Florida. Definitely Florida.

Amidst the variety of fourth amendment and online privacy and protection issues that rapid advances in technology have raised over the past decades, it appears that Florida police have just given us something truly unprecedented and disturbing.

According to the AP, “Florida authorities went to a funeral home and used a dead man’s finger to try to unlock his cellphone as part of their investigation.”
-John Deaux

This entry was posted in Florida, To Protect and Serve, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Florida. Definitely Florida.

1. Zendo Deb says:

Don’t use your fingerprint to unlock your phone.

Don’t carry your phone internationally. Actually don’t carry anything electronic. Use a burner phone and a Chromebook.

Of course, anything that you entrust electronically to a 3rd party – cloud storage, email, automated backups – you have no 4th Amendment protections for. So you should encrypt everything.

Lots of people will read this, and do nothing. Because although security is possible, they can’t stand to be without Facebook, and angry birds.

I haven’t owned a cell phone for a couple years and the one I owned last was a throwaway that I carried in case of a breakdown on the road. It stayed in the truck until Charging Day.

• Padawan says:

I had no choice but to replace my stupid smartypants phone about a month ago. I was eager to use the finger print scanner on it until I read that you have to “register” your finger print with some unnamed who-knows-what. I ended up disabling the “feature.”

I keep getting told I should use the cloud or Google Docs to save the novels I write and every time I give a resounding hell no for an answer. Saving anything to something like that automatically makes your file the property of Google or whomever owns the server it’s saved on. This is the reason why I failed my computer course when I was in college; I actually read the TOU for Google Docs and found out they claim all rights to it. I refused to save any of my coursework to it (especially where one of the assignments involved one of my books.)

• crazyeighter says:

Storage has gotten cheap; plug in a couple of USB flash drives and keep extra backup copies on them. If you’re using Windowz 7 or later, they have a “Briefcase” feature that keeps them synched.

• Padawan says:

I’m using a Windows 8 laptop. In addition to my external hard drive I have seven USB drives I back up everything too. I’m lost on the number of times I’ve called Warhorse crying because I lost something I was working on and it didn’t have a back up.

2. bogsidebunny says:

In the 60’s many young folks gave the pigs the finger and the officers resented it. Now, that times have changed the cops take the finger and smile.

3. John Deaux says:

I’m not sure exactly how I would have handled that situation but I am certain it would have ended with me posting bond or sitting in jail until my court date

4. cj says:

Unprecedented? Apparently they’ve never seen a movie or tv show where someone chops off someone’s finger or hand to get through some biometric lock. This seems tame by comparison.

5. Daryl says:

A fella that worked in a small plant here told me the story about their maintenance man dieing on the job, They took him down town to the morgue and later that day the owner had him run down there to get the keys out of his pocket. He got the keys but didn’t really have to go into the pocket to get them.