That’s one way to Drain The Swamp

Amidst heightening tensions between the United States and Russia, researchers at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University have developed a computer model that predicts at least 280,000 people would die within 48 hours if a nuclear bomb went off in Washington DC.

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to That’s one way to Drain The Swamp

1. Greatgeexer says:

I go thru there all the time. It wouldn’t be a great loss. Too many truly stupid people live there .

2. Professor Hale says:

Not much of a model. We have had probable damage rings since 45.

3. bogsidebunny says:

340,000,000 minus 280,000 = A better America. I’ve always contested that when I was in high school the population was around 180,000,000 and the country ran like a well oiled, Seth Thomas grandfather clock. Now look at the place with about twice the numbers. It’s more like an $8 Rolex knock-off bought from a Nigerian NYC street vendor.

4. Dan says:

Depending upon the yield and the location of the detonation that could easily be an estimate very much on the low side.

5. Bryn says:

See? There’s a bright side to everything if you look hard enough……

6. JeremyR says:

Is 280,000 less lobbyists and welfare recipients a good thing or a bad thing?

7. Anonymous White Male says:

280,000? Is that all? Here I was hoping it would wipe out Baltimore, too! I guess Muslims don’t know how to make quality thermonuclear devices.

8. Al says:

Promise?

9. Winston Smith says:

My fav Clancy book is Debt of Honor. Actually jumped up and cheered at the end of that one.

10. Nemo says:

That bomb needs to be a lot bigger to cure what ails the nation’s capitol. Current population estimate ~700k. 280K dead = only 40% and it will be the wrong 40% that die.

11. Unclezip says:

They say “at least”, but we see “only”.

12. nwoldude says:

At first it might sound like a ‘good’ idea. But nothing would ever be the same again.
    Read War Day by Whitley Strieber.

13. Gryphon says:

Casualty Estimates have too many Variables to be all that Accurate – but that’s only for the Immediate Effects- Even a Weapon Fired as a High Air Burst is going to Knock Out Power and Communications, even if relatively few People are Killed Outright. Give it a Week, and the Chaos will have probably Eliminated 70-80% of the ‘survivors’. And given the sort of Swamp Dwellers who can’t Change a Tire on their Car to save their Life, that may be a Low Guess.

Best Thing would be a Neutron Round, sterilize the Swamp and not Trash all the nice Buildings and Museums…

14. Gryphon says:

Nemo – The Bear’s Navy has 100 Megaton Atomic-Powered Torpedoes – One of those could run up the Potomac River and Enlarge the Chesapeake Bay by a good bit. No More Swamp.

15. warhorse says:

I would miss the museums and such but if sacrifices have to be made…I’m in.

• John Deaux says:

I agree DC is a beautiful place, especially in the spring with the cherry bblossoms at the Washington. Maybe a short term radiation exposure, that way nothing important gets damaged

16. Andrew says:

It all depends on yield and whether an air or ground burst. Too many factors to consider.

The role-playing game “Twilight 2000” used actual Civil Defense estimates for target damage in it’s post apocalyptic environment.

DC was just a smoking hole in the ground. Soviets were known to target that hell-hole with lots of warheads.

But even a lowly 10kt warhead would probably do the reported numbers. Nowadays that is a warhead that can fit in the same size as a 500lb bomb, or smaller.

And this is all stuff we knew back in the late 60s and early 70s, and the military knew since like, Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

• warhorse says:

damn I loved that game. we used to play a hybrid of Twilight 2000 and Dark Conspiracy. post-war europe, surviving US soldiers, and the old soviet leadership was slowly being taken over by either aliens or vampires..we never got to the bottom of it before the game ended…