Sgt MacKenzie

Original Scottish Version
Lay me doon in the caul caul groon
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun
Lay me doon in the caul caul groon
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun When they come a wull staun ma groon
Staun ma groon al nae be afraid Thoughts awe hame tak awa ma fear
Sweat an bluid hide ma veil awe tears Ains a year say a prayer faur me
Close yir een an remember me Nair mair shall a see the sun
For a fell tae a Germans gun Lay me doon in the caul caul groon
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun Lay me doon in the caul caul groon
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun

English Translation
Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone
Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone When they come I will stand my ground
Stand my ground I’ll not be afraid Thoughts of home take away my fear
Sweat and blood hide my veil of tears Once a year say a prayer for me
Close your eyes and remember me Never more shall I see the sun
For I fell to a Germans gun Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone
Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone Where before many more have gone

In memory of Sgt. Charles Stuart MacKenzie
Seaforth Highlanders
Who along with many others gave up his life so that we can live free. We will remember them

This entry was posted in Music, Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Sgt MacKenzie

1. Tom W. says:

This and In Flanders Field. The original song and poem gets me every time.

Plus the final battle scene in We Were Soldiers where they play this song also.

Lest We Forget.

2. czechsix says:

Timely piece.

All Honors to them.

3. MauserMedic says:

Listened to it from the We Were Soldiers CD at Ft. McCoy in ’03 many while waiting to deploy to Iraq. Good soldier’s song.

4. swimologist says:

The best thing the English could have done was stay out or WWI AND WWII. Dumbasses

• Matthew Wall says:

What planet are you living on?

• Kenny the Scot says:

One day President Roosevelt told me that he was asking publicly for suggestions about what the war should be called. I said at once “the Unnecessary War.” There never was a war more easy to stop than that which has just wrecked what was left of the world from the previous struggle. The human tragedy reaches its climax in the fact that after all the exertions and sacrifices of hundreds of millions of people and the victories of the Righteous Cause we have still not found Peace or Security, and that we lie in the grip of even worse perils than those we have surmounted.

Churchill, Winston. The Gathering Storm: The Second World War, Volume 1 (Winston Churchill World War II Collection) (Kindle Locations 45-49). RosettaBooks. Kindle Edition.

5. Jason says:

The story behind this song is interesting. If I recall correctly it was written for the writers grandfather who died in WWII. The grandmother told him that she was at home when the picture of her husband unexpectedly fell off the mantle and broke at the moment he was killed. When the picture fell she knew what had happened.

6. SgtBob says:

A Danish exchange student said, “In the cemetery at Normandy, the crosses go on forever. Down the hill and into the trees, they go on forever.”

7. pigpen51 says:

My uncle was an Army lifer, who spent time in Korea and Vietnam. He spoke of the Australians in Vietnam, and their bravery. On this memorial weekend, I salute all of those who served in the fight for freedom, both our own, and those of other nations. There is no greater love than a man to lay down his life for his friends. I am forever grateful to those who gave me the freedom to read and write on the internet without worry of arrest, or worse. Truly heroes, each one of them.

8. =TW= says:

These seem appropriate:

The guitars in the second one remind me of skirling pipes. (Achieved with EBow I believe.)

Books by Robt. Graves, T.E. Lawrence, ee Cummings, and W Churchill shed some light on the darkness of WW I
    Erich Maria Remarque’s All Quiet on the Western Front shows a different perspective.
    A couple of movie versions are available.

9. Kenny the Scot says:

Many a gravestone where I live carries the badge not of the Seaforth Highlanders, who were based farther north, but of the Gordon Highlanders. The singers in this video says, I will stand my ground – the motto of the Gordon Highlanders is “Bydand”. This is from the Scottish – when the trouble starts and things are looking really bad, what do you do? You stay and fight. Or in Scottish, you bide and fecht.

I was out walking the other day and passed by the cemetery in Banff, a small town on the NE Coast. There was a sign up beside the gate saying it was a Commonwealth War Graves site. I went in and had a look and took a few photos. Lots of stones with the Gordon Highlanders badge, lots of young men killed in places like Arras. And a small section of the graveyard which was extremely well maintained, where there were a series of gravestones bearing the RAF badge. These young men and women served their countries, and should never be forgotten:

Walter Mair, Leading Seaman, Royal Navy.
    William Wilson, Master, Merchant Navy.
    Annie Hosie, Leading Wren, Womens Royal Naval Service.
    Henry Sharp, Lance Sergeant, Gordon Highlanders.
    George Cormack, Private, Gordon Highlanders.
    B. Gregor, Driver, Royal Field Artillery.
    J.M. McLeod, Private, Royal Scots.
    O.D. Paterson, Engineer, Merchant Marine.
    R.G. Shearer, Private, Royal North Lancashire Regiment.
    A. Smith, Skipper, Royal Naval Reserve.
    H. Stephen, Lance Corporal, Royal Engineers.
    F. Thom, Private, Gordon Highlanders.
    Ernest Pennington, Flying Officer, Royal Canadian Air Force.
    Lewis Robert Bacon, Flight Lieutenant, Royal Air Force.
    George Bottomly, Lieutenant, Gordon Highlanders.
    Darrel Crimp, Flight Lieutenant, Royal Air Force.
    Ernest Davey, Flying Officer, Royal Canadian Air Force.
    Donald Douglas, Flight Lieutenant, Royal Canadian Air Force.
    Ronald Ellis, Flight Sergeant, Royal Australian Air Force.
    Thomas Hampton, Flight Sergeant, Royal Australian Air Force.
    Harold Haynes, Flying Officer, Royal New Zealand Air Force.
    Charles Ironside, Sergeant, Royal Air Force.
    Owen Mason, Flight Lieutenant, Royal Air Force.
    Alexander Moggach, Sergeant, Royal Air Force.
    David Munro, Flight Sergeant, Royal Australian Air Force.
    William Reid, Flying Officer, Royal Air Force.
    Louis Robinson, Flying Officer, Royal Canadian Air Force.
    Ernest Simonson, Flying Officer, Royal Canadian Air Force.
    Frederick Stickel, Flying Officer, Royal Canadian Air Force.
    Vincent Surbey, Sergeant, Royal Canadian Air Force.
    Cecil Toft, Flight Sergeant, Royal Australian Air Force.
    John Upperton, Flight Sergeant, Royal Air Force.

10. Kenny the Scot says:

There are war memorials all over Scotland. Here’s one I visited not long ago – the one on the West Coast for the sailors of the Arctic Convoys:

11. Djamer says:

Thank you sir. In loving memory of my father, and both grandfather’s, who fought on opposite sides, but survived to create me, and my entire family. . .

12. Djamer says:

Kenny, are all of my comments disappearing because I said Paypal is owned by a Demontard. Did my check bounce? Jusswondrin. . .

Nope, the only comments I’ve seen from you today were this one and the comment on the Sgt MacKenzie post.
      Are you getting a message like “This comment is awaiting moderation” or something along those lines or is it just disappearing when you hit submit? Any details you can give me would be helpful.
      I’ll go to the WP forums and see if they can tell me anything.
      Sorry ’bout that, I hate to see my readers disappointed by anything as far as the site goes.