Oklahoma governor vetoes Constitutional Carry

OKLAHOMA CITY – Governor Mary Fallin has vetoed a bill that would have allowed for permit-less carry.

Senate Bill 1212, also referred to as the “Constitutional Carry” bill, was presented by Sen. Nathan Dahm, R-Broken Arrow.

The bill passed the Oklahoma House of Representatives last week. It also passed the Oklahoma Senate by a vote of 33 to 9. It would have allowed for open carry without a permit.

Friday, Gov. Fallin vetoed the bill saying:
-Steven

This entry was posted in Gun Control, Okies. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Oklahoma governor vetoes Constitutional Carry

1. OzarkDarter says:

Completely unsurprising to this Okie. Once again the elected conservative betrays the people because they just couldn’t allow the state to miss out on the tax revenue from concealed carry permits.

What’s a permit cost there in Oklahoma? Total cost?
      I paid 70 bucks for the required class here in Tennessee, then $65 for the permit itself with a Veteran’s discount. Without that, I think the permit is $130 and the permit is good for 5 years.

• Cederq says:

My permit here in the wilds of South Dakota costs $10.00 for 5 years…

• john says:

$60 in KY

Hell, that ain’t bad.
          In California, between the class, the background check, the fingerprinting and the permit costs, you’re out close to $500 and 2 years of your life.

• Jax says:

AZ, ZERO. A permit is the thuggish pig govt allowing you to have your god given rights. Any state without constitutional carry is a slave state.

Yet according to the IP that is supplied to me when you comment, your remarks came from Los Angeles, California, one of the most restrictive cities in one of the most restrictive States in the country as far as Gun Rights go.
              Up until 2 years ago I lived in a fairly conservative part of California (Stanislaus County) and yes, I carried a gun without a permission slip every day, and yes, I risked going to jail every day.

While I agree that the entire Nation should have Constitutional Carry, the simple fact of the matter is it doesn’t. So let me ask you this: If your State does allow CC, what good does that do you when you travel to or through a State that requires a permit? Explain to the judge that your State allows CC so you can just kiss my ass, your Honor?

Ideals and opinions are fine, but you also have to deal with reality.

• T. Rose says:

$100 for five years. $200 for 10 years. $85 for renewal or expired for five years, $170 for renewal or expired for 10 years.

Retired LE has to pay for the application for 10 years and has to undergo background check like all citizens. The only problem is the LE permit is only good for in state. A total joke if you want to carry outside the state.

2. idaho bob says:

I would hope that they have enough votes to override this communist bitch’s veto.

We have constitutional carry here, in Idaho.

Bob

3. Unclezip says:

I don’t know how Ok works, but it seems they would have enough votes to override the veto. And with the representatives voting against the wishes of the incumbent harridan governor, election time should be interesting.

4. bogsidebunny says:

This travesty is, of course, a direct result of the stupid 19th Amendment.

5. crazyeighter says:

From another article:

The state bureau of investigation, which issues handgun licenses, had opposed the bill, saying it would cost the agency about $4.7 million annually and result in the loss of about 60 full-time positions.

Well, that seems a good enough reason to continue the infringement of a Constitutional right.

According to the article, the OK legislature has gone home for the year, will have to go through the whole dreary mess again after the election.

And at that, I’m envious; Tennessee has had a “Republican” Governor and a “Republican” supermajority in the legislature for the last eight years and Constitutional Carry has been killed (by “Republicans”) in committee every year. At least the Okies get to see how their representatives vote on the issue; Tennesseans have one or two backstabbing cocksuckers (different ones every year) that decide the matter for the whole state..

Ken, those numbers sound about right; and you got a bargain on that class; I think I paid about $150 for my class in ’96.

But I’ve decided I’ve bought my last permission slip from the state. When mine runs out, I’m not renewing.

• Jax says:

Wow, IOW “To hell with your rights, we’re making money off of your enslavement” Rat bastards have black souls, nothing but prostitutes.

6. JeremyR says:

This is a tough call. I like the idea of Constitutional carry, but I also like having people who do carry trained in use of the weapon and use of force. I would say that 99% of people with Concealed Carry Permits are more upstanding than the average LEO.

• Sonny says:

Well said Jeremy. I agree 100%. I was a a small arms specialist in the air force (mos 75330) it was unbelievable how many fine young men I saw that had never even touched a weapon much less shot one. My vote is allow constitutional carry but require a one time weapons safety and training course with a free lifetime drivers license endorsement that shows successful completion of course

My only problem with Tennessee (and many other states) is the fact that DMV is involved at all. That makes you a target for a search when traveling through gun-unfriendly states such as New Jersey.

• JeremyR says:

The solution to that is to place CCW permit holders above LEOs in ranking; a member of law enforcement cannot ask a CCW permit holder if they are carrying, cannot disarm them, nor interfere with their right to carry unless the person is under indictment for a violent felony.

• Sonny says:

Did not think about that Ken,Damn you’re right. IDK got to be someway for the leo to know. Jeremy I disagree with your comment below on ranking. How about if your ffl back ground check shoes that. You have had the training. ?? not a solution, just a small step towards educating the public the truth about the difference of an armed society vs an unarmed society. Take your pick there, history is full of it . I stand by my statement, the untrained. should not be allowed to even purchase a firearm

• Chet says:

I have been carrying some kind of weapon since I was 14. I am now 72. I don’t have any stinkin’ license to do what God intended me to do, and that is protect me and mine and take whatever food presents itself. In the aspect of protecting, I have used guns to convince others they were wrongfully intruding on my rights.
            There have been several times some asshole cop walked away from my truck never knowing how close he was to having his head turned into splatter. And these new mellinneal scum cops are just begging to have their stupid heads removed. They don’t understand that they shouldn’t fuck with old men who know more than they do. Because we have lived it. They have only read about life on Facefuck.

7. Aesop says:

Pisser huh?

I guess their so-called Republican governator (who was a Democrat right up until she started running for statewide offices) didn’t get the memo that she’s in a red state, huh?

Good luck blaming that screw-up on California.
    Usually where Okies are concerned, blame goes the other way around.

So does anyone there plan to recall her now, or just dump her into the private sector? IIRC, she’s out the door this time around anyways. And with a 33-9 vote in the state senate, a quick override should be a formality.

Guess she doesn’t ever want to do anything else in OK from now until hell freezes over.

• Ken says:

Unfortunately, there’s no recall process in Oklahoma and her term is up in January of next year. The legislature is already adjourned and won’t meet until next year after elections in November. The only bright side is that every Republican candidate for governor, has said he would have signed the bill or one like it, if elected.

8. Ken says:

I have come up with three new nicknames for Fallin, Judas Mary, Fallin the RINO, or Bloomberg’s newest cockholster. She did this to increase her support among anti-gunners and she sold her constituents down the river.

• Chet says:

You and T.Rose write like you are from OK. So, let me ask you. WTF is wrong with OK?
      I cross the Red River at Dennison, TX and enter what looks like a third-world country.
      From Dennison south to around Hillsboro, TX is nothing but go-go-make-money-build-build-go-go. The Dallas-Fort Worth Metro-Plex is hell-on-wheels…economies exploding.
      New rooftops going up everywhere.

Then I cross the Red River and it is almost as bad as going into Mexico. The dirt is the same. Same weather. Same water. But there is NO economy. No BOOM! There are cars on blocks, small towns slowly dying, Indian Casinos along every major road. But other than that, nothing. I have driven down miles of turnpike with forests on both sides. But no logging going on.

Southeastern OK is a shithole.

Wtf is up with that? Is it the Indian mentality? Because most of that land is all prior Indian Rez. Why aren’t you white-guys over there teaching your state-brothers how to thrive, boost their economy, make more jobs? There is no reason the DFW boom couldn’t come across the Border, why isn’t it? The DFW boom has got to be about 100 times what you all have going on in the OK-City/Norman/Tulsa complex. Why don’t any of you want to plow that ground?

My family did the Grapes of Wrath thing back in the 30s. I’ve never lived in Oklahoma, have no desire to live there and can’t give you any kind of intelligent answer.

The only thing I can come up with is maybe they’re resisting the Dallas/FW economy, as any sane person would. Who in their right mind would want to live in urban sprawl?

9. T. Rose says:

Yeah, can’t wait to get Fallin out of here so she can start her new job as trailer park manager down in Idabel, Oklahoma since she has personal experience on the ground of the state mansion. Not demeaning where people live, everyone has to live somewhere with the money they can afford to live. My place as a kid was a dirt floor shack in northern Arkansas.

I can’t list one positive thing she has done as Governor. All she has is the first female Governor title and, the first female Lt. Gov. title. She had a chance to stand up for leadership when the teachers walked out this last session, but she was MIA as was the current Lt. Gov. who is running for the Governor.

One thing is for certain, the bitch burned her political bridges down on the way out. Most of our recent governors have gone to U.S. Senators: Bellmon & Boren.

As far as these other candidates go, they can say anything they want until the nut cutting time comes, then we’ll see.

10. Alemaster says:

I’m a believer in Constitutional Carry, open carry is CC here in KY, but the possession of a “permission card” does allow one to carry in states having reciprocity. If one’s state cares enough to “shall issue” then it probably cares enough to have said reciprocity with a large number of equally free states (again, “Thanks Kentucky!”) As for the anti freedom northern and left coast states, I have no reason to spend time or money there. regards, Alemaster