Constipation Kills

Arjun Patel, 29, died last November in his suburban Pittsburgh home, according to the Tribune-Review. And officials say his death was caused by too much of an over-the-counter medication aimed at treating diarrhea.

The medical examiner’s office this week ruled Patel’s cause of death as loperamide poisoning, the newspaper said. Officials said it was the first death of its kind in the region, Action News 4 reported.

Loperamide, the active ingredient in anti-diarrhea medications such as Imodium A-D, is sometimes called the “poor man’s methadone,” The Washington Post reported.

That’s because high doses of the drug can induce a mild high and soothe withdrawal symptoms for drugs such as morphine or heroin, the newspaper said in January. As a result, people who suffer from addiction have resorted to the drug as it becomes more difficult to get prescription opioids.
MORE

This entry was posted in Drugs, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Constipation Kills

  1. MMinLamesa says:

    You learn something new every day.

  2. wildbill says:

    What a shitty way to go.

  3. Al says:

    No shit! OK didn’t know that!

  4. Aesop says:

    So Darwin wins, and another addict goes to his reward.
    Looking for the down side there…nope, can’t find it.

  5. Dan says:

    And since this OTC medication can be abused by dirtbags expect it to be banned or made controlled/prescription only any day now by he FDA. Just like SudaFed was OTC but now if you buy more than a small amount per month OFF TO JAIL YOU GO.

    • bogsidebunny says:

      You can get blitzed on booze in any of the hundreds of pubs in Ireland, but you can’t by a bottle of Isopropyl rubbing alcohol in the supermarket. We’re headed down that road.

    • Padawan says:

      I saw a story on our local propoganda tv’s facebook page that said the FDA is already working on ways to do thst. Some ideas are severely limiting the number of pills one can buy at a time (8 being their proposed magic number.) They’re also talking about “redesigning” the packaging and moving them to behind the pharmacy counter.

  6. Exile1981 says:

    Given how often mild food poisoning strikes our work camp, they bring this in by the truck load.

  7. Steve says:

    Already had this happen at my hospital. Got a frantic “hurry, hurry to the ER parking lot”. A 52 year old female had a witnessed cardiac event right there outside of the ER door!
    Intubated, shocked, the whole 9 yards of what you see on TV. Heart rhythm returned. ICU for 6 days, then extubated and placed on med/surg floor.
    Dumb skank admitted to taking 49 tablets of Imodium for the “buzz”. Screwed with her cardiac muscle and now will possibly need a heart transplant.

    Steve
    Oh and I guess you folks better start sending more money to the gubbermint…she ain’t gots no insurance!

If your comment 'disappears', don't trip - it went to my trash folder and I will restore it when I moderate.