These Dick’s are at it again

Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc., one of the largest retailers of its kind in the United States, is taking new steps to curtail the sale of firearms in its 700-plus stores, including ending sales of assault-style rifles and banning the sale of guns to people younger than 21, the company announced this morning.

“Based on what’s happened and looking at those kids and those parents, it moved us all unimaginably,” Dick’s Chairman and CEO Ed Stack said today on “Good Morning America,” referring to the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that killed 14 students and three educators.

*****

I thought they quit selling ARs about 6-7 years ago. I remember reading about it, then went into the Dick’s in Modesto to confirm and haven’t set foot in one of their stores again.

This entry was posted in Gun Control. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to These Dick’s are at it again

1. Padawan says:

I’ve never set foot in one of their stores and that’s okay with me. The only stuff the one near me sells id overpriced Chinese crap.

2. OC says:

Dick’s “Sporting” Goods is about guns like Victoria’s Secret is about maternity clothes.
    At least here in MN anyhow.

3. California Southpaw says:

Recently opened one near me in Folsom. Been there twice and that was enough. Couldn’t stand the odd atmosphere in there. Somewhere between smug and elitist I guess. When the checkout “associate” has attitude every time, bye bye.

4. Frank says:

Everything already said is true here in Texas with the addition that they are also overpriced.

5. Ycpat says:

Fuck’um !

6. Handy N Hansom says:

Dick’s what?

7. Wayne says:

How??? Can they arbitrarily decide who they will sell to? Last I checked, 18 is still an adult. How ’bout stop selling to redheads? Just as valid a restriction according to law. (TBH, I agree since their are precious few 18-21 year-olds with the maturity of a high school student of 50 years ago, but it’s up to the legislature to enact, not some Dicks)

8. Hillbilly says:

They opened one in Redding about 6 or 7 years back, We have like 6 other gun stores in Redding. Besides… Dick’s suck!

9. NewVegasBadger says:

Dick’s can take its’ dick and go fuck themselves. I don’t remember the last time I bought something from them. The have only confirmed, my decision to spend my money some place else was a good one.

10. rayvet says:

I think it was Academy that stopped selling AR’s several years ago. I don’t remember it being Dicks. Kind of reminds me of Cheaper than Dirt. After one of the mass shootings they decided not to sell guns anymore. Then voila they started selling them after the dust settled and Obama became America’s number one seller of guns. I hadn’t clicked their link in years. Douchebags.

No Academy’s in Modesto (at least not when I was there) but I do remember a Dick’s right across the road from Big 5 Sporting Goods.

• Chuck says:

Academy never stopped selling ARs, just moved them to the back for a month or so til things quieted down.
      I also remember Dicks saying they were going to quit selling ARs. Haven’t given them any money since.

• wildbill says:

Dickhead Sporting is the one that said they’d quit after Sandy Hook, but started back after the shitstorm calmed down. They’re just a bunch of opportunistic fudds trying to get out in front of the libtards, probably thinking they’ll be left alone ’cause they are a “good” gun store.

11. Winston Smith says:

Same here, Ken. I know they made a big show of stopping AR sales years ago. Havent set foot in one since. Hypocrites, they are.

12. Muzzle Blast says:

Gawd, CEO Ed “No Sack” Stack better take a look at their sales of ‘assault ‘weapon’ training devices and ‘high capacity’ training magazines:

‘cuz, I mean, virtue signaling fuckshites everywhere surely need to ban the things that look like the things they want to ban too, eh?

13. Cj says:

From what I read, they stopped selling them at Dick’s a while back. This is for their subsidiary, field and stream stores… But it doesn’t sound as good when that’s only about 23 stores, so they’re trumpeting the full number of Dick’s store to make it sound more significant.

14. bogsidebunny says:

Dick’s is hooked up with Field & Stream stores so avoid them as well. Wal*Marts in my area stopped selling ARs (Armalite Rifles) a few years back. The fuckers are chipping away.

My best estimate is the Feds will eventually take road tobacco road route to ridding a huge majority of the population access to AR style weapons. Tax them till the current price of $800 rises to $8,000. That will not violate the 2nd amendment. It’s already started on a state level with California, New Jersey and Connecticut

• Wayne says:

Of course it will violate the 2nd! Not that anyone cares, but ‘shall not be infringed’ means exactly that. A poll tax infringes on the right to vote, doesn’t it? It is so sad that our Constitution is a joke – it is violated all the time with search and seizure, outlawing guns, stifling free (conservative) speech, etc……..and the list goes on.

15. XTACSGT says:

Well I just left Staples and have confirmed they do in fact sell staples. On the way to Dicks now, oh wait never mind just seen the owners news conference.

16. Just a Chemist says:

Our Academy has a fantastic selection of ammo, but I never purchase firearms or reloading equipment at big box stores… gotta support the locals on that one.

17. PoppaGary says:

I think there might have been management changes at Dicks or lack of backbone. For a while they were a good source of the old milsurps for a reasonable price. I got my MN M44 for about $100 and they always had others around a couple of hundred. Then started having less frequent sales and all the prices went up. Have not bought anything from them in years and looks like won’t be back except to tell them why.
    Agree that most of the stuff is cheap stuff and their normal prices are crazy high, the sale prices are the only decent deals. They do have a weird atmosphere like they are trying to be REI or something and definitely cater more to the soccer mom crowd.
    I also remember Sportsmans was pulling AR style rifles after one of the last shootings and then put them back after the heat subsided.

18. Lynda says:

I guess they can sell/not sell any item they choose (as long as it’s legal). But if it’s legal to sell to someone 18 years old, and they decide they don’t want to sell to anyone under 21, that smacks of ageism to me. I mean, didn’t the courts say a bakery can’t choose who to bake a cake for? Can’t have it both ways.

To me that would be like going into a liquor store at 22 years of age and the clerk telling me it’s store policy to not sell to anybody under 25. Myself, I’d just walk away forever but there are some folks that would sue for discrimination.

19. crazyeighter says:

IIRC, they pulled the same virtue-signaling publicity stunt after Sandy Hook. I wouln’t know if they sold such things; I don’t go looking for gun stuff in a sportsball place. Matter of fact, I don’t go looking in a sportsball place for anything.

20. BadFrog says:

Dicks by name, dicks by nature. The one in Orlando was full of low-quality rubbish.

21. somedude says:

that is fine, I will never shop there.

22. lepke says:

Always shop at local stores if possible..no chain stores.The local store owner will treat you better and the prices are usually fair.Also if you owna a gun,please join the NRA it will drive the libs nuts to see their membership growing.

23. Westcoastdeplorable says:

We used to have a Chicks sporting goods store, but then it became a Dicks, so I guess that equals Chicks with Dicks. Anyway I didn’t know they sold AR-15s.

24. Old School says:

I haven’t set foot in a Dicks since the day they screwed Troy Arms after the Newtown shooting.

What did they do to Troy Arms?

• DixieDennis says:

I don’t know if it was Troy or Laurer, Dick’s had them make a special exclusive offer AR15, they pre-sold a boat load, the manufacturer spent bunches of money to expand and Sandy fucking hook came along. The ditzy bitch that runs Dickless canceled the program, basically screwing over said manufacturer and their customers. I have not set foot in Dickless since, nor will I ever again.
        DixieDennis

BTW// Academy Sports is worth your time. There is one in Clarksville if you get over that way, I-24 exit 4, about a half mile on right.

25. Sambo says:

They are a shit store. Went in once and looked around. Garbage

26. Jack Crabb says:

Yup, Fuck Dicks. In the ads. With a rusty chainsaw. They are aptly named.

27. GI-had Joe says:

Dicks is Pleasant Hill, CA hadn’t seen n AR in, well, ever….

28. Sail Man says:

Haven’t bought at Dicks or CTD since Sandy Hook over the shit they pulled then.

29. Antibubba says:

The Dick’s in the Sacramento area had the saddest, most beat up collection of Mosin Nagant rifles I have ever seen. Do you have any idea how bad that is??