A Day on the Job

Fuck that. I built towers in the army but most of the ones I worked on were under 200 feet tall, and once the tower was up most of my work was done inside the tower structure where the danger of slipping and falling was minimal. It was safe enough that I never wore a safety belt once the tower was completed and I was installing antennae.

This entry was posted in Videos, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to A Day on the Job

1. Roger.45 says:

And burger flippers think they’re worth $15.00 per hour.

2. Gryphon says:

Honest Work for Real Men – gender confused need not apply.

Kenny – What kind of Towers did You guys have? AN/ number or?
    When I was into Ham Radio in High School I did the Climbing Part of 150′ of Rohn 18 Triangular Mast, 10′ at a Time with a Gin Pole. Safety Belt with 2 Straps, Never Both disconnected at the same Time

The two towers we had assigned to the unit was an AB-595/U and an AB-216/U, both of which had sections assembled on the ground, then hoisted up to us and set in place using a gin pole.
      The 216 could be erected higher, was easier to build, had a higher wind survivability rate and was much more stable. The ladders and working platforms were inside the towers sections which measured 6′ high, 6′ long and 4′ across.
      I also worked with AB-105s and various self supporting structures that were erected many years before by the German Government.

I never worked with any Rohns until I got out of the army, working for an antennae service. I hated those bastards.

• Gryphon says:

Thanks – That little Rohn stuff was Junk, but it’s what all the Hams think is ‘Good’. I never have had issues with Heights- a lot of the Aviation Work I have done was with Helicopters, and if it was a Nice Day, Doors Off, I always would Sit on the Deck with My Boots on the Footstep, looking Down. Always wore a Belt, but the way a Helo Turns, it tends to Push You towards the Center of the Bird, not Out.

3. B says:

Pretty calm day there. I mean, for that high, it should be a LOT windier.

4. sa says:

i’ll never forget the day i was up on the steel and looked down and saw the crane operator tipping back a half pint. Fuck….but back then i probably smoked a joint on the way into work

5. paulb says:

Well that work is best done by the young and fearless. Bout the worst I ever did was hang some vents on the top of a 36′ 9 ring bin. after it was up. We did not have any safety equipment so being on a tin roof that is greasy using the bolt head as steps probably was not the safest thing to do. But we did all live through it.

6. arc says:

Gota pass on this line of work, I’m pissy about climbing ontop of a one story roof.

7. Tsquared says:

I worked on a 750kw power transmission line. The highest I worked was about 275 feet. I stayed seriously fucked up when I wasn’t on the job.

8. Phssthpok says:

I must confess, it’s interesting to see just how the ‘industrial erector sets’ I build all day long are put together…

9. The DA says:

These fellas are just building up to the underside of “The Glass Ceiling”.

When they’re done, feminists like Hillary Clinton will waddle inside, take the express elevator to the top, and try to break it from underneath with their 0% (toxic) masculinity Nerf hammers.

10. STxRynn says:

I used to work on towers, broadcast stuff. Read a safety article about a kid that was a bit drunk showing off for his girl. He made 300 feet, inside one of those solid leg, 6 feet on a side towers. He fell, and by the time he hit the bottom, he was a stump. We go starfish when we fall, and all the extended bits were knocked off. I bet she was VERY impressed.

Standing on top of a pole on top of 1000 Louisiana St in Houston, lifting an absorber, by myself was the stupidest thing I’ve done. The most fun was building the candelabra on the Rohn 45G on top of that building at night. Hanging upside down, strapping coax to the bottom of the arms looking at a few stars straight up was too cool. Working with Dave and Chas was an honor.

I never went up without a belt, I had a family to provide for. Couldn’t do that dead.

11. Richard Watson says:

Check out the pic I sent you this AM

12. Westcoastdeplorable says:

Worked for many Radio stations over the years. One was an FM going through an upgrade and a new antenna was installed on the tower. This was in the midwest and so it had de-icing radomes on each of the horizontally & vertically polarized elements. Well to make a long story longer, the riggers installed it UPSIDE DOWN! We discovered this when riding the signal and couldn’t hear the station 10 miles away yet we started getting requests from a city 100 miles away! That and the lower radome caught on fire, so that antenna was toast. This station was messed up worse than WKRP in Cincinnati.