Ammo plant burns

BOX ELDER, S.D. (AP) — A fire erupted Tuesday at a South Dakota ammunition plant where more than 2 million rounds of ammunition were stored, destroying the facility and prompting evacuations because of initial fears of exploding bullets.

The blaze was reported around 10:40 a.m. at the Ultramax Ammunition company in Box Elder, a city just east of Rapid City. No injuries have been reported, and firefighters for a time decided to stay back and allow the facility to burn. Authorities don’t know what caused the fire.
-Exile1981

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Ammo plant burns

1. Peaowed says:

… “fears of exploding bullets” …. ??

2. Al says:

Ya well smells like arson! I would be checking around some of local anti gun people! As far as rounds cooking off they really are not a problem I often, before the shortage, would throw a hand full of 22s in a fire and the worst thing that happened was some embers got kicked out of the burn area. Big deal!

• crazyeighter says:

Except for making you wanna cry, some good info here, debunking Common Knowledge about ammo in fires:

3. Sanders says:

I wouldn’t have been too concerned about anything exploding. I’ve shot Ultramax ammo. Even Wolf is better and cleaner.

4. Andrew says:

So, noble Wirecutter, since you worked at an ammo plant, what’s your take on this ammo fire?

I can see where the large storage containers of powder could be a problem, but I’m sure that BATFE has regulations on those.

Seriously. What’s up with safety at an ammo plant? Did you guys worry about a fire? And as Sanders points out above, maybe it’s due to shitty Utramax stuff?

The ammo plant I worked at manufactured only the mortar projectiles, grenade bodies and 40 mm cannon cases, then we sent them to Rock Island Illinois for assembly and loading.
      We had acids and corrosives on site for manufacturing purposes, but no explosives whatsoever.

5. ASM826 says:

Bullets are inert. No need to be afraid they will explode.