At least they’re not competing with Chicago’s other feral animals

This is a coyote “patrolling” the streets (and not just any street, this is State Street!) in downtown Chicago. It’s supposed to be there, say the police. And it’s not alone.
Chicago’s Cook County now has over 60 coyotes fitted with radio collars (plus a good many uncollared ones) roaming parks, alleys, yards and thoroughfares in one of the biggest cities in America. The animals earn their keep eating small rodents, especially rats and voles. The Cook County, Illinois, Coyote Project calls itself “the largest urban study of coyotes in the world.”
-Jim

This entry was posted in Coyotes. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to At least they’re not competing with Chicago’s other feral animals

1. Trib says:

So 60 coyotes eat maybe 120 rats, cats and dogs a night/ day. One rat can have produce hundreds of rats a year. Sounds like another tax payer grant given to keep lazy ass desk jockeys employed.

2. nwoldude says:

Good idea; so far.

3. Judy says:

That’s all fine and well, until someone’s child is attacked or the Mayor’s yapper becomes lunch.

4. POd American says:

Given the welfare collecting population of Chicongo, there is probably a yuge strategic upside to this experiment. Only time will tell!

5. Hillbilly says:

We should bring back the California Grizzly bear and let them roam L.A , you know to control the homeless problem. Thinking like a rich liberal now.

• Skipperdaddy says:

Hell yea and toss some honey badgers in the mix for diversity an shit.

• Joe says:

They also love the damn mountain lions. Years ago when the city folk voted to protect them, we now have too many. I figure we should trap a few breeding pairs and drop them off in SF and LA. That would help clear out a few homeless.

6. Sanders says:

I’m all for this! Why should rural areas be the only places that have to deal with predators? They need to also turn wolf packs and grizzly bears loose in the cities. After all, that used to be their domain, long before the cities were ever built.

• crazyeighter says:

And think how much that would please the animal huggers; the wouldn’t have to go out in the country to pet a wolf.

7. .45ACP+P says:

I was in a Richmond Virginia cemetery last week at mid day. We watched a coyote strolling through an adjacent section less than 100 yards away. This news item is about 8 years old but those critters are everywhere.

• Nemo says:

About 15 years ago, I’m sitting at my desk at work in an industrial park in a city of around 50K. The industrial park was sited on a former chicken farm. It has around 150 small businesses scattered thru 50 buildings ranging in size from 20Ksqft to 150Ksqft. It’s around 10AM. Overcast. October. My desk faced a wall with an almost floor to ceiling window 4 feet on my right. I saw something in my peripheral vision on the road out front of the building. It’s a coyote walking right down the middle of the road bold as you please. Good sized female, about the same size as a half grown german shepherd with heavier fur, thick bushy tail. Surprised the hell out of me to see one in that setting.

8. The animals earn their keep eating small rodents, small children and the elderly.

9. Tsquared says:

Thirty years ago there were not any coyote in North Georgia. There were a few in South Georgia that had escaped fox pens but they were not many around.

Local municipalities imported coyote to help control a Canadian geese problem and supposedly only imported male coyote’s. Georgia has a huge coyote problem now.

10. Padawan says:

That depends on which “feral” animals were talking about.

11. Antibubba says:

A few coyotes a preferable to thousands of jackals.