B-29 cockpit

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to B-29 cockpit

1. Frank says:

Had a neighbor who was a copilot on a B-29. They flew a weather recon mission for a bigwig event at war’s end. Was also one of the first planes landing in Japan after surrender.
    Of the crew, the only man under 6 foot tall was the radio operator – who stayed in the plane to remain in contact.
    They got a lot of interesting looks from the locals, as in – we were fighting giants…..

• Don in Oregon says:

After Basic Training, the shorter guys went into fighters, the taller guys into bombers. My dad cheated on his height (made himself 1″ shorter) so he could get into fighters. He ended up flying P-51 Mustangs off Iwo Jima and escorting the B-29’s to the Japanese home islands.

2. RHT447 says:

The development of the B-29 actually cost more than the Manhattan Project. Here is part of the reason why—

With the flip of a switch, the master gunner could link more than one gun turret to a single gun sight. This enabled a single gunner to engage attacking fighters with multiple turrets all tracking together.

3. Daryl says:

Something I always wondered about was how distracting it would be flying one, with the way the glass is and the other things in front.

4. Kris says:

What, no cup holder? Gotta be drinkin’ while firebombing Tokyo!

5. Al says:

So much time energy and effort just to kill and be killed for our masters amusement and wealth.

• Odgreen says:

Head meet nail. AI, you are a wise man. More truth in your statement than most want to hear.

• Rayvet says:

Man was fighting man long before your so called masters and wealth. It’s human nature. To deny that is to deny who we are.

6. Jimmy the Saint says:

Gee, wonder where Lucas got the idea for the Millennium Falcon cockpit….

7. donnie says:

I can only imagine the terrifyingly awesome feeling pulling one of those up off the ground. I’m sure the sensory experience of it was right in your face….. loud and raw.

8. ken says:

the plane that defeated Japan without having to invade.

9. Terry says:

B29 FiFi will be in Tennessee in May. Millington then Jackson.
    I was able to tour it a couple of years ago in Vero Beach.
    My across the street neighbor was a B17 plot. His last mission was on VE Day, May 8,1945.

10. corey mason says:

Great picture! My Grandad was a B-17 pilot, and was shot down over France. He and his entire crew survived, but spent the last year of the war in a POW camp. One of his crew evaded capture and fought with the tank crew that he came across. Thanks to all of the veterans!