Where do you stand?

One of the big questions about concealed carry is how frequently permit holders carry their guns. At least 6.5% of the adult population has a concealed handgun permit, but with 14 states allowing people to carry without a permit, it is hard to know how many people actually carry. But a new Pew Research Center Survey makes it possible to estimate the percentage of the adult population in the US carries guns with them and how frequently they carry them, though their number would include both concealed and open carry. No permits are necessary for open carry in most states. A lot of people may not frequently openly carry handguns, but it might make up a large share of those who on occasion carry a gun. Surprisingly no one has done the necessary multiplication to figure this number out. There are three relevant sets of numbers:
-Elmo

*****

The caption is a rhetorical question, by the way.

This entry was posted in Guns. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Where do you stand?

1. Bad_Brad says:

The only time I’m not carrying is at the gym. G19, two extra mags.

In regards to the story of California taxing gun and ammo sales to fund school security and counselors. That is much worse than one would think. If your 10 to 18 year old goes to the counselor and tells them “I’m Depressed”. That $12.00 an hour counselor can now notify the LEO that you kid is mentally imbalanced and maybe a risk. LEO has the right to come and confiscate all the guns in the household.

2. pigpen51 says:

I have to admit, I don’t wish to go to jail, and so I tend to not carry in hospitals or government buildings. Everywhere else, I am almost always always carrying. Once you get used to it, you feel naked without. And if I am going to the hospital, I leave my gun in my locked car in the console, so I can get it back on when I am through. A habit once formed is hard to get rid of.

3. Red says:

I’d rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6…..!

4. singlestack says:

I carry everywhere except at work. I ignore no guns signs unless there’s a metal detector.

5. David says:

I carry almost all the time it may only be a naa 22 mag when I’m worried about total concealment. Normally its the kimber cdp in 45, after all I’m in Illinois .

6. John Deaux says:

First I think the numbers are off, technically if you live in new yawk city, chi town or san fran you can’t have a handgun so the criminals, crooks, aren’t saying they do. I personally believe it’s more like 70% that do have at least 1.
    As to the carry question, although I legally can I very seldom open carry, mostly if I’m out in the boat or running a line somewhere. IWB with either the model 27 or 22 depending on where I’m going and what I’m wearing.
    Also unless there’s a pat down or metal detector involved I don’t disarm.

7. Unclezip says:

What gun?

8. Gator says:

I agree with the author that these numbers are low. Many people, myself included, aren’t going to tell a stranger that calls me on the phone that I own guns. People like me are also the type that hangs up on anyone that calls me out of the blue to ask me survey questions. I think most on the very conservative/libertarian side of things are a lot less likely to be interested in participating in such things, so its doubtful any survey is going to get all that accurate of a sample of Americans.

I do carry everywhere Im allowed. I usually carry a G19 in appendix with an extra mag, but if I am really worried about not wanted it seen Ill use my G43 and stick the extra mag in my pocket. The 19 does pretty well, but the 43 just disappears. Its important to know your local laws regarding ‘no weapons allowed’ signs. While carrying in govt buildings with those signs is instantly illegal, in many states those signs on entrances to places like a movie theater or store don’t actually carry the force of law, and you aren’t actually breaking the law unless and until you are told to leave by an employee and refuse to do so. Then you can be arrested for trespassing, which you are also doing while armed, so that’ll add to it. But as long as you immediately leave if told to do so, you aren’t at risk of getting in trouble. Just know your local laws.

• John Deaux says:

Tep. Here in the bayou state it’s generally a simple trespass unless you make an ass out of yourself . Mind your business and act like the average joe citizen for the most and you’ll be fine. Just be more mindful of printing in those kinda places when choosing your clothing.

9. R says:

I know a lot of people in Washington state with a CWP that have it for reasons other than daily carry. Mostly because it makes having firearms in a vehicle less of a quagmire and a CWP allows on to skip a ten day waiting period for pistol purchases.

10. Paraclete says:

Part of the beauty of concealed carry is:
    No one knows who’s carrying, so the bad guys
    are actually “rolling the dice” when they decide
    to break bad. They might end up laid out…

Play nice.