It’s cool, California is rolling in money

When Capt. Tia Morris turned 50, after about three decades in the Los Angeles Police Department, she became eligible to retire with nearly 90% of her salary.

But like many cops and firefighters in her position, the decision to keep working was a financial no-brainer, thanks to a program that allowed her to nearly double her pay by keeping her salary while also collecting her pension.
-WiscoDave

This entry was posted in California, To Serve..., WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to It’s cool, California is rolling in money

1. crazyeighter says:

WTF? Drawing retirement pay without being retired??

2. Walnut1 says:

http://www.transparentcalifornia.com Click on pensions, shameful.

3. Unclezip says:

ou gotta love them unions.

4. whynot says:

Welcome to “pie in the sky”. A large FD in LA has a drop program that lets you walk out with a bundle of cash (usually ~ $150K) on retirement. Dallas wasn’t smart enough and didn’t put a limit on it so there were several who walked out with over $1M….doesn’t take too many of those to endanger the program…..oh wait… https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-city-hall/2016/12/08/dallas-police-fire-pension-board-ends-run-bank-stops-154m-withdrawals

5. nwoldude says:

Damn good money.
    For now.

6. Sigproshooter says:

Nobody will refuse this if their employer offers it. Anybody who says otherwise is either lying to you or themselves. As a taxpayer and non-democRAT supporter/union member I do tire of people jumping on a union. Collective bargaining agreements need 2 sides to sign it. So, blame goes to the city equally, but I rarely see the hate go that direction. No, we don’t have anything like that in my local, and yes it wastes our money. But as I asked at the beginning, who would turn it down? Nobody, that’s who is the honest answer.

Teamsters will allow you to draw your pension and work if you’re over 62. We had one guy out at the warehouse that was working, drawing his pension and Social Security with no plans to ever retire. They’ll have to drag his dead ass out of there.

• Inbred Redneck says:

Shit, I’m a few days from turnin’ 70 and still manage to get my ass to work six days a week and ain’t taken a dime of SocSec yet. I can’t figure out how so many folks that hate the dot-gov are willin’ to plan their financial well-being based on what the politicians condescend to give ’em for Geezer Welfare. You wouldn’t believe all the guys around here who always wanted to work for cash under the table so they beat The Man out of all those taxes, and now complain ’cause their guv’mint check is so small.

• WiscoDave says:

BIG difference between private employer and public employer. Private employer, do what you want for/to the union. Bad choices and you lose.
      Public employers are a different situation entirely. Look at WI and what Act 10 did to turn things around.
      With a public union it’s “my” cash being handed out.
      As far as complaints, I think you will find many fiscal conservatives talking against these practices in the public sector. It’s just that many in government refuse to take an adversarial stance with the public sector unions and be faithful stewards of the public’s funds. Many of the voters and taxpayers won’t take an active role in watching the watchers either.

• crazyeighter says:

The difference between government negotiating with unions and business negotiating with unions is that the government negotiators have no skin in the game either now or down the road, just benefits right now. Business negotiators have skin in the game now AND down the road.

7. Steve S. says:

Omaha had a similar problem for a long time. Police department is union, and they had managed to get retirement figured on “top three”. In other words, your retirement was averaged from your ‘top three’ earning years. So, once a cop figured his end date, he (or she) would firewall overtime, extra duty, anything and everything to put those top three in insane figures.
    They actually had cops who retired, and got pay raises!! And it wasn’t just a few – it was a routine practice.
    A conservative finally got in office and put an abrupt halt to that. Now they have to contribute to their own retirement funds, and ‘top three’ was gone, gone, gone. The union had a FIT. Tough.

8. Sigproshooter says:

Good on them if they get a deal like that. As long as they are physically and mentally able to do the job that is. Unfortunately some of the very young employees I’m seeing these days expect that at 20 years old and no experience or even useful skills. That pissed me off even more.

9. Sigproshooter says:

Wisco you aimed that one at me so here is my retort my friend. I do get what you are saying in your post, unlike some union members, mostly the last generation, I hold them accountable. But, again, nobody here, there or anywhere will or would turn down that scale ,retirement or other benefits. So, what leg does anyone really stand on when they gnash their teeth over others people’s work status? Personally, fake disability,foreign economic support,bridges to nowhere and a plethora of other examples are what bother me to the core. Pissing over private and public sector unions is imho similar to liberals wanting Marxism permanently cemented here. Taking from others (us) and giving it to the .gov. Sleep well knowing that there are many,many union members who think like you,wirecutter and others here and use those wages to help others,train,and prepare others for what’s coming in the fusa. Not all of us are your enemy sir. Regards

• WiscoDave says:

Don’t view you as the “enemy.” I fully understand what you are stating.
      Your statement is very true for some people. I’m sure that these same government employees, when given MLK day off, seriously contemplate his contributions and actions.
      Is it legal? Yes it is. Is it honest and ethical? Depends on the person.
      Many Catholics and Evangelicals supported both Clintons.
      My “gripe” is that scams like this exist in the public sector, NOT that they are taken advantage of. There is a difference.

Comments are welcome, but moderated out of necessity.