Deerfield (Illinois) Bans Semiautomatic Weapons

DEERFIELD (CBS) — Gun owners in north suburban Deerfield now have just over two months to remove certain types of firearms from their home, or face stiff fines.

Village trustees voted unanimously in favor of a complete ban on semi-automatic rifles, pistols and shotguns with certain features. The new ordinance also bans magazines containing more than 10 rounds of ammunition, CBS 2’s Jeremy Ross reports.
-John Deaux

*****

I wonder if those Council members that voted for the ban will be out collecting them? No? Fucking cowards.

This entry was posted in Gun Control. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Deerfield (Illinois) Bans Semiautomatic Weapons

1. B says:

I see a lawsuit.

Seems to me that they’d have to buy my house since I couldn’t live there anymore.

• Brad_in_IL says:

Wirecutter, Everyone,
      I’m a resident of Deerfield IL and knew this travesty was coming. I believe The Village Board of Directors, aka The Village Idiots, had their ban written and ready to go, and had been waiting for a convenient tragedy. Why should they let a good crisis go to waste? (/sarc) Sadly, Nikolas Cruz gave them their tragedy.

In 2013 IL began implementing their Concealed Carry Act. One provision of the act gave local governments a ten day grace period exempting them from preemption. The neighboring community of Highland Park enacted a Bloomberg-inspired AWB. At the same time, the Village of Deerfield defined “assault weapons” and enacted “safe storage” rules. By converting their ordinance from “safe storage” to a ban, Deerfield violated IL state law. One small note about the ban – it does not deny ownership. It outlaws possession, sale, manufacture, transportation,etc. of the banned items within the boundaries of Deerfield, but I digress.

@B, I am in contact with the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA), and their lead attorney. I can say with absolute certainty that ground work for a lawsuit has already started. Regarding that lawsuit, I also have it on good authority that the recently-approved Deerfield ordinance violates IL law in at least four ways. I’m not going to list them here as the opposition could be reading. Wouldn’t want to show my cards.

@Elmo, at a meeting of The Village Idiots on March 19th, I testified against the proposed ban. Among other points, I noted that the police, while often appreciated are also ordinary citizens. As such, in the course of their duties, they should be subject to any ban the village might enact. As a pitch-forking peasant who disagreed with the narrative, I was ignored.

@UncleZip – Deerfield is a leftist / liberal / progressive haven. If a few “right thinking” residents move out, I assure you there are plenty of lib-tard lefties just itching to move in.

@Jay – preemption — see my comment above regarding impending lawsuit.

@Roger .45 – yes, Morton Grove did reverse their long-standing handgun ban after Heller. In reading the article, it is clear that Morton Grove did not have enough money in their coffers to fight the NRA lawsuit. I can assure you there’s plenty of money in Deerfield. If they counter sue, I for one would like nothing better than to see their coffers bled dry. I don’t know the size of the IRSA war chest, and they also have a LOT of things to fight at the state-level, all of which I assume will be costly.

Speaking of state level bills, the IL state legislature is decidedly left-leaning, to the tune of about 60/40, maybe a bit more. Additionally, the semi-impotent wishy-wash RINO Governor, Bruce Rauner, has the fight of his life on his hands come November. The Governor’s seat is up for grabs, and the leading Dem contendor, JB Pritzker, is charging. Hard. In the Dem primary last month, there were eight (I think) candidates. Pritzker was the clear winner, securing 98 of 102 counties in his favor.
      Pritzker has never held public office so there’s no voting record to examine. That said, his policy statements during his run clearly indicate he’s the enemy, and would likely approve any and all gun control measures to emerge from the state legislature. I encourage everyone reading this missive to look at the history of IL Senate Bill 1657 – the gun dealer licensing act.
      As for Pritzker, I believe he’s nothing more than a puppet of Michael Madigan, speaker of the IL House. Madigan never met a gun rights restriction bill he didn’t like. Moreover, his daughter, Lisa Madigan, the outgoing IL Attorney General, has fought for every gun control measure she could back.

I know this is long and perhaps far too detailed for some, but the fight is on. There is a core group of Patriots trying to save IL from domestic enemies. I just hope the fight is not already lost.

– Brad

• Matt says:

Yes, your post is long, detailed, AND far from Maine. I read MOST of it, I wanted to express my thanks for your involvement, this makes you a Patriot in my book. Keep up the good fight against the local idiots.

When this BS comes to my ‘hood, I’ve bookmarked and copied this post to text for reference. Thanks again.

I may be able to fight such BS without having hardware leave home, or moving.

Good Luck to you in your battle!

QHM

• Brad_in_IL says:

Everyone,
      Good morning. A few last points on this topic.

@Matt “When this BS comes to my ‘hood … ”
      You sir bring up an excellent point. No ‘hood is safe from this BS. Vermont, a haven for very limited firearms restrictions is now facing a 10-round magazine limit. Those who already hold larger-than-ten-round mags will be “allowed” to keep them, but no new mags over ten rounds will be allowed. The bill has already sailed through both houses of the VT state legislature, and it appears the Gov will sign the bill. The REPUBLICAN Gov.

@POd American – publishing a list of those who voted for the ordinance, all six of them, will probably do nothing in Deerfield. The vast majority of Deerfield residents, and the residents of many neighboring communities, believe that restriction/confiscation is the answer to violent crime of all sorts. While I agree with your sentiment, it will only serve to further isolate good folks like us.

@nic in Wisconsin – I just saw the news about a lefty/libtard getting a ten year seat on your state supreme court. While the conservative (aka gun friendly) justices are still in the majority, that majority has narrowed. Your state is one heart-beat away from flipping back to the dark side. You and your fellow citizens worked too hard for too long to get things righted.

One last thing . . . I am humbled by those who would call me a patriot. I don’t regard myself that way. I am nothing more than a concerned citizen who spoke out and attempted to rally support for my side. In all fairness I should tell everyone the Illinois State Rifle Association asked me to be plaintiff on their suit against Deerfield. I wish I could have said “yes” but personal circumstances prevented me from doing so. That said, I am working with ISRA to help them identify & select a plaintiff.

– Brad

2. The first story I saw on this emphasized that the ordinance empowers the chief of police to do it. I wonder if they asked him, before passing it, how he felt about kicking in doors because the residents are well armed.

3. noncom says:

I would imagine the number of stolen and lost weapons will reach record numbers in Deerfield….

4. ChuckN says:

Well, as long as you don’t claim the anti-2A crowd is coming to take
    you guns; because that’s just crazy talk.

5. Elmo says:

“Law enforcement and retired law enforcement are exempt from the ban.”

• Jack Crabb says:

Yup. Fuck that shit. Copsuckers really believe the magic blue costumed thugs have extra-constitutional rights, like being able to murder proles and their dogs, and get away with it.

NWA was right all those years ago.

6. Unclezip says:

The only people this will affect are those taxpayers the city can ill afford to lose. And lose them it will. This is what happens when you legislate with emotion and no logic. But being it’s Sillynois, we’re not surprised.

7. Jay says:

Pretty sure this won’t hold up in court, we have statewide preemption laws built into our concealed carry law that prevents this type of local laws from happening. But then again this is Ill-annoys so it may very well stand. I hate this place….

8. Nemo says:

Can’t wait for the articles on dindu’s s from Chitcago showing up with their UNLICENSED semi-auto handguns to wreck havoc on the idyllic village of Deerfield. There’s nothing like making your local community more defenseless just because you can. Yet another community of far left wacko’s who elect dogooders that don’t know shit from shineola.

• POd American says:

The affected homeowners should publish and distribute the addresses of the gun-hating asshats that voted this unconstitutional reg into existense, thereby encouraging the fine citizens of chicongo to pay them a nocturnal visit.

9. Winston Smith says:

obviously unconstitutional. wonder how much more of this we are going to take……

• Jack Crabb says:

Oh, we’ll take lots more. Lots and lots more.

Arent there something along the lines of 50,000 gun laws on the books? Every last one of them ignore “shall not be infringed”.

10. C.R. says:

” I Hate Illinois Nazis ” Jake Blues

11. Plan K. Ton says:

If a place can ban them… then another place can make ownership of firearms mandatory.

• Steady Steve says:

That would be Kennesaw, Georgia. Not a bad idea for one of the small conservative towns in Illinois.

12. RonM says:

Leave it to stupid ‘rats to pass bizarre laws. I mean, once their law says all semiautos are banned, why do they also have to go the extra mile and ban all 10+ round magazines? What good will a 10+ round magazine do for you if you don’t have gun that can use it? Are there single shot rifles that take a 20-round magazine? Maybe it’s just a backhanded compliment. Maybe they’re saying that if we don’t ban large capacity magazines, these clever rascally gun designers will outsmart us and invent six-shot pistols that accept 50-round magazines?

13. nic says:

Southeastern Wisconsin here, ready to back you up

• Odgreen says:

Sorry I’m late to this. I have 17 guns. You just banned 8. How many guns do I have now? 17. Your move! (HT to Matt Bracken)