So that is an “issue”.
    Additionally — the charge “Felony possession of a gun” usually implies the person charged should not have had a gun for some legal reason — but most often it means that the person has a felony conviction on his/her past record, and in Michigan that means he/she cannot even touch a gun.

So — white suburb, white Judges, white Westland Mayor, white Police Chief — and Ms Worthy wouldn’t show up in court for something like this –( it would be handled by her APA’s) — it’s not really cut and dry that “race” in the court room was the big issue here.

So there has to be more to this than what is being reported.

The saving grace (if there is one), is that if this does go into Circuit Court, he is entitled to a jury trial — AND (a big “and”) the charged person is as “clean” as the written article reports,– based on recent past similar cases around here it’s quite unlikely a jury (even in Wayne County) will convict him.

• rightwingterrorist says:

Point being, don’t talk to cops unless a lawyer is present.
      *Grew up in Livingston Co.

8. Daniel K Day says:

Kym Worthy was also mentioned in this article. I don’t remember where I found this, you might have linked it yourself, Kenny:

• FriscoKid says:

Yeah, saw that over at WRSA, too.

Anyone who thinks they’ll still get “a fair shake” or “their day in court” in these days of the declining FUSA empire needs to read that eye opener.

9. Rusty says:

I think there might a bit more to this than what is being reported. Reading the hometown peper version actually makes this sound a bit more complicated than “homeowner shoots would be home invader”. Sounds like some shenanigans may have been involved.