Fucking Bay Area People leaving in droves

SAN JOSE (KPIX 5) – The number of people packing up and moving out of the Bay Area just hit its highest level in more than a decade.

Carole Dabak spent 40 years living in San Jose and now she’s part of the mass exodus that is showing no signs of slowing down.

The retired engineer’s packing up and calling it quits about to move to the state of Tennessee.

“I loved it here when I first got here. I really loved it here. But it’s just not the same,” Dabak said.

*****

I guess my transformation to a Tennessean is complete because my first thought when I saw this was “NO! NOT TENNESSEE!!!”
My reaction is natural – I remember when the Fucking Bay Area people started migrating into the Central Valley back in the ’80s. They moved in, paid top price for housing which drove home prices out of reach for the rest of us and then started suing long established farmers and ranchers because of the noise and smell. Then came the snobbishness, increased traffic, higher prices, more crime, liberal attitudes….. I could go on and on.
But then again, she is moving to Nashville – it’s already got all that shit.

This entry was posted in California, Tennessee. Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Fucking Bay Area People leaving in droves

1. FriscoKid says:

Yep, but to her credit, she does cite politics and the sanctuary state crap as big reasons she’s jumping ship.

The Titanic state is sinking, while the band plays on…

Yeah, but what she would consider conservative views would be screaming liberal views here in Macon County.

• NewVegasBadger says:

But the bad news is, she will in all likelihood, advocate for the exact same policies and politics that created the things she sought to move away from.

Your comments remind me of the people who knowingly buy a house near a gun clubs outdoor range, so that they can be out in the country, then start to bitch, moan, whine and complain about the noise the gun club makes. Then start harassing the gun club to change how they operate, so the special snowflakes are not bothered by the noise. WFT.

I’ve been through Tennessee. Much to recommend about the state, except for Nashville, and the states infamous son, Al Gore.

PSA: Stay the hell away from Minnesota. You don’t want to live here. Winter here is about 6 months long, with a constant depressing Germany style overcast gray. We’re always the coldest spot in the nation. There are times when it is WARMER in Fairbanks, Alaska than it is in International Falls MN. Our other season is Road Repair, so you can look forward to sitting in traffic sweating your ass off, getting lost while taking the detour, stuck behind a slow moving semi and a inner city Dinnah Donufin playing his rap “music” at the level of a F-14 at take off.
        Yes we are the land of 10,000 Lakes….with about 10 trillion mosquitos per lake. There have been unconfirmed reports in the BWCA, of mosquitos the size of a baby pterodactyl.
        If you like keeping your take home pay, well forget it. Our legislators have multiple orgasms as they lay away at night, thinking of new taxes to impose. But if insist, then come for a vacation, spend as much as you can in the shortest amount time, then get the hell out of here.
        The phrase Minnesota Nice means this: We will go out of our way to be very polite to you, taking great care as to not say any thing that might be offensive. After all that is not nice. BUT, if give the chance we’d slit your throat in a nanosecond without remorse if given the chance.

Back in the 80s, some Fucking Bay Area person built a home on top of a hilltop – less than a mile downrange from the Oakdale Gun Club’s 100 yard rifle range and then brought suit to have it shut down because he was afraid of bullets hitting his house.
          Both the house and the range are still there, but the gun club installed a railroad tie horizontally across the shooting benches so you couldn’t elevate your rifle.

• FriscoKid says:

I totally get that, Wirecutter. It’s hard to get the city out of city slickers. Plenty of proof of Cuntifornians fucking up their new locales.

But there are the few who are cool, who’ve seen the writing on the wall, done the math, tried voting their way out of the shitholes (for decades!), and now they’re DONE.

They’ve reached the “fuck this, I’m out” point of no return and they’re making moves to get off the Titanic and onto terra firma where they can work on securing their and their children’s futures with like-minded folks – before the real shitstorms hit the hives in particular and the FUSA in general.

As a man who’s been on both sides of the equation, I’m curious what advice you’d give these folks as they move to rural/red areas of the country. And I’d really appreciate any insights from my fellow readers here, too.

Thanks in advance.

Don’t volunteer where you’re from and do your damnedest to blend in with your new home’s way of life.
          In other words, keep your mouth shut and your ears open. That’s it in a nutshell.

• wes says:

If you move to a rural/agricultural area be aware

There are noises that may happen at all hours of the day and night, that’s the sound of money, don’t complain about them

There are smells that you may find offensive, that’s the smell of money, don’t complain about them

Don’t feed the pretty deer, fox, coyote, cougar, skunk, moose and so on, if you do they will become a problem that has to be dealt with

Keep your dogs contained so they don’t become your damn dogs. I always hate it when some poor dog has to be destroyed for being a dog because their owners are stupid and careless

Know the limitations of yourself and your equipment, when that road sign states primitive road or limited maintenance you probably don’t want to take the family sedan down it. Likewise in the winter it will most likely be impassible, even to a 4 wheel drive and in the spring it will be a miles long mud bog that will swallow your rig. Although farmers have the equipment and they’ll usually take the time to drag you and your rig back to solid ground you won’t earn much respect for taking a chunk out of their already busy days

If you don’t like guns don’t complain about people shooting or rifles in the back windows of pickups and so on. Likewise, if you like to shoot, don’t fill all the signs full of holes, ditto for stock and equipment. In that vein, don’t get tanked up, then use your half case of beer bottles for targets and leave them shattered all across someones place. If it is an informal shooting range/area, don’t leave all your garbage behind when you use it

Respect others property rights. Unfortunately other assholes that didn’t are the reason the property is posted. Other times it’s for your own safety such as the bull down the road a piece that just loves it when folks drop in to give him some entertainment and exercise.

Don’t drive like a fricking maniac all the time, especially in range country, in other words slow down, you don’t know when an 1100 lb steer or a cow and calf might be standing in the middle of the road around the blind curve just ahead. They won’t move fast enough to get out of your way and in many rural areas if you hit stock you are the one liable for damages.

On the driving issue, realize that big rigs, and heavy equipment doesn’t start, stop or turn like a small car does. Take their limitations into consideration.

If you open a gate, close it behind you.

Usually folks will leave you to do or be whatever you desire, just don’t try to push your viewpoints on everyone else. especially don’t try to change your new home into the cesspool you just left.

Try saying please and thank you once in a while.

Just a few things that are pet peeves of mine when folks move from the city to the “country”

• FriscoKid says:

Much appreciated insights, Wes.

Any thoughts on meeting immediate/nearby neighbors? Maybe stopping by with authentic California brownies/edibles, wearing a Niners hoodie, with glitter in my beard is not a good idea…

Seems like it comes down to practicing the rare art of being a good neighbor rather than a self-absorbed, ignorant prick.

• wes says:

In the case it’s an honest question

and realizing the following is somewhat dependent on the population density/size of community

and taking into consideration there’s some cultural/values/interests/tastes that just don’t mix well, case in point your poke about authentic Cali brownies or if you look like some of Wirecutter’s “gotta be XX again” pictures.

and the fact we’re somewhat talking social mores and such and that varies greatly from region to region and we could write books about it and not cover all the points

With the above in mind I’d say the first thing is don’t be afraid to take it slow and let it happen naturally. If you try to push it you run the risk of alienating folks.

Always be honest and truthful with folks. In smaller communities you can burn all your bridges the first time you screw someone over. You don’t want to be that person.

Consider getting involved in some of the local goings on. The town celebration or fireman’s auction are good place to be able to engage local folks and let them get to know you. On the topic of firemen, volunteer for the local fire dept.

If you see stock on the road pull into the nearest place, introduce yourself and let them know. They won’t necessarily be the ones the stock belongs to but they will most likely know whose it is. The reason for pulling in is you won’t know who lives there at first to even attempt to call them. A by product of pulling in will be the opportunity to chat for a few minutes.

If you like to shoot ask where the locals shoot. Most smaller communities won’t sustain a formal shooting range with range officers and all that but there’s usually several places that town folks go to shoot. Right now within four miles of my house there are four places where folks go to shoot. If you drop in on a weekend you can usually find someone else shooting and you most likely can ease into some conversation with them. I should state that in my area four miles in any direction is WAY out of town.

Attend some of the local chamber of commerce meetings. They are always on the prowl for new blood and after a few meetings you’ll find out more about your new community than you ever wanted.

Play your cards right and sooner or later you’ll get invited to help build fence or work stock or help put up a barn, or pour a slab or … it really doesn’t matter what it is, once you build some sweat equity it will be a real ice breaker with folks. Regardless whether you do a good job or a bad job folks will talk about you. You want them to say good things about you so do a good job. If you don’t know how to do something for heaven’s sake don’t try to fake it, just be up front that you don’t know.

When you need something from the local hardware store / feed store / lumber yard (in lots of smaller communities they’re all rolled into one) don’t be in a huge rush to get in, get what you want and get out. Hang around the service counter for a few and don’t be in a rush to put in your two cents worth, just listen.

Someone sooner or later is going to notice you and ask about you and that will be your invitation to share a little. Something like “yeah we bought the old Johnson place.”

Just a hint, at least in my neck of the woods, almost all places go by the name of the ( or a) previous owner and sometimes that previous owner is two or ten times or more removed. My place is still known by the name of the folks that built it back in ’24.

If you have kids get involved in the local boosters club or volunteer to man a concessions stand at a football or basketball game. Also make it a point to go to all the school awards programs, even if your kid isn’t getting anything. These are social affairs and there’s usually at least one representative from every local family in attendance.

I’m kind of reluctant to mention this next one because I don’t feel it’s something to play at but if you are a believer make it a point to find a local church. I’d suggest that even if you’re not a believer you visit a local church as the worst that might happen is you come to be a believer. And that will be the end of my preaching at you. What you believe is your business, but you asked about ways to meet folks.

I’ve run on way too long, if you’re relocating, the best to you on your plans.

wes

Outstanding advice.
                You hit the nail on the head with all your points but the best is the one about not being in a hurry at the stores. I figure if I’m going to Tractor Supply, I’m going to be there anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes, depending on who’s working. Hell, on Christmas Eve I went in and spent a half hour. I didn’t need anything, I just went in to wish the staff and regulars a Merry Christmas.
                And your last paragraph: Down here, Churches just aren’t houses of worship, they’re also a social club. Some of the larger ones have events 4-5 times a week between the different groups.
                By the way, we live in the old Lee place.

• FriscoKid says:

Wow. Thank you for the thoughtful answers, Wes. Yes, it was a serious question, and I appreciate the helpful insights. Definitely got the wheels turning over here. If I ever have the pleasure of meeting you in person, adult beverages are on me.

2. Unclezip says:

They’re also moving up into Oregon and Washington, and the politics are at best alarming. Asshat mayor wrote in the newsletter to watch out for coyotes, as somebody nearly lost a cat. Let’s see – town of ~1000 people surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of farms, and dumbasses don’t expect coyotes, possum, skunks, raccoons. Not only that, but expect me to foot their bill for hiring a state approved trapper, as I might get in trouble doing it myself.

Fuqem. Ken, is there any acreage near you? Yes, I know I’m an engineer, but I’m retired and my politics ain’t Cal politics.

3. Antibubba says:

No they’re moving to Sacramento and driving my rent up.

• Bad_Brad says:

They’re moving in droves up the hill in El Dorado County. They’re easy to spot. The Sheriff’s office finally had to post a notice to stop calling about gun shots it you live in a rural area.

• Joe says:

They are also inundating the area around Cheeko ( Chico for those not born here) and bringing their stupidity with them. Outta here ASAP and I’ll never admit to anyone where I’m from.

4. Bub says:

Before i got to the part about moving to Nashville, i was hoping she’d move to Memphis for the diversity & vibrancy

5. Trib says:

These people leave shitholes and come to Texas. I say stay home and unfuck your problem.

6. Miles Long says:

It’s Joisey & New Yawkers fucking up eastern PA in the 80s all over again. Locusts I tell ya. They need to be contained if not exterminated.

7. singlestack says:

When lefties flee liberal shitholes they always try to turn their new home into a liberal shithole like they ran from.
    I’m glad leftists hate Mississippi. HEH

8. Kurt says:

Exporting their unique brand of dumbassery to a state near you. Like locusts, they are. Shit in their own bowl of ice cream and then, rather than hang around to clean it up, move on to someone else’s bowl.

9. Ace Frehley says:

Retired @ 40?? Must have been a State worker.

10. nonncom says:

I have the same problem with the shitheads moving to Florida….stay the fuck where you are…..don’t bring your fucked up shit here….we already have enough of you bastards causing enough trouble that Wirecutter runs a feature on Florida….

11. Just a Chemist says:

Yea… we are getting 80 – 120 PER DAY into nashville… the fucking bay area of the south (one of about 5, actually, but the fastest growing). I’m sorry Wirecutter, but the shitheads south of you are going to end up flipping the state. Give that 15 years, and we are going to look a lot like CA turned sideways.
    Only without the Pacific Coast and Sierra mountain ranges.
    Most of the out-of-state plates I see here (several times a day, in my 15 mile commute) are from CA, closely followed by New York, another crashing shithole. But yea, they will drag in the ideals that crashed the liberal states and ruin TN too. Maybe I should look at land in CA?

12. Bad_Brad says:

“Maybe I should look at land in CA?”

There’s some wisdom to that. We will hit critical mass first.

13. sk6actual says:

I’m thinking most gay ones came to Asheville.

14. STW says:

My family was in the Nashville area about 1795. By 1880 they were done there and headed to Texas. They’d had enough of Texas by 1950 and headed to Montana. I may stay a while but suggest others should only visit in the summer. You’d hate the winters.

15. x says:

Fuck it. Northern Ca,( Jefferson State!) near Redding. Not moving.

Someone has to be here to rebuild.

As for all you others- I’m truly sorry the r-selected Leftards from Ca. are ruining your homes. Eventually hunting them will be allowed, I’m guessing.

Believe it or not, many of us here in Ca. are VERY based. Look at Wirecutter. We hate the bastards as much as you do.

For example-I own my own homestead, am a regular at the shooting range, and keep livestock. I’m a veteran, with kids, doing my best to raise them right. And I am one of many I know.

Our people, it seems, always move. And I get that; fighting society is tough.But then beautiful places go to shit. Ca. is a prime example.

But eventually, we’re gonna run out of places to move to. Then what?

Wirecutter, if they ruin Tennessee, we’ll have place for you here in Trinity County, Ca. ( Poorest, least populated county in all of Ca.!)

16. GI-had Joe says:

Having left the Bay Area for a rural community east of Salt Lake City, I can say that I am far more conservative than the native stock I encounter. I had my vehicles undergo mandatory safety inspections the day after we arrived and applied for license plates which I received the day after. The next day took the drivers test, swapped licenses and no one is the wiser. Glad to be out of the Bay Area, where by the way some smuck is paying off my mortgage and daughters college tuition to the tune of $4600/mo for a two bedroom home east of Oakland. Hehehe.

17. Bryce says:

Got a lot of those left-coast flakes coming to Texas.
    I think like the Mexicans more.

18. Tennessee Budd says:

Living in Macon County, cussing Trashville…your transformation is complete. You really are a Tennesssean, Kenny!