Ol’ Dorian fucked around and found out

It was late, a little after 10 p.m., when 17-year-old Dorian Harris walked into the Top Stop Shop convenience store in Memphis.

The teen swiped a beer from the store without paying and walked out, according to police records obtained by WREG. That’s when the clerk on duty, 28-year-old Anwar Ghazali, pulled out a gun from his right side, according to police.

Ghazali exited the store and chased after Harris before firing several shots at the teen, who was still walking away, according to police. Police say Ghazali walked back to the store and told a witness ‘I think I shot him.” He never called 911.

This entry was posted in News, Tennessee. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Ol’ Dorian fucked around and found out

1. rayvet says:

While I have no cares for the camel jockey that shot him (let’s face it, shooting someone running from you that stole a beer is a hard sell), I can’t seem to muster up any sympathy for this kid and his family and friends. He dindu it.

Which is pretty much the way I’m looking at the whole situation.

• crazyeighter says:

I care not much for the shooter myself, but it’s probably going to cost him everything he’s got for a defense attorney, even before the dindu’s family sues for wrongful death.

I care even less for the young and stupid dindu, but a beer or the Hope Diamond, you can’t shoot at someone that’s retreating from you.

• Nemo says:

“you can’t shoot at someone that’s retreating from you” … unless you’re a member of the constabulary. Those guys do it all the time, get a paid vacation at the taxpayers expense, then are exonerated from wrongdoing after a “thorough investigation”. What’s good for the goose…

• Old 1811 says:

Unlike you, the police have a duty to pursue and apprehend, which is why they can, in some cases, shoot fleeing felons.
          But in this case, any police officer who shot young Dorian would be in deep kimchi because this shooting is prohibited under Garner v. Tennessee.
          But go on hating the cops all you want. It’s America.

• swood says:

Constabulary don’t shoot people retreating…guns do.

2. What is this? The one millionth story with the same cast of characters, same police statement “Leave it to us, we will handle it”. Of course the same (ex post facto) testaments to the sterling character and amazing future cut short by the bullet. Oh, and he was black (surprise, surprise).

I am so sick of hearing this again, and again, and again.

3. California southpaw says:

Another budding astrophysicist bites the dirt. pity…

4. NewVegasBadger says:

Getting shot for stealing a beer, would be considered over the line if we were living in a sane society. However, since we are not, maybe, getting shot should be an occupational hazard if one is inclined to believe that one is entitled to other peoples stuff. Zero sympathy given for the Dindu Nuff’n.

5. noncom says:

On the positive side, maybe it stops another potential perp from robbing that store for a long time….you know, karma and all….

6. somedude says:

yeah, you can’t do that in liberal USA. the feel good DA’s will fry your ass. Good to know the laws and better have the ability to make that choice.

7. Sanders says:

Damn, and he was just on the cusp of a major breakthrough for a miniaturized warp drive system.

8. Mike_C says:

Enquiring minds want to know, what did Ghazali shoot him with?
    According to google maps Harris made it about a block away from the store. Leaving aside the issue that this was NOT self defense, arguments pro and con about the value of whatever Ghazali used as a self-defense round? (Yeah, I know, it’s shot placement…. Speaking of which, I’m pissed off at Ghazali for his irresponsibility firing “several” shots into a neighborhood, especially at a fleeing petty thief of the eternal victim class. Hopefully Ghazali is Muslim so the victimhood points cancel each other out.)

Choice quotes.
    “He was a child…” said the grandmother of the decedent.
    But old enough to dictate national firearms policy, or so we are told by our betters.

“the good die young where I’m from,” said a friend of the decedent.
    So, apparently, do dirtbags.

9. MMinLamesa says:

Apparently WC, this is now the place for aspiring comedy writers to try out some of their shit.

I certainly was laughing(sorry Dorian but play stupid games and ya never know)

10. Jimmy the Saint says:

Our future astronaut corps just cannot sustain these needless losses.

11. FriscoKid says:

“Ghazali waived his Miranda rights and…”

Rule #1 – never talk to the police.

12. Sabre22 says:

Death by being stupid. but wrong on so many levels

13. Phil B says:

My reaction? How about this:

• Djamer says:

“Your brain is so enormous, it’s got no room to vibrate. In fact, it’s rubbing against the inside of your skull so hard, it has pushed all your hair out!”

Great stuff!

14. Westcoastdeplorable says:

He stole a beer this time. If he got away with it, maybe next time he’d bring a gun and kill an innocent person. Fact is, he stole and the clerk was protecting the store’s property.

15. Judy says:

The charges should be down-graded to manslaughter