Yeah, that oughta work…

First Congregational Church of Oakland shares a neighborhood with many homeless people, and they often come to the church in times of mental health crises. Sometimes church members feel unequipped to deal with the erratic behavior: the most heart-wrenching scenes, volunteer leader Nichola Torbett says, are the times when the church is closing for the day, and a person with nowhere else to go absolutely refuses to leave the building.

At least once or twice a month, at their wits’ end, the church members call 911.

Now, the church has joined a small handful of like-minded congregations with a radical goal: to stop calling the police. Not for mental health crises, not for graffiti on their buildings, not even for acts of violence. These churches believe the American police system, criticized for its impact especially on people of color, is such a problem that they should wash their hands of it entirely.
-Peter

This entry was posted in Race, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Yeah, that oughta work…

1. Andrew says:

This will end well…

2. bogsidebunny says:

Freakin “feel good” dopes. I’ll feel good when one of those mental cases whack a dozen of the sob-sister assholes.

3. Winston Smith says:

I love a good retard story. And I aint talkin about the bums.

Pass the popcorn Kenny- this has potential as a long running series.

Hey, these guys have inspired me. What say we pull ALL LE out of southern californicatia and film the whole thing. And DONT allow any libtards to leave. Would be #1 in the Neilsens for sure.

4. Michael says:

Here’s the money shot:

“As members discuss self-defense, they’ve also decided that they will not arm anyone at the church with any weapon.”

Because Oakland has no gang members with weapons wanting to rob a congregation.

5. Mike_C says:

What was that thing David Burge said?

Something along the lines of: 1) identify a respected institution, 2) kill it, 3) gut it, and 4) wear its carcass as a skin suit while demanding respect ?

6. Rob says:

When you won’t call the cops is there still law?

7. Mike says:

I think I have to go along with the church on this. There are damn few situations that improve when you add a cop to the mix.

8. fjord says:

Wow.
    The weak and stupid are self sacrificing themselves at the PC altar of virtue signalling.

Darwin approves.

9. Critter says:

A church in Birmingham tried this approach a few years ago. After a few parishioners were assaulted and the elders got tired of bums shitting in the pews they took up calling them police again.

10. Rowland says:

I think I recall a phrase: “play stupid games, win stupid prizes”.

I like how they want to create a group of people to defend the neighborhood. And if that group is needed full time and wants a salary, then we have a police department! Ooops.

11. Alex Mason says:

It didn’t work out for Rajneeshpuram either. That saying, those who don’t learn history….