I’m not seeing a problem here

Prowling coyotes have become so prevalent in rural Virginia that some residents are stringing up multiple carcasses from tree branches at farms and ranches.

A dozen dead coyotes swaying from a roadside tree in the tiny mountain town of West Augusta were captured in images by an Associated Press photographer traveling the back roads of Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley this week.

Mike Fies, a wildlife biologist with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, said there are no population control benefits to stringing up dead coyotes.

The rural practice is possibly a holdover from the days when ranchers were paid bounties for each carcass, he said.
-WiscoDave

*****

You string up the carcasses so the smell of rotting meat will bring in more for you to shoot. Think ‘Free Lunch’ here.

This entry was posted in Coyotes, WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to I’m not seeing a problem here

1. Elmo says:

‘Free Lunch’ is a fact. My entomological research has shown that if you shoot one the others will come and dine on their kin.

Don’t miss the comments to that Daily Mail article. The Deplorables have spoken.

2. Unclezip says:

Mike should get his money back from all those social justice prerequisites he was forced to take. And he’s a moron, as he used “probably”.

3. James says:

I can live with the coywolves/cats in the area.I would rather not live with 2 footed predators but feel the law would have a dim view of displaying their corpses from trees,hence the 3S rule,for the time being.

4. sk6actual says:

Generally they are a threat to anything non carnivorous or smaller than a she-wolf pet. From an ex West Texas Cap Rock varminteer, happy hunting.

5. fjord says:

Sound to me like the practice offends Mr.Wildlife Biologist’s sense of respect. Its all about the feels.

He probably spend 95%of his time behind a desk and wonders why the locals despise him.

6. Cedardog says:

The comments on the article are worth checking out

7. ChuckN says:

I’ve had the opposite experience Wirecutter. I’d shoot and string a coyote up
    and the others would learn real quick. I haven’t shot one for a few years now
    an even though the town is overrun with them, and there’s still a 600-yd buffer
    around the house.

8. soapweed says:

Back in the eighties, a never ending string of coyotes were hung from fence posts along a county road here and colored with fluorescent orange paint. Never a negative peep from anyone. The good ‘ol days…..
    Timely, just found fresh gnawed on baby calf bones yesterday. Don’t know if it was a fresh kill or a stillborn. Best get out the semi-long range acquisition tools again. Eats up a tremendous amount of time……perhaps an opportunity to bond with a little flask of Pendletons, me thinks.

9. truthzzzz says:

I should get on that coyote population control / elimination duty around here. I hear them at night regularly. The calves are not kept on the adjacent grazing rights area, but on the areas at least a mile plus away.

10. Chish says:

Meanwhile, feast your eyes on a opinion piece from one of our SJWs. It’s all fun and games until Wiley Coyote tears up your precious little Foo-Foo…. https://tinyurl.com/yczo3dtk

11. Gryphon says:

I have a Clear Field of Fire downhill 200 Meters and 800 to either side, against Woods. Throw Roadkill down along it, and have a pair of Mil-Spec Xenon-Arc Lamps up at the Shed. Freezes Wile. E because looking at them from Night-Adapted Vision actually Damages Eyesight. Pick them Off and Leave ’em Lay, more come out in an Hour or so. Still can’t Run Out of the damned things, and almost Everyone around Here has a reason (Domestic Animals) to Shoot them. You wouldn’t want to be some libtard bunny-hugger come Here and Complain about this, either.

12. Blackdog says:

My dog killed one a month back. He’s still laying in the barnyard.
    Not very respectful, I guess.

13. bettysteve says:

only thing worries me, the breeding ground for flies on all those corpses…

14. bradoplata says:

Joe Rogan podcast with Dan Flores where they talk about coyotes. Fascinating stuff.

15. Bad_Brad says:

We have a Coyote running around here that some how or other got a plastic jug stuck over it’s head. It’s “Save The Coyote” time for the Bay Area transplants. Now normally there’s a constant flow of warning about coyotes entering populated areas looking for house cats to eat. The usual comments are “We need to kill these damn things”. Not this one. Apparently they want to get the plastic jug off it’s head, nurse him back to health, and then kill him I guess.

16. Sanders says:

We used to hang them on the fences next to cattle guards to keep the cows from milling around them and figuring out how to walk the guards, or jump them.

If you ever come across coyotes attacking a cow giving birth, it will change your perspective on them.