Horseman. Passing By.

I encountered the Horseman in Laguna Beach riding along the Pacific Coast Highway. He was ahead of me moving at horse speed. The traffic, hurried as always, slowed to a pause and then pulled around him. As I pulled past him, I could hear the clip-clop of the hooves of his mount and his pack horse. I glanced into the rear view mirror after I got ahead of him and saw the blinking red and blue lights and heard the short bleep of a siren tapped once. The Horseman had been pulled over by the Laguna Beach police for an interview. I pulled in around the corner, walked back, and joined a group of citizens already watching this encounter.

This entry was posted in California, To Protect and Serve, WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Horseman. Passing By.

1. Tn Ed says:

About a month ago I decided to make my way to Jackson. As I am driving down 412 on a early rainy morning. I look to my right and running down the side of the road mostly in the grass but sometimes on the shoulder. And I mean full gallop moving fast was a man in a full length duster looking like something out the 19th century on his horse just tearing it up. Was an awesome sight to see and definitely something you don’t see every day.

If a cop would have seen him around here and 412 is well traveled they wouldn’t have even stopped him let alone 10 cops and animal control. Love Tennessee.

• Inbred Redneck says:

Seems to me I read that the duster was a 20th century invention in Oz, but we’ve all seen ’em in cowboy movies it’s easy to believe that they existed here in the 19th.
      That said, I sure enjoyed the article.

• Bacon says:

AFAIK, the duster was invented by Caden McCoy in 1861. Caden was a 12 year old boy looking after his enlisted father’s tobacco farm. After his father died in the Civil War, Caden’s mother sewed dusters to support the Confederate Army. After the war, Caden moved to Texas where his design quickly became popular.

2. nwoldude says:

Giddyup! :-)

3. fjord says:

I love this story.

The west would still be a vast, unoccupied wilderness without horses and mules. Horses and mules and manpower built this country. People forget that.

4. hey@luis says:

Good story, thanks!

5. Hillbilly says:

Small town parade in a town about six miles from my home. We found a way to get the buckboard there on a flatbed truck, but my draft horse’s don’t fit a regular horse trailer. So I called the CHP and asked if I could just ride them there…… They came un-fucking-glued! Not only no but fuck no, you can’t ride a horse on I-5. See I had to cross a bridge across a finger of the lake, too far to swim them. But you can ride a 10 speed, push a shopping cart or walk, but no horse’s. We wound up using a car barge and going the long way around.about 2 hours each way.

• Elmo says:

A friend of mine still drives cattle about 10 miles on Hwy 49 every summer, which is the last of the drives around here. Funny, I’ve never thought of asking him what hoops he has to jump through to be able to do it.

• Chet says:

Shudda just hitched them to the wagon and gone down I-5 with BFUTW painted on the back

• Ed243 says:

This guy travels on foot with a pack mule and is constantly hassled by the police. https://3mules.com

6. T. Rose says:

That was my dad’s dream. We were going to drive a team of horses to California on Rt66 after I had retired. I had bought a young team and had drove them to the point they were road ready when he came down with aggressive prostate cancer. Man makes plans, God laughs.

7. Inbred Redneck says:

About 10 years ago, my wife and I were ridin’ North on back roads out of Oroville, near Table Mountain. Came over a rise and all across the 2-lane for the next mile a or so was herd of cattle bein’ driven by 4-5 folks on horses. We just stopped and let the bikes idle as the cattle went around us. The riders just tipped their hats and said thanks as they rode by. Funniest part was the stock dog that wandered over to the ditch by the side of the road. Looked as though he was thinkin’ that his job was to sniff out and herd all the frogs he could find.

• Joe says:

Was in one on Table Mountain Blvd. a few years ago. Coming home from work in O’ville. Shut off the motor ,popped a beer and watched ’em go by. Great ride home.

8. RTinWeimar says:

Great story, as well as a quaint reminder of how quickly the old ways are vanishing. Thanks WC for bringing it over.

• Chet says:

Check out the “Trail rides” going to the San Antonio Stock Show. One comes from Corpus Christi which is about 150 miles distant. Others come from four or five other directions.

9. Um, great story, but I read it years ago in another publication with the very same photos. Possibly in Outdoor Mag? Is V-Leun pulling a fast one on us?