Today’s project

Actually it was started last fall when we sprayed Round Up on it and moved Lisa’s whatchamacallits out there around the birdhouse. This year all I was waiting on was a calm day for the wind so I could lay the black tarp and trim it to size, then put the mulch down.
This morning I looked out the window and saw we had like a 2 mph wind, so I got busy. Naturally, as soon as I got the tarps down, the winds picked up and I no longer had tarps – they became kites. No matter, after I retrieved them I weighted that shit down and went to work.
It’s a hell of an improvement. When I get paid in a couple weeks I’ll buy some cedar fence poles and lay them around the edges for a frame. I think it’ll look real nice with that. Lisa’s wanting to plant flowers in the wheelbarrow and in pots that will be scattered around it.
Now if the yard will only green the rest of the way up and fill in…..

This entry was posted in Wirecutter. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Today’s project

1. drjim says:

Why, Kenny….I didn’t know Miss Lisa had you so “domesticated”!

Seriously, it looks very nice.

2. Rob says:

Looks pretty green to me!

3. Critter says:

Well, and the burned patches….

4. Roger says:

I didn’t see any target holders, no berm and no place for gro-lights???

5. 9Booger says:

Got a couple inches of snow here, so it is nice seeing something green, even in a pic, might see 50 on Monday
    sick of winter

6. Chris says:

“Bevis, he said ʻRoundup heh heh”
    Here in Hawaii everyone except our awesome farmers, hate Roundup!
    Keep up the spraying!
    Chris

7. Mark Simko says:

What a nice-looking place for CharlieGD to take care of business.

8. Elmo says:

I see the two birdhouses. What’s that on the double hanger?

9. For the best looking and lowest maintenance lawn check into zoysia grass at http://zoysias.com/

10. paulb says:

Nice you are building a home for flying crap factories. Can’t say much though as the mow-able area in my back yard is a third of what it was do to the wife’s gardening. Birds like all the feeders though. Most of them are not big enough to eat and then ones that are you won’t. Good to see you doing something green.

11. Dale T Whale says:

Don’t use plastic or a tarp under mulch use it only under rock. As the mulch decays you will get weeds regardless of the tarp. You will regret doing it in 3-5 years. Landscapers do it because its time intensive and can charge more. I have both tarp and non tarp mulch and the non tarp mulch is much easier to deal with. (planting, raking, heavy downpours etc)
    Also, Use a surfactant with round up. It takes away the surface tension of the water so it ‘sticks’ to the leaves and will not bead up. HUGE difference in killing power.

This is my first post BTW. Love your site!!

DTW

• pigpen51 says:

Welcome, Dale. If you have been watching here much, you will know just how dangerous this blog is to your sanity. But thanks for the tip about the surfactant. I wish I had known that when I was working in a trailer park a couple of years ago. I actually never knew that they had one available.

Rock costs money and I already had the tarps. We po’ folk. Gotta work with what you got.

12. DW says:

Looks good Ken. We all know you have to make the wife happy, if uou want a happy home. Looking forward to some more pics this summer.

13. hey@luis says:

Wow, that burnt grass grew back nice!

14. Skip says:

Yeah, where’s the berm the neighbor pushed up?

I haven’t seen him since the day he told me that. I don’t know if the fucker died or what.
      My backstop now is a load of firewood stacked 7 feet high.

15. donnie says:

I know what you need. One of them shiny glass balls on a pedestal. They were the mark of high distinction among the upper crust of unreformed hill dwellers in my younger days….. and don’t forget the half-buried tractor tire. Lots of stuff you can do around that. My advice comes at no charge.

Shit, there’s a tractor tire down in the treeline! I was wondering what to do with that. Thanks!

• donnie says:

You can even paint it white if you want. That’s free too! heh. You’re welcome.

• Inbred Redneck says:

Miss Lisa- make him paint that tractor tire white before he puts it in the ground. Looks more high toned that way.

• Chet says:

Years ago, I had truck tires buried half way on both sides of the driveway and then set an old battery between each tire. You talk about tony! Wasn’t nobody in three counties around had anything like my driveway. Now I have to burn all my old tires. I try and save them for earth-day.
          Its best to burn tires at night. The smoke plume can be seen for 40 miles during daylight.

16. Westcoastdeplorable says:

Looks nice, Kenny. But next time you run out of Roundup you might consider using the following recipe and I swear it works better than Roundup and isn’t nearly as hazardous:

1 gal Vinegar
    2 cups Epson salts
    1/4 cup Dawn dish soap

Mix it up in a sprayer and weeds be gone!

Play nice.