Fleetwood Mac

This entry was posted in Music, Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Fleetwood Mac

1. =TW= says:

I’m not convinced this band got better after the Rumors era. Certainly they became very popular, like Foreigner and The Cars. But it seems the commercial success was due to a more polished and blander product. The music was more accessible. But the edge was blunted.
    The missing element was Peter Green.
    Compare this
    and the early blues etc, to Go Your Own Way…

2. nwoldude says:

Excellent! I also recall the ‘old’ Fleetwood Mac quite well being a blues fan myself. But when they hired Lindsey Buckingham and his talented and pretty little girlfriend……well. :-)

3. Miles Long says:

Glad to see I’m not alone in despising the later incarnations of FM. The original band (first called Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac) was unquestionably the best IMO with three guitarists. At different times, all 3 of the original guitar players suffered mental breakdowns of various severity.

PG replaced Clapton in John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers when EC left to form Cream. Supposedly BB King once said that Peter Green was the only white guitar player that gave him the sweats.

Here’s an electric solo of an acoustic song from the self titled 1st album Peter does live while one of the other guitar players changes a broken string.

4. =TW= says:

I discovered FM radio in the late ’60s- an alternative to Dick Clark/Casey Kasim Top 40 AM bubblegum. Exposure to “underground” music not available elsewhere broadened my horizons instantly. There was a clear difference between such bands as the Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Fleetwood Mac, Jethro Tull, and, say, Tommy James or Sonny and Cher. By about 1970 I had developed a preference for the Stones over the Beatles.
    I did not immediately identify the music as “Blues” but like the young Dewey Cox, it grabbed me by the throat and shook me up good.

Like other survivors from that time (notably Tull and the Stones), Fleetwood Mac evolved and change directions. The loss of Peter Green was a major shock. Bob Welch seemed rather colorless to me.
    Christine Perfect brought keyboards and her lovely contralto voice, and Welch does OK here:
    You can see this bears little resemblance to the early Peter Green days.

Lindsey Buckingham was a big step in the right direction, a self-taught guitarist with some power and a good ear.
    Stevie added an overrated superficial glitter but her main contribution was distraction, and disruptive to the band’s unity. By this time there was not a shred of the early magic remaining.

Oh well…

Peter Green has struggled with inner demons since the breakdown. There is some commentary on this by Nigel Watson in the “An Evening With the Splinter Group” DVD.

5. Djamer says:

Wow, lots of history here I was unaware of. Humans make things so over complicated. This album is one of my all time favorites. I understand if I would have known them much before this, but I guess gladly, I did not. . . I can relate, however, when it comes the before/afters of bands like AC/\DC, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, etc. . .

6. Hoss says:

Will always enjoy christine’s voice over stevie nicks. Excuse the pun, but to me her voice was perfect.

7. C.R. says:

Well, Im glad to see that Im not the only one that thinks Fleetwood Mac went to hell after Goat Girl joined up with her boyfriend

8. mrgarabaldi says:

Hey Kenny;

One of my favorite albums, good for a roadtrip, which I did in Germany a lot with that album in my cassette deck on the autobahns, along with moody blues. That being said, I liked Stevie Nicks, but Christine mcVee got the short stick and I really liked her. She released a solo album in 1984 and it was a good one.