Not exactly what you want to wake up to

Panic spread through the state of Hawaii on Saturday morning when residents received an alert on their phones warning of a ballistic missile threat that was accidentally sent out by Civil Defense.

Scores of confused residents tweeted screenshots of the warnings after receiving them shortly after 8am local time.

Hawaii is on the flight path between North Korea and the US. Saturday’s warning comes after months of nerve-inducing intercontinental ballistic missile tests by Kim Jong Un.

The alert was written all in block capitals, read: ‘BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII.

*****

Island Girl sent me an email and a screen shot of her phone with the message on it. That shit sent shivers down my spine when I saw it.

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Not exactly what you want to wake up to

1. greggbc says:

Look at a globe people. A missile from Korea heading for the mainland might cross over Alaska, but would be thousands of miles from Hawaii.

• bogsidebunny says:

Maybe it would hit the Aloha state if it did a 90 degree turn starboard at the Aleutians.

• IslandGirl says:

Ummm…not if Hawaii was the actual target. We’re an extremely military-rich environment. Think Pearl Harbor, and remember some history.

• Ray says:

Yes that’s true. BUT: A nuke going off anywhere within say, 500 miles of the State of Hawaii would trigger an immediate launch from the Posiden armed subs that now ring Korea. That would get the Chins involved-then the Russians, then everyone else involved. If the thought of a global ICBM launch doesn’t make your asshole pucker, nothing ever will

• Rat Bastard says:

That would be Trident Armed Subs. Posidens went away decades ago

• M. Sage says:

Eh, I doubt the Chinese would throw in on behalf of the Norks this go-round – they hate the Hermit Kingdom to the point they’ve been shooting would-be border jumpers at the Yalu on and off for about a decade now. The Russians? Definitely not happening. Not terribly friendly with the Chinese, less so with Lil’ Kim.

As for North Korean missile technology, it’s debatable whether they can even produce a missile capable of reaching Hawaii (forget CONUS – no way), even assuming their shit won’t fall apart midair like it usually does, and such a missile would have trouble even hitting the big island. These folks’ rocket scientists ain’t exactly rocket scientists.

2. Westcoaster says:

I was working on-air at an Indiana Radio station back in 1971 when we received an “actual alert” message on the teletype. Protocol for that grade of Radio station was to sign off, which I did. Meantime up in Fort Wayne, Chaos reigned at WOWO, which was a Class-1 station and was supposed to stay on-air. Here’s the actual clip:

• JeremyR says:

I remember that coming on WCCO. That was mom and dad’s morning news station. Mom looked at dad and asked, what are we going to do? Dad replied, the milking.

• M. Sage says:

Hmm, listen to the Partridge Family holocaust…? Tough choice.

3. IslandGirl says:

I am finding it interesting that news reports describe us all as”terrified” by this alert. In my family, we all spoke of our deep love for each other, and then immediately began cracking jokes, albeit extremely dark, fatalistic, and macabre jokes….

It helps that we are 150 miles cross-wind from Honolulu, and that our Island simply has no significant targets (no real population center, no military bases). However, I am not sure that short distance would keep us entirely safe.

I think there’s a game-changing false flag waiting to happen, and Hawaii has already been used in that manner. But I guess that won’t today, unless the NKs recognize what a great opportunity this debacle has given them!

• rick says:

Kama’aina here. The only thing inbound to HI from the west is the hoards of Jap tourists and land grabbers.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programs.

4. Frankie says:

Know what,my kid called me too! All nervous and asking me to check the news.2nd day there,ready to go Kayaking!

5. Elmo says:

North Korea… the ultimate Shithole, controlled by the ultimate Shithead.

6. Andrew says:

And yet people are blaming Trump for this.

Fuck Hawaii. A nice place to live ruined by the assholes who live there.

7. Andrew says:

And, fer fuck sake, I thought we were done with this shit when the USSR went tits-up. Lived on first strike targets all my life. Always knew the potential. But this shit, this shit gotta stop.

Thanks, Clintons, Bush II, Okobungo, for sending us back to the bad days of the 60’s.

Makes me wish I had a bunker.

8. Trib says:

Rocket said he would take out Guam or Hawaii. Suspect Koreans waiting for Hawaii property values to drop after today and will instead scarf up some cheap land.

9. California Southpaw says:

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

10. Stretch says:

My cousin and family are at Hickam. They are not amused.

11. ExpatNJ says:

“Predictive Programming”.

“What would be the consequences of those missiles dropping on Honolulu?” “Approximately one million people will reach ten thousand degrees Fahrenheit in less than a second.”
    – “Under Siege”, movie, 1992, Steven Seagal, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105690/quotes.

Now, just wait for the false, yet very real, ‘nuke attack’. If *I* can think it, so can *they*.

12. Dolt says:

i’m confused,

I thought WC didn’t work on Saturdays.

Today is Saturday right?

• Unclezip says:

I think it’s closer to Sunday in Korea…

• rick says:

It has been clinically proven there is a correlation between not paying attention and the onset of confusion. What WC said is he will be taking Saturdays off… (and here’s the tricky part)… UNLESS something comes up. I think this counts as something which came up.

That’s about it. Have you seen the outrage over this? Apparently if you throw a million or so folks into a Full Blown Panic, people get all pissed off.

• JeremyR says:

Quite a few of the forums I checked are all pissed at President Trump. WTF??? This was a state employee, read liberal Hawaii democrap loser who couldn’t get a real job if McDonalds sent all the illegals packing type.
          But President Trump is to blame in their single cell minds.

• Sarthurk says:

Asked a friend there, and she said everybody was freaking out. She said, where do you find cover on an island?

• Old Surfer says:

Oahu is honeycombed with bunkers left over from WW2. Whether the government would let civilians in is another matter.

Hilo has some huge lava tubes designated as fallout shelters – once again I don’t know who has the keys.

• California southpaw says:

“It has been clinically proven there is a correlation between not paying attention and the onset of confusion”
        I hate to go off topic here, I hate to digress from the current morbid subject, but… Isn’t this how women are generally known to drive?
        Ah’m goin’ ta hell…

13. Bigg Ale says:

I have a sneaking suspicion that this was deliberate. Time will tell, but it proves that the Government will do absolutely NOTHING to help Joe/Jane Citizen in a situation like this. Best relearn Duck and Cover, and have preps to live off of if you happen to survive. H-Minus!!!

• JeremyR says:

More like National Enquirer will tell, Time is too busy publishing BS from Sean Penn and other liberal losers.

14. J says:

There’s a RUSH

15. JeremyR says:

A friend of mine is vacationing in Hawaii. Of course, I called him and gave him crap about it. He said his brother was at Diamond Head, pity, he would have a had a great view of it.

16. Rob says:

A useful reminder that for the last 35 years the Democrat party has done everything they could to slow and inhibit the development of missile defense.

17. markinfolsom says:

Let’s see, if you were to receive this kind of text in Hawaii at the the time of launch, you’d have right around 30 minutes or so before witnessing the biggest BBQ seen in 72 years. Not much you can do except what IslandGirl did.

• FriscoKid says:

Problem:
      “Not much you can do…”

Solution:
      Bracken Bugout Boat

(Until the Waterworld sea pirates get you, of course…)

18. Doc B says:

I wonder how many people were injured in the panic. Don’t worry though, the moron with the button “feels bad OK”. The man in charge has already circled the wagons around this government employee. Have no fear he will keep his job, and more importantly, his pension.

• Old Surfer says:

My brother, who lives on the Big Island, says it may cost the Governor (a democrat) his job. Took the slimey retard 30 minutes to issue a cancelation order.

19. Jerry says:

Here’s a question: In this event, do they ground all flights or get them the hell out quicker?

20. Chet says:

I read a report from Fox News and they interviewed Vern Miyagi who acted as spokesperson for the mis-hap pushing some buttons. Apparently the guy who was sitting at the desk where the “Alert” and “Confirm” – “Not Confirm” buttons are located was cleaning the buttons and got the “wax on wax off” routine all wong. Mr. Miyagi is going to reinstate the wax on and wax off routine with vigor as soon as everyone is done marching in the MLK walk.