Dressing a squirrel (and other small game)

For most reading this article, food is readily available on nearly any street corner. Securing our next meal takes very little thought, effort, and time. The hunter-gatherer spirit inside each of us is slowly vanishing and so are the important self-reliant skills associated with hunting, gathering, and preparing our own food. These skills sustained our ancestors for millennia before us, and now, in our modern society, are almost nonexistent.

But there are no guarantees in life. Our cup may not always runneth over. If the time ever comes when you need to summon the hunter-gatherer spirit inside of you, it is important that you know a few basic skills. One of those skills is how to field dress wild game. In this article I will teach you how to field dress a squirrel.

I’ve always skinned small game by making a side-to-side slit on the back, inserting the fingers of both hands and pulling apart. Rabbits skin very easily this way, squirrels are a little tougher.

This entry was posted in Tips and tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Dressing a squirrel (and other small game)

1. Jeffery in Alabama says:

I have always skinned squirrels and rabbits they way you described.butI will have to give this a try sometime. Thanks for posting.

• Danne says:

I’ll stick with Kenny’s way. Can’t always find a stump or such when hunting to anchor to, easier and just as quick with back slit.

2. Kenneth Dale says:

Step one should have been soak it down with water first to keep hair off the meat. At least that’s how we do it one county east of you.

3. Critter says:

I’ve always found getting the little sweaters on them to be the toughest part.

4. Padawan says:

One needs to read the article before assuming from the title.

In my defense I have yet to have any coffee.

5. J.B. says:

We never kept the hides, so we split the skin below the tail, stepped on the tail and pulled up. That’ll skin ’em quick to the head, then ya do like he said on the back legs. Can have one skinned out in less then a minute that way. Rabbit’s hide is thin and loose, never used a knife on the skin, just grabbed the back with both hands, one to the rear, one to the front, in the center and pulled. It’ll come right off.

6. Robert Evans says:

Used to be that part of the skinning process was removing the musk glands that can be found between the forepaws, doing this kept the meat from tasting “gamey.”