All it wanted was a little love

The video shows traffic backed up in both directions on a two-lane road in Carroll County, Md., as a deputy with the local sheriff’s department appears to walk around and watch the groundhog.

Eventually, he pulls his gun and shoots the animal twice. A day after the incident, the video of it unfolding has gained popularity on social media in a Facebook post.

In the video, the deputy appears to back away at times from the groundhog and then approach it. The animal walks one way and then stops. The deputy backs up as the groundhog comes toward him, then kneels down on one knee and shoots it twice.
MORE/VIDEO

*****

My thoughts are it was probably rabid and needed to be shot. Groundhogs and rockchucks don’t follow humans around, they haul ass.

Here’s one I popped from the back porch at 70 yards a month or two ago. I’d been trying to get a shot at that fucker for damned near two years. He’d been tearing up my yard near the the treeline and all I’d get was a glimpse of him about once a month before he ducked and scurried for the brush. This time the little bastard got ballsy and decided to make a stand. That 22-250 hit him across the back and damned near gutted him, which is the reason you’re seeing him from the front. That shit was nasty.

He was pretty good sized, right about 20 inches long and a good 10 pounds. I’ve always understood they’re a community animal but after I shot this one, I haven’t seen any sign at all of others being around.

This entry was posted in To Protect and Serve. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to All it wanted was a little love

1. DixieDennis says:

I had a few of them living at the bottom of my yard. My garden is at the bottom of my yard. Past tense-HAD a few. BTW-that looks like a little feller, they can get over 30#. You have more around.
    DixieDennis

2. Towser says:

Yeah, no love for groundhogs here. If the cop could get close enough to shoot him with a pistol, something was wrong. We ain’t talking Ol Phil here. I didn’t read the article but if the critter was in a farmer’s field, likely the farmer would be thanking the deputy as they tear up the fields something awful and wreak havoc on tractors.

3. rightwingterrorist says:

They’re pretty tasty.

4. Dan Patterson says:

.22-250.
    Good thing you hit the groundhog or the bullet would’ve traveled around the world and hit you in the back.

5. Winston Smith says:

Seems like people that have spent any time outside a city (inside a car doesn’t count) know that any whistlepig that comes close to you means something is seriously wrong with it.

Dig you know that those fuckers can climb trees like nobodys business?

6. crazyeighter says:

About like the same border war I’ve been waging in my front yard for the last two years. Gotta be careful about my shooting though; I have to shoot toward the road and I’ve got horses on three sides of me.Those fuckers will flat ruin the landscaping.

7. C.R. says:

I spotted one behind the house last week I have been trying to whack them with the .22 but its just not enough for the job. I had dialed in the Mini 14 a while back(had to have a scope, cant see the irons too well), so I figured I’d try her out on the varmint . I have a window on that end of the house so i popped the bastard through the screen,and dropped it like a bad habit. the house makes a good blind…

8. steve tompkins says:

many years ago, when I was but 12 or so, a squirrel ran up to a bunch of us kids playing. kept running up to us and dashing back, repeatedly. told my dad, and he decided something was wrong with it and shot him with a shotgun. about one half hour later a man walked up to the house wondering if anyone had seen his pet squirrel. oddly no one had.

9. Larry says:

.22-250 will sure do a number on ground hogs, rockchucks, marmots. My uncle’s blue heeler gorged on innards and had to be helped up into the pickup bed once. His stomach was so distended. He slept for quite a while and was useless for helping herd the cattle that night. Great dog, but if you ran, he’d nip at your heels and do his damdest to make you go where he thought you needed to go. He was a real assholes about that.

10. Jason says:

Who calls the police on a groundhog. Who stops their car for a groundhog.

11. Gryphon says:

Very Likely Rabid. I had a Raccoon wander into my Garage in the afternoon, threw a Tool at it and it didn’t Run, so I took the .45 and Capped it- County tested it as Rabid. Critters Don’t approach People unless they are Sick.
    And Groundhogs? I have a Horse (along with someone else’s Dozen) in the Yard, Anything that Digs Holes is going to Die.

12. Westcoastdeplorable says:

When I was about 15 we lived on 60 acres and raised beef cattle, hogs, and ponies. As you might expect, we had a corn crib, and this bastard groundhog (about the size of yours) was stealing from it. Well one morning I was ready for the little sob and was packin’ my Dad’s 38 S&W Police special. Got the fucker right between the eyes. Once I was certain he was DOA I picked him up and laid him on top of a flat rock right where I knew my Dad would be driving up. Got a good laugh out of him!

13. BigCity says:

Kenny,
    The groundhog incident happened less than a mile from my house. This morning, coming back fro the gym, somebody put a handmade sign that said
    RIP Mr. Groundhog :(

14. putz says:

Just read a bunch of the comments after the story. There are some ignorant SOBs out there. The cop did the absolute right thing to an animal that was acting very out of character. There were a couple of voices of reason but a whole lot of serious stupid going on in the comments.

15. Howard says:

If you ever decide to trap them, try marshmallow for bait. Domesticated cats won’t go for it, but at least wood chucks and raccoons do.