We need the bed, you’re outta here

The University of Maryland Medical System is investigating an incident at its midtown campus in Baltimore in which a woman is seen on video outside the hospital wearing just a gown.

The video shows what looks like four security guards, one with a wheelchair, walking away from a bus stop outside the hospital on the outskirts of Mount Vernon. A woman is seen near the bus stop dressed in a gown and socks. Her belongings are packed in plastic bags that have also been placed at the bus stop.

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to We need the bed, you’re outta here

1. Unclezip says:

Heh. Keizer was surprised and concerned when the Baroness insisted on being discharged the day after her amputation. They said it was very rare for someone to go home so early after such a procedure, and maybe she should reconsider. Se explained (rightly so) that I could take care as well as them, and my cooking was head over tails better. Tough cookie, that one.

2. Winston Smith says:

If they are dumping her in favor of a PAYING customer, I have no problem with it. People are NOT entitled to having others pay their medical bills. If you don’t want to contribute to society, then do us all a favor and leave the gene pool.

3. Aesop says:

O GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK!

Real answer, to a 99.9997% certainty:

Homeless troll with a cartload of her trash showed up at the ER looking for bed and breakfast indefinitely because it was cold outside, and the shelter would have made her get rid of her booze and dope first, no medical emergency existed, and then she refuses to leave when discharged, after wasting the staff’s time and skipping out on $1K or more of medical care and testing to determine that she was only full of shit and lice.
    She’s in a patient gown (which is the only clean thing she’s had on in a month) because her clothes, pried off her body by staff in hazmat suits, have become so matted, wet, sweaty, filthy, and vermin-infestedly disgusting even she doesn’t want to put them back on, and are part of what’s in all those plastic bags.

This only happens about daily to weekly in every ER I’ve worked in, going back a mere twenty years, especially from October to March.

And the fuckwits that complain about this kind of bullshit without knowing their asses from a hole in the ground can’t figure out why they’re still sitting their fat asses in my waiting room 6-8 hours later, because I can’t get a fat troll like this to put on her clothes, gather her forty-seven shopping bags of shit, and GTFO so I can decon her room and see a real patient, until three security guards and two techs “help” her hit the bricks.

Thank your congress shitweasel for voting EMTALA into law.

Discharged?
    She should be chained up in leg irons, and forced to shovel snow on the public roads to pay her bill and fine and cover the cost of green bologna sandwiches, in lieu of six months’ jail time.

You’ve been trolled by the Baltimoron newsliars, Kenny.

• One of the many Bill's says:

Nice one!! I agree but leave the leg irons off. Makes it easier to shovel.

• Steve says:

From your mouth to God’s ears!!!! Amen Bro!!! I spent 11 years on the ambulance bus; 10 years in the ER, dealing with this exact scenario; and I will wholeheartedly agree with Aesop.I’m on the short end of my tour and everyday I wonder if when I get rushed to the ER if i’m going to get the same treatment as these leeches or maybe something befitting my tax payer status!?!?!?

Steve

4. Guairdean says:

She didn’t survive the walletectomy. A lot of people lost coverage when Obamacare went into effect. All it takes is one health crisis to put the uninsured at the mercy of the hospital, and this is what happens when dollar signs take priority over a human life.

• rayvet says:

I lost coverage with O care thank you very much (NOT). premiums went from $385/months to $865/month and deductible tripled. I consider myself financially sound and well off but REFUSED to be forced to pay that kind of money for something I didn’t request. So now, two years into no insurance coverage, I’m still waiting for the guy I voted for for POTUS and the swamp people I supported in Congress to fix the fucking problem. I don’t think I’m going to hole my breath. I have no insurance to be treated for anoxia.

• Mad Jack says:

My group policy from work expired shortly after ObongoCare took effect. My premium went from $163.00 per month to $1,250 – and only one company would write me a policy, and the deductible was $6,000. Yeah, that Ayatollah Obongo, he sure fixed everything.

5. ignore amos says:

My first thought was, 3 hots and a cot are a strong attraction for the homeless in the cold.

• whynot says:

The most common way is for one to say “I’m thinking of walking into traffic” or “jumping off a bridge”, etc. GUARANTEED for a bed and meals, then viola! after eating everything in sight, they all-of-a-sudden no longer “feel suicidal” and walk out…….your tax dollars, at work…..

6. Steve says:

1965 The U.S. Congress establishes Medicaid and Medicare. Mentally disabled people living in the community are eligible for benefits but those in psychiatric hospitals are excluded. By encouraging patients to be discharged, state legislators could shift the cost of care for mentally ill patients to the federal government.
    1967 Reagan signs the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act and ends the practice of institutionalizing patients against their will, or for indefinite amounts of time. This law is regarded by some as a “patient’s bill of rights”. Sadly, the care outside state hospitals was inadequate. The year after the law goes into effect, a study shows the number of mentally ill people entering San Mateo’s criminal justice system doubles.

Sigh, it’s always about the money

Steve

• Peter B says:

Lanterman/Petris/Short was a bipartisan piece of legislation. One of them, I think Lanterman, had a mentally ill relative. Petris was a liberal Dem.
      Reformers like them got rolled by an ACLU activist who wanted to abolish civil commitment altogether and basically succeeded. See Clayton Cramer’s My Brother Ron for a good account of what happened.

• Aesop says:

Natzsofast.

The mental health care outside state hospitals then was nonexistent. Still pretty much is, unless your family is filthy rich.

In 1967, that would be CA Governor Reagan, and the reason for the Act wasn’t money per se, it was because the ACLU dictated that eeeeeevil psych hospitalization for life violated the civil rights of batshit crazy people to wander the streets and shit on the sidewalk mumbling and wandering into traffic. The perpetually homeless are people who, in 90+% of cases, should be psychologically institutionalized for long terms up to life-long. And the law didn’t go into effect until 1972. It immediately shifted 30,000 institutionalized crazies into instant homelessness, because they were always too batshit crazy to self-care in the first place. Except now, they became an interest group for the ACLU, and good Democrat Party voters, (including even after their deaths), and a monumental burden to law enforcement and emergency medical services, serially and perpetually.

So how has that worked out (besides tripling and quadrupling the cost of crazy/homeless care, by shifting it onto the emergency departments in perpetuity), and what’s the excuse in 49 other states and the District of Columbia, all totally unaffected by the CA LPS Act of 1967?

Like this case, in the People’s Republic of Baltimorons, some 2800 miles from CA?

It was little to do with the money (except in a perverse sense, because they are now scads more social workers and homeless advocates making a living off the public than was ever the case prior to LPS, and the state spends ten times as much to care – poorly – for the mentally ill than it did when we locked them up in psych hospitals), it was simply jackassical do-gooders with no clue about unintended consequences or unfunded mandates, and a strong desire to get their snouts well into the public trough, by making a problem far worse.

Mission accomplished, in spades.

7. LibertarianRN says:

ER nurse here. Patient was probably verbally abusive to staff, and refusing to leave the room after being discharged. Refused to get dressed. Refused to walk out. Security eventually “assisted” the patient into a wheelchair, and got her out of the building. That’s why her belongings are in plastic bags.

Ability to pay has nothing to do with how patients are treated in the ED (unless they ask us to take it into consideration). I don’t have easy access to a patient’s payment information, and neither do the docs. I think there should be a policy that anyone who’s abusive toward staff is immediately removed from the building, regardless of medical need. Instead, we have to put up with patient’s shit indefinitely. But if you have been discharged, it is time for you to leave.

I don’t know that’s what happened, but I would be willing to put money on it. Been there, done that. Patient has been diagnosed with “nothing wrong with you” after a several thousand dollar workup – CT scans, bloodwork, EKG. She’s been yelling at every staff member who enters the room, and has fired two nurses before becoming my patient. Doc talked with the patient. I talked with the patient. House supervisor talked with the patient. Social work talked with the patient. One hour later, the patient is still refusing to leave. She’s insisting on pain meds. She wants me to read every word to her of her discharge papers, and nitpicks every single sentence. She wants to talk to the doctor again. We get the fucking doctor in to talk to her again. She wants to talk to ME again. I go in with security, and yes, she left in a hospital gown and a wheelchair, screaming she was going to sue us the whole time.

Most ER staff will have similar stories.

8. Mike_SMO says:

In our corner of paradise; “G.O.M.E.R.” [Get Out of My Emergency Room]. As posted above, “Need a room for the night, M_____ F_____”. Also, “interesting” stories of docs. nurses, security and maintenance chasing ambulances from another facility/jurisdiction, doing a G.O.M.E.R. “Stop & Drop” (with identification and medical history, if you are lucky).

“Crazy” may not be medically “crazy”, but they can trash your world. Libertarians were the worst [look for the notches in the ears, our state outlawed chips, I preferred traditional face tattos; they show up better in the campaign photos].

Third shift; sort of like a legislative special session without the expensive suits.