At least it wasn’t a nuke this time

For more than two weeks now a container of grenade rounds has been missing in western North Dakota. It fell off a vehicle from the Minot Air Force Base. There is a reward on offer for anyone finding the container, and a way to submit tips (even anonymously) if you have information.

“The ammunition is considered safe as long as the container is intact, the Air Force said,” Amy Dalrymple reports for the Bismarck Tribune. That’s cold comfort given that someone finding a container like that is likely to want to open it.
-Jim

This entry was posted in Forgot to categorize. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to At least it wasn’t a nuke this time

1. czechsix says:

I think I saw that they’re missing a M240 also now, lol. Lots of shit gonna be pushed in, that’s for sure.

2. Kris says:

Some people have all the luck.

3. POd American says:

Fell out a truck my spotted white ass….sell that bullshit story to a kindercare class.

4. crazyeighter says:

Somewhere, a truck driver is doing a Carpet Dance in front of a bird Colonel.

5. Glenfilthie says:

If I found them – no way would I give them back. I would take a couple to the dump and throw them at the junked cars for fun and to develop my marksmanship. Then I would daisy chain a half dozen and blow up the skeet tower at the gun club which should net me enough broken clays for a whole summer of perfect scores. And the rest I’d take fishin’!

• Professor hale says:

Wouldn’t be much use without a launcher of some sort. They are grenade rounds (40mm?), not hand grenades. But you can dream.

6. Nemo says:

“fell off a vehicle”. RRRIIIGGGHHHTTT!!! and I’ve got a bridge I’ll sell you, CHEAP!

7. Glider Rider says:

I’m sure it just randomly “fell” off a truck. I wonder what a container of grenade rounds go for on the underground market?

8. Professor hale says:

Safe even if opened. They are designed to take a beating without blowing up on the good guys

9. Richard Watson says:

“Fell off of a truck” is a euphemism.

10. SgtBob says:

Oh, where to begin?

“’An engine fell out of a B-52 bomber during a training mission northeast of Minot on Wednesday,’ KXNews reports.”

Did the engine fall out of a bomb bay or a wheel well? How about from a wing?

And then: “’The ammunition is considered safe as long as the container is intact, the Air Force said,’ Amy Dalrymple reports for the Bismarck Tribune. That’s cold comfort given that someone finding a container like that is likely to want to open it.”

So opening the container arms the ammunition, and if somebody breaths too hard on it, all the rounds go all splodey.

11. l2a3 says:

No Ammunition Supply Point ever said: “Don’t bring them back. You signed for them, you get rid of them”. Wanna bet??? It is amazing how much Ammo is found buried in the ground, in ponds/lakes on training areas.

• Sabre22 says:

With Rifle rounds if you do not shoot it you have to count individual rounds with fired rounds you weigh the brass. i wonder if Grenade rounds are the same? They will need A Mk-19 to shoot them though. The 240 is another kettle of fish

12. Gryphon says:

Surprisingly, “Fell Off a Truck” may just be Correct; how many Times do you see Articles about the Bank Truck dropping a Bag of Cash?
    And Obviously, Whomever Found the Box of Grenades Wanted to Keep them, as the Average Snowflake would have called the Po-Lice right away.

13. A university lab in Idaho recently realized they misplaced the enriched uranium that they’d been lent for testing purposes. A box of ammunition recently fell out of an Army helicopter and crashed through the roof of a Texas elementary school. A box of grenade rounds seems about par for the course.