Carlos Hathcock Method of Sighting in a Rifle

Sighting in a rifle is an important thing to do if you want your rifle to be dead on when taking a shot.
Which brings us to the Carlos Hathcock way of sighting in a rifle.
For those that don’t know who Carlos Hathcock is, he was a United States Marine Corps (USMC) sniper with a service record of 93 confirmed kills.
Hathcock’s record and the extraordinary details of the missions he undertook made him a legend in the U.S. Marine Corps.
He was a serious threat to the NVA (North Vietnamese Army), which they placed a bounty of U.S. $30,000 on Hathcock’s head.
The following is a story by Gus Fisher a retired MGySgt USMC who talks of the time he met Carlos.
What was unique was the way Carlos had taught Gus to sight in a rifle. Here’s the excerpt from M14Forum:
As mentioned before, I was a very young Marine Sergeant when I came up to THE Marine Corps Rifle Team the first time as the junior Armorer.
-Singlestack

This entry was posted in Gun Tech, Guns. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Carlos Hathcock Method of Sighting in a Rifle

1. Unclezip says:

A .308 for ground squirrel hunting? I used to bark big Georgia squirrels with a .303 Infield when I was a kid. A solid hit would leave only a red mist.

2. Mike G. says:

That’s really good stuff there.

3. Tsquared says:

Interesting way to sight in a rifle. The one shot in different climate is an interesting twist. I can see how that would sharpen the skillset.

My dad taught me how to bore sight with the gun in a vice back in the 70’s. The last 3 scopes I sighted in I was within 4″ with the first shot.

4. Stretch says:

WOW! And THAT is what separates the pros from mere mortals

5. Trib says:

great story thanks

6. paulb says:

Great story. Although most of us need to do something a little quicker. But it is definitely true you have to hit the target with the first shot from a cold barrel at an unknown range.

As for Tree Rats, a 22 has been all I have ever needed. If you sit at the base of the tree they will eventually come look at you. pop and done.